I turned down an overseas contract job today - Page 3

I turned down an overseas contract job today

This is a discussion on I turned down an overseas contract job today within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by GpTom With my son's security clearance he couldn't get on social media. I think he lost that clearance when he quit his ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: I turned down an overseas contract job today

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    With my son's security clearance he couldn't get on social media. I think he lost that clearance when he quit his job. Sounds like some of you guys have lifetime security clearance. Just wondered how that works? Is this some kind of clearance that you pay for by the month?
    There are no lifetime SC's. If you leave a job that required a clearance, you have a 2 year grace period to find another clearance job (clearance goes from 'active' to 'current'). After that the clearance expires. Nobody pays for their clearance, monthly or whatever. If your job requires one, you obtain one through the agency or company you work for. If you take a new job that requires a SC that you don't have, you can normally get an interim clearance after an initial background investigation. I've seen this happen as quickly as 3-4 weeks before, but can take months depending on your history or other factors (bankruptcies, arrests and marrying foreign nationals will slow the process to a crawl). But to get the final SC, you still have to go through the full investigation and interview, which takes up to a year or more depending on SC level and any complications. For a 6 month job, if you pass the initial background investigation, then conceivably you could obtain an interim SC and be done with the job without ever having to go through the interview/polygraph process
    If you use JP-8, then it's technically not waterboarding

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You're confusing fear with common sense, I'm thinking.
    Thatís what I was thinking.

Now if I was young and qualified, it still would not be enough money.
    G-man*, airslot, OldChap and 3 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    There is a reason 18 to 20 year olds take those kinds of jobs!
    Iím wondering if the youngsters (thirties) passed on this one, too. Which might be why theyíre looking for us oldsters.
    G-man*, airslot, OldChap and 4 others like this.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I had something similar happen with me. Nothing special ops about it, but it was a welding gig in Afghanistan. Was told we'd be transported to and from the base in a convoy of 50 cal mounted humvees. Would have cleared just under $190k for the year. I came up with the same reasons for not going as you did. I've just got too much to lose here.

Distinguished Member Array darbo's Avatar
    I say good decision!

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Thats really the issue I do believe. Iím not aging with grace here, and coming to terms with some of the changes that come with aging is, well, more difficult than I would have expected.
    I think we are all paying for the excesses of our youth. Most of my aches and pains can be traced to either playing sports or my military service. No major health issues but lots of aches and pains so I guess I'm not doing too bad.

Hang in there bro.
    G-man*, airslot, OldChap and 1 others like this.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    There are no lifetime SC's. If you leave a job that required a clearance, you have a 2 year grace period to find another clearance job (clearance goes from 'active' to 'current'). After that the clearance expires. Nobody pays for their clearance, monthly or whatever. If your job requires one, you obtain one through the agency or company you work for. If you take a new job that requires a SC that you don't have, you can normally get an interim clearance after an initial background investigation. I've seen this happen as quickly as 3-4 weeks before, but can take months depending on your history or other factors (bankruptcies, arrests and marrying foreign nationals will slow the process to a crawl). But to get the final SC, you still have to go through the full investigation and interview, which takes up to a year or more depending on SC level and any complications. For a 6 month job, if you pass the initial background investigation, then conceivably you could obtain an interim SC and be done with the job without ever having to go through the interview/polygraph process
    I know a little bit about how a security clearance works. That is why I said what I did. People who have real security clearance don't get on social media telling about it. Or is it trying to brag like they have a clearance. The whole idea of a security clearance is to protect those who are involved. So it was just a necessity and we didn't go around bragging about it. I think a lot of guys who talk about security clearances are members of the oldbsers club. I know that you don't pay a fee for a REAL security clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    With my son's security clearance he couldn't get on social media. I think he lost that clearance when he quit his job. Sounds like some of you guys have lifetime security clearance. Just wondered how that works? Is this some kind of clearance that you pay for by the month?
    I donít have any security clearance now, that I know of. At one time I had a Top Security clearance for various assignments, and a top level clearance can be given for something as simple as working around crypto.

So no, itís not that anyone still has any clearance, but that unless we have jacked up lives, we are probably still eligible for at least a low to mid level clearance.

That is what that means.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

When I left my full-time job for a calling into ministry, I was under the impression my security clearance left too. I had to sit in a windowless office with a couple of armed guys signing pieces of paper from an inch high stack that stated (basically) that my firstborn would be forfeited if I ever talked about anything related to those papers.

I felt like I went from trusted to convicted felon in one hour. The final insult was when they asked me to surrender my passport, as I was restricted from leaving the country. It was only years later, when I had to get a passport, that I realized I had been under restrictions of not leaving the country for all that time. The lady at the passport office said they ran into people with those restrictions from time to time.

Since I've never seen or heard a peep about most of the stuff on those papers, I suppose I'll take that knowledge to my grave.

EDIT I had almost forgotten that my dad almost took a job in...of all places...Libya. He was a geologist and an oil company was looking for people to work over there. IIRC he said we would have been living in Tripoli. This was in the early 60's and the money was about four or five times what he made here, and there was no income tax. Every time I remember this, I thank the good Lord he decided not to go.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Central Indiana (where the ice sheets stopped)
    Anyone considering a foreign assignment would do well to request that the prospective employer provide a copy of ALL covenants, contracts, waivers, and agreements that require signature as part of the final steps preceding acceptance of an offer.

Read the documents word for word with the most conservative interpretation possible. If you are not well versed in employment contracts, spend a couple hundred dollars to have en employment attorney review them with you.

Every point on every document is negotiable as part of your pre-employment due diligence review. If something in the engagement is important (or threatening) to you and the employer can not or will not change than move on to the next opportunity. You would be surprised, however, how flexible an employer can be if they truly want to attract and retain your unique talents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Thatís what I was thinking.

Now if I was young and qualified, it still would not be enough money.
    I dunno... That's a fair amount of money.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I dunno... That's a fair amount of money.
    Yep. That made it real difficult. I could have done a lot with that.

But, apparently, I am not alone. I spoke to one of my buddies in PA this morning and he declined also.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Senior Moderator
    spend a couple hundred dollars to have en employment attorney review
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I really canít believe it took me so long to say ď no thanksĒ.

I love my wife and family, I love my dog!

Lol, thanks for listening, but I had to say it in some way. You read this entire thing just to hear me admit that I have lost my nerve!

But thanks for listening!
    Not your nerve, but you know what's important to you in this stage of your life.
    G-man*, svgheartland and Hoganbeg like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I think you made the right decision.
    G-man* likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links