I turned down an overseas contract job today - Page 2

I turned down an overseas contract job today

This is a discussion on I turned down an overseas contract job today within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Betting it all and spinning the wheel isn't nearly as thrilling as it used to be. In fact, it has become downright unappealing....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: I turned down an overseas contract job today

VIP Member
    Betting it all and spinning the wheel isn't nearly as thrilling as it used to be. In fact, it has become downright unappealing.
    airslot, G-man*, TSKnight and 6 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Senior Moderator
    Wise choice.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Betting it all and spinning the wheel isn't nearly as thrilling as it used to be. In fact, it has become downright unappealing.
    Pretty much what I decided. The money was very tempting, but I gotta be honest here...Iím older and slower and have much more to lose than I did in my younger days.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Isn't putting together a special team of old retired guys for a dangerous mission overseas the plot to The Expendables?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    It is kind of hard coming to the realization that we aint what we used to be.
    Thats really the issue I do believe. Iím not aging with grace here, and coming to terms with some of the changes that come with aging is, well, more difficult than I would have expected.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I really canít believe it took me so long to say ď no thanksĒ.

The background is, I was contacted by an old friend, who was accepting a job in Afghanistan, who was asked to find or recommend others who would meet the general requirements for this job. So, he got on the horn and gave me a call, as well as two of our old group that lives in Pennsylvania, and another in Texas.

Big money is offered, but out of curiosity, I asked what the job was, and why they would even consider us older guys.
    He said it was a State Department contract job, and that he did not know the particulars, but that it obviously had something to do with security, as one of the minimum requirements was a mid level security clearance, and a background that included some form of special operations training or experience.

Now, I would mostly certainly like to think I am up to it, but Iím going to have to admit to myself that not only do I think Iím a little unfit for this stuff, but ...., and probably the hardest thing to admit; is that itís a little scary at this point in my life.

There, I said it. The entire idea scares the hell out of me. I am entirely out of touch with the special ops community, and have no clue what is going on, or how things are done these days. It has been over 27 years since I left active duty.

I love my wife and family, I love my dog!

For two weeks I have turned this over in my mind, and tried to play out every angle and scenario, and anyway it plays out, I just do not trust the State Department or the idea of being back in the sandbox outside the protection of being a military service member.

Even though the job is only 6 months, I just canít bring myself to leave home. I donít want to be hung out to possibly die in some crap hole for something I know nothing about.

So today, I came to the realization that Iím not even a shadow of who I use to be. I now have to much to lose, and have fear.

Lol, thanks for listening, but I had to say it in some way. You read this entire thing just to hear me admit that I have lost my nerve!

But thanks for listening!
    Why does this sound like the set-up for a movie starring some aging action movie stars...

And on that note..well, a manís gotta know his limitations...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Isn't putting together a special team of old retired guys for a dangerous mission overseas the plot to The Expendables?
    Lol, I could only wish.

Im pretty sure we could be called The Expandables.
    MMinSC, OldVet, maxwell97 and 9 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

You're still as good as you once were, Chuck, but only once.

Dang! I could write a song about that.
    G-man*, Cuda66, OD* and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Wise choice and I bet you werenít the only family member glad you decided not to go.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Pretty much what I decided. The money was very tempting, but I gotta be honest here...Iím older and slower and have much more to lose than I did in my younger days.
    There is a reason 18 to 20 year olds take those kinds of jobs!

After the Hurricane in Puerto Rico, I had job offers promising buckets of money for guys that can get things done. But altho my mind is willing, My body is not up to it! All I was asked to do was hire local crews, and keep them going! And there was very little chance anyone would be shooting at me! Good Luck and now that you have decided, Be happy with that! DR

Be comfortable with your decision. Money, no matter how much, could never replace what might have been lost.

I had sort of that dilemma in 1990 when an Army Chaplain friend of mine recommended me to his command. I got a friendly letter offering me the rank of Captain and a position as a Chaplain in an air defense unit. Mrs OldChap told me I shouldnít even think about trying to keep up with the kids at the ripe age of 42. I would have given anything to just get to go back in the day, but alas common sense won the day.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Would that be considered a lost opportunity or just passing on a tempting bait with a sharp hook?

Funny how facing the truth about our selves tends to stir us up so.

Glad you came to the right decision.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

I turned down an overseas contract job today
    Good decision.

Back in 2004, my BIL (retired Army CWO in logistics) was contacted about a job in Iraq. He, in turn, called me, saying they needed guys - kinda similar to your situation.

The job was collecting and inventorying weapons and ammo from the recently defunct Iraqi army. In remote locations. With Iraqi security.

Big bucks, though. That was tempting.

I told him no thanks. He then turned 'em down, too. They don't pay big money for safe jobs.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    With my son's security clearance he couldn't get on social media. I think he lost that clearance when he quit his job. Sounds like some of you guys have lifetime security clearance. Just wondered how that works? Is this some kind of clearance that you pay for by the month?

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    G-Man: Welcome to the Old Man's Club. That's said with a hint of humor, and a twist of painful reality. For some folks, the transition from "active, fully engaged" to "Older, slower and hopefully wiser" is a fairly seamless transition...the grayness of routine blending seamlessly into the grayness of a slower and more relaxed pace.

BUT, it seems to me, that for those of us who have made a life habit of living life down at, or very near, the sharp and pointy "end of the spear", we find that transition a harder thing to wrestle with.

Maybe we have just been adrenaline junkies so long that by the time the testosterone levels drop down to a reasonable place , our brains begin to function better.

It's pretty inevitable, but dang, that realization comes tough for some of us.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links