I turned down an overseas contract job today

This is a discussion on I turned down an overseas contract job today within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really canít believe it took me so long to say ď no thanksĒ. The background is, I was contacted by an old friend, who ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: I turned down an overseas contract job today

I really canít believe it took me so long to say ď no thanksĒ.

The background is, I was contacted by an old friend, who was accepting a job in Afghanistan, who was asked to find or recommend others who would meet the general requirements for this job. So, he got on the horn and gave me a call, as well as two of our old group that lives in Pennsylvania, and another in Texas.

Big money is offered, but out of curiosity, I asked what the job was, and why they would even consider us older guys.
    He said it was a State Department contract job, and that he did not know the particulars, but that it obviously had something to do with security, as one of the minimum requirements was a mid level security clearance, and a background that included some form of special operations training or experience.

Now, I would mostly certainly like to think I am up to it, but Iím going to have to admit to myself that not only do I think Iím a little unfit for this stuff, but ...., and probably the hardest thing to admit; is that itís a little scary at this point in my life.

There, I said it. The entire idea scares the hell out of me. I am entirely out of touch with the special ops community, and have no clue what is going on, or how things are done these days. It has been over 27 years since I left active duty.

I love my wife and family, I love my dog!

For two weeks I have turned this over in my mind, and tried to play out every angle and scenario, and anyway it plays out, I just do not trust the State Department or the idea of being back in the sandbox outside the protection of being a military service member.

Even though the job is only 6 months, I just canít bring myself to leave home. I donít want to be hung out to possibly die in some crap hole for something I know nothing about.

So today, I came to the realization that Iím not even a shadow of who I use to be. I now have to much to lose, and have fear.

Lol, thanks for listening, but I had to say it in some way. You read this entire thing just to hear me admit that I have lost my nerve!

But thanks for listening!
    flh, Mike1956, msgt/ret and 50 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

When I was eighteen, I had all of the answers. Now that I am seventy-three, I don't have all of the questions.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

flh
    Smart man
    Risasi, G-man*, airslot and 7 others like this.

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

How much does it pay ÖÖ...

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    How much does it pay ÖÖ...
    $35 per hour, 24/7 which is about 24k per month
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Wise choice.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    GOOD DECISION.
    Stay home with your lovely family.
    That place is a crap hole. You can't tell who the good guys are when even those in friendly uniforms kill our boys.
    G-man*, airslot, OldChap and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    $35 per hour, 24/7 which is about 24k per month
    $840.00 / per day Ö...Hmmm....not bad at all.....what's the age limit.

Lost your nerve? Not near as bad as losing your mind. My son worked with those guys in Peshawar, and they do make the bucks, but it's easy to be making the big bucks today and meeting your maker tomorrow. Money won't buy happiness if you're dead, and you never see a hearse hauling a U-Haul trailer for the guy who is taking it all with him.
    Pete63, msgt/ret, G-man* and 15 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I really canít believe it took me so long to say ď no thanksĒ.

The background is, I was contacted by an old friend, who was accepting a job in Afghanistan, who was asked to find or recommend others who would meet the general requirements for this job. So, he got on the horn and gave me a call, as well as two of our old group that lives in Pennsylvania, and another in Texas.

Big money is offered, but out of curiosity, I asked what the job was, and why they would even consider us older guys.
    He said it was a State Department contract job, and that he did not know the particulars, but that it obviously had something to do with security, as one of the minimum requirements was a mid level security clearance, and a background that included some form of special operations training or experience.

Now, I would mostly certainly like to think I am up to it, but Iím going to have to admit to myself that not only do I think Iím a little unfit for this stuff, but ...., and probably the hardest thing to admit; is that itís a little scary at this point in my life.

There, I said it. The entire idea scares the hell out of me. I am entirely out of touch with the special ops community, and have no clue what is going on, or how things are done these days. It has been over 27 years since I left active duty.

I love my wife and family, I love my dog!

For two weeks I have turned this over in my mind, and tried to play out every angle and scenario, and anyway it plays out, I just do not trust the State Department or the idea of being back in the sandbox outside the protection of being a military service member.

Even though the job is only 6 months, I just canít bring myself to leave home. I donít want to be hung out to possibly die in some crap hole for something I know nothing about.

So today, I came to the realization that Iím not even a shadow of who I use to be. I now have to much to lose, and have fear.

Lol, thanks for listening, but I had to say it in some way. You read this entire thing just to hear me admit that I have lost my nerve!

But thanks for listening!
    You're confusing fear with common sense, I'm thinking.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

VIP Member
    Glad you didn't. Thinking I'm coming up that way in the spring/early summer. Planning on making a side trip to see you. (Mike is right about common sense! )
    G-man*, OldChap, OD* and 2 others like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Or, perhaps, who you were was a shadow of who you are now?

"The man, then, who faces and who fears the right things and from the right motive, in the right way and from the right time, and who feels confidence under the corresponding conditions, is brave; for the brave man feels and acts according to the merits of the case." - Aristotle
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    You have Not gained Fear...You have gained Wisdom!. Money is Not Everything,Life is!.

mkh
    Just me and a Sig 1911 in a foxhole somewhere in NE FL
    It is kind of hard coming to the realization that we aint what we used to be.

Retirement has changed me in so many ways. I could literally walk into any Ferrari or Lamborghini car dealership and lay down cash for any car on the lot. There was a time that would have been a fantasy but not anymore. I'm not sure if i have matured or just grown old. And I'm not sure if it even matters.
    dangerranger and 10thmtn like this.
    Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap he's up!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    You have Not gained Fear...You have gained Wisdom!. Money is Not Everything,Life is!.
    Yes Sir... with age comes wisdom. But not for a fool. Good choice G-man.
    Florida CWFL
    Member Florida Carry
    Member NRA

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links