Prepare!. - Page 26

Prepare!.

This is a discussion on Prepare!. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Havok The thought crossed my mind last night. Are more people concerned about the virus itself or the governments response to it. ...

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 400
Like Tree953Likes

Thread: Prepare!.

  1. #376
    VIP Member Array Sister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Poolside/Biden’sHairyLegs
    Posts
    4,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The thought crossed my mind last night. Are more people concerned about the virus itself or the governments response to it. What do you guys think?
    The gub’ment.

    For the first time in the modern history of the United States, the Department of Defense has been given standby orders to ensure the “continuity of government”, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These extraordinary measures, which include evacuating White House officials to remote quarantined locations, and devolving the nation’s leadership to “second-tier officials”, were originally meant for the aftermath of a nuclear war.
    However, according to Newsweek, “Above-Top Secret” contingency plans are now in place, in case the nation’s Constitutional power successors are incapacitated by the pandemic. Standby orders have been issued for a series of plans under the US Northern Command (NORTHCOM), which was created in response to the 9/11 attacks as a homeland defense military authority.
    These operations are codenamed OCTAGON, FREEJACK and ZODIAC,said Newsweek, and include CONPLAN 3400 (homeland defense if the US itself is the battlefield), CONPLAN 3500 (defending civil authorities in an emergency), and CONPLAN 3600 (defending the National Capital Region from an attack). Newsweek added that the Defense Secretary, Mark T. Esper, has authorized NORTHCOM to “prepare to deploy” in support of these “potential extraordinary missions”. These include “the possibility of some form of martial law”, where military commanders would be given executive powers across the US

    https://thedailycoin.org/2020/03/20/...e-now-in-play/



    Texas Red and demanic like this.

  2. #377
    VIP Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Whatever, buddy. I've said my piece and I'm done with this.
    Me too!!. Enjoy Life!.

  3. #378
    VIP Member Array graydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    How many do you think a hospital should keep on hand? Also, whose protocols and staffing are you familiar with that you are basing this number on?

    Yes it is a resource prioritization issue. Is it really shocking that they prioritize items that are used regularly over items that are likely to expire before they are used?
    I'm sure you realize there isn't a single magic number for every facility and location. FEMA and state agencies have all known the risk of a pandemic and chose to under resource the need because few actually "believed" the risk. An assessment of a major regional disaster such as Cascadia Rising could have identified the basic supply needs using nothing more than a tabletop exercise and an operational risk matrix. Any emergency management agency that doesn't think these things through at even a basic level, identifying potential worst case needs, has failed at doing their jobs. Just call it like I see it.

    How am I familiar with this? It's based on AF education at incident management, command experience as an MSG/CC preparing for disasters and DSCA events, managing incidents (nothing this major of course), being on a regional Red Cross board of directors, Red Cross shelter management experience, and probably a few things I've forgotten.

    I'm not surprised that individual hospitals prioritize regularly used items over worst case supply needs, as hospitals are a business. But there are ways to mitigate those costs, such as letting single purchase bulk contracts, by using approved shelf life extension programs for supplies properly stored that haven't degraded (random case lot sampling, etc), and even applying for term grants to expand the strategic national stockpile.

    Is it easy? No, nowhere near as easy as maintaining my own family's supplies, but people who are paid to do this dropped the ball, big time. Resorting to an army of home seamstresses to make masks in an emergency should be an embarrassment, despite showing the get it done spirit of our citizens.
    Texas Red, The Old Anglo and OD* like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #379
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I'm sure you realize there isn't a single magic number for every facility and location. FEMA and state agencies have all known the risk of a pandemic and chose to under resource the need because few actually "believed" the risk. An assessment of a major regional disaster such as Cascadia Rising could have identified the basic supply needs using nothing more than a tabletop exercise and an operational risk matrix. Any emergency management agency that doesn't think these things through at even a basic level, identifying potential worst case needs, has failed at doing their jobs. Just call it like I see it.

    How am I familiar with this? It's based on AF education at incident management, command experience as an MSG/CC preparing for disasters and DSCA events, managing incidents (nothing this major of course), being on a regional Red Cross board of directors, Red Cross shelter management experience, and probably a few things I've forgotten.

    I'm not surprised that individual hospitals prioritize regularly used items over worst case supply needs, as hospitals are a business. But there are ways to mitigate those costs, such as letting single purchase bulk contracts, by using approved shelf life extension programs for supplies properly stored that haven't degraded (random case lot sampling, etc), and even applying for term grants to expand the strategic national stockpile.

    Is it easy? No, nowhere near as easy as maintaining my own family's supplies, but people who are paid to do this dropped the ball, big time. Resorting to an army of home seamstresses to make masks in an emergency should be an embarrassment, despite showing the get it done spirit of our citizens.
    FEMA was stocked up. That stock is being depleted quickly at the rate we are going. I dont know what every state has done so I wont comment on that. I dont think you're realizing how fast hospitals are going through stuff.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

    This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

  6. #380
    VIP Member Array graydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    FEMA was stocked up. That stock is being depleted quickly at the rate we are going. I dont know what every state has done so I wont comment on that. I dont think you're realizing how fast hospitals are going through stuff.
    They're disposable items so probably hundreds per admitted patient, plus transitory patient treatment, plus general wear in common areas by every employee. I'm sure it adds up fast, but my assumptions aren't important... contingency planners should have estimated this and not assumed some other agency would magically resupply them during a nationwide crisis or pandemic when others would also want the same supplies.

    My main point here is media and politician's claims that consumers caused the problem is bogus. The rate of use far exceeds the quantity that was in stock in the public market even before considering panic buying (also easily foreseen). This should not have been a surprise.
    The Old Anglo and OD* like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

  7. #381
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    They're disposable items so probably hundreds per admitted patient, plus transitory patient treatment, plus general wear in common areas by every employee. I'm sure it adds up fast, but my assumptions aren't important... contingency planners should have estimated this and not assumed some other agency would magically resupply them during a nationwide crisis or pandemic when others would also want the same supplies.

    My main point here is media and politician's claims that consumers caused the problem is bogus. The rate of use far exceeds the quantity that was in stock in the public market even before considering panic buying (also easily foreseen). This should not have been a surprise.
    Its not the initial stock thats the problem. Its replenishment.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

    This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

  8. #382
    Senior Member Array Sportymonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rocky Mount NC
    Posts
    517
    Been away for a while. Spotted this thread and quite a change from the start on 2/25 to now. WOW!
    If you think things are bad for you, Remember there is a Mr. Pelosi!
    Duct Tape may not fix stupid but it sure can muffle the sound! :D
    It isn’t the first person who fires who wins gun fights, but is usually the first person to land effective hits.

  9. #383
    Senior Member Array Sportymonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rocky Mount NC
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The thought crossed my mind last night. Are more people concerned about the virus itself or the governments response to it. What do you guys think?
    The govt and the actions they take definitely.
    Havok and demanic like this.
    If you think things are bad for you, Remember there is a Mr. Pelosi!
    Duct Tape may not fix stupid but it sure can muffle the sound! :D
    It isn’t the first person who fires who wins gun fights, but is usually the first person to land effective hits.

  10. #384
    VIP Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Orlando,Fl
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Its not the initial stock thats the problem. Its replenishment.

    NO,It`s the Fact that FEMA AND CDC were Never ready for anything like this and Heads Need to Roll over this as the High Dollar Virologists have been Slacking off!. Just my $02.00.

  11. #385
    VIP Member
    Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,136
    Ain't this the truth. This cartoon says it all. https://townhall.com/political-carto...2692?hpnl=true

    And we have a health directive from the Nebraska state health department because they determined that there is a significant community spread here in the Nebraska panhandle.
    Havok and The Old Anglo like this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

  12. #386
    VIP Member
    Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,136
    Maybe some good news on preparations? https://www.foxbusiness.com/healthca...hand-sanitizer
    graydude likes this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

  13. #387
    VIP Member
    Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,136
    Here's how Floridians do safe distancing: https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-c...ce-coronavirus
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

  14. #388
    VIP Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    7,665
    Sounds good to me!
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

    This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

  15. #389
    VIP Member Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Florida Twilight Zone
    Posts
    33,344
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    Here's how Floridians do safe distancing: https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-c...ce-coronavirus
    Six feet isn't much of an alligator. Definitely not a large one. Leave it to the media to get it wrong.
    Havok likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  16. #390
    VIP Member
    Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,136
    OD* likes this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

    Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •