Prepare for more property crimes and break-ins - Page 2

Prepare for more property crimes and break-ins

This is a discussion on Prepare for more property crimes and break-ins within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by GpTom Two small packages came from Amazon and the delivery person left them at the next door neighbor's house and then emailed ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Prepare for more property crimes and break-ins

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    Two small packages came from Amazon and the delivery person left them at the next door neighbor's house and then emailed my wife a picture of our packages on the neighbors porch. House number and all. I put on some gloves and went next door and knocked and stood back about six feet. The neighbor said that they opened them thinking they were their orders at first. I told him to set them on the porch. He did and after he shut his door I picked them up with my gloved hands and took them home to my containment area.
    The thing is that after the neighbor opened the packages and saw that they weren't his items he didn't bring them over to our house. And the packaging was gone.
    I think this is how it starts. By keeping things that don't belong to you. I don't know these people very well because they haven't lived next door very long but I know now that I can't trust him and I am glad that I learned that now and not some time when the chips are down.
    Folks with character and good upbringing won’t do that.

My neighbor 3 doors down got a package of ours. She brought it by unopened that evening.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Folks with character and good upbringing won’t do that.

My neighbor 3 doors down got a package of ours. She brought it by unopened that evening.
    Yep. Happens fairly often here. Last week, an Amazon box landed on my doorstep that was for the neighbor on my right side. I didn't bother telling him, just walked it over and it on his porch. On Weds, my neighbor on the left side brought over five pieces of mail addressed to my wife that ended up in his mailbox.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Yep. Happens fairly often here. Last week, an Amazon box landed on my doorstep that was for the neighbor on my right side. I didn't bother telling him, just walked it over and it on his porch. On Weds, my neighbor on the left side brought over five pieces of mail addressed to my wife that ended up in his mailbox.
    I used to have a big problem with my mail being delivered to some guy blocks away, the only thing in common being the street number (000). I noticed something was wrong when I stopped getting bank statements. I called the bank, was informed the statements had been returned "Not at this address," which the bank interpreted as I had moved. The guy should have written :"Delivered to wrong address," as I did, in red, on some of his mail I got.

Shortly after, the mail person saw me in the yard and attempted to inform me of the error of my ways by writing on the envelopes. Big mistake! After pointing out the error of his ways, I informed him I would personally hand each incorrectly delivered piece of mail to his postmaster from now on.

I seldom get any mis-delivered mail anymore. If I do, it's the next door neighbor's.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array GpTom's Avatar
    I would rather feed the hungry than to have to shoot them for stealing. If it comes down to it I hope that starving people will have enough sense to go door to door asking for food. I think that is how it worked in our Grandparent's day. The problem is that the people who steal aren't usually the people who are hungry.

VIP Member
    Property crimes are not attributed to parents stealing to put food on the table.
    Just thugs and low life's who do not want to work for a living and would rather take what you have worked hard for.
    I never understood the mentality of folks who say, "did you have to shoot him over a TV, or a car?"
    Everything I have I have worked by butt off for. You come to take it from me, you got a big problem.

I have read"hot" break-ins (where residents are home when miscreants break in) are quite common in the U.K., where the self-defense rights of people are not as clear as most places in the U.S. I can't speak to whether or not this is true. What I do know is, such behavior carries enormous risks in my state. Years ago, Detroit got a new Chief of Police who encouraged residents who could legally do so to arm themselves, noting his department could not promise to arrive in time to prevent home invasions. Shortly thereafter, some residents began complaining about the number of young men who were being shot while doing break ins. Chief Craig responded by saying something like, "If you don't want to be shot, stop breaking into houses." I found this expression of common sense both astonishing and refreshing-especially coming from a major city Chief of Police.

Yooper 54

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Especially true where the many blood-sucking creatures are in charge and letting petty criminals, like child molesters and murderers out of prison to protect them from the foul-tasting beer virus. If things go on, and these many blood-sucking creatures keep stirring things up, expect roving mobs of looters and rioters. Likely suspects? LA, Fergeson/St Louis, Chicago, NYC. And can't forget that peace-loving bunch at Berkley. But really, all it takes is one or two entitled freaks to start this just about anywhere. Once it hits about four or five, the size can easily explode into hundreds. I feel sorry for those who live under anti-Constitutional mag limits. Better stock up on mags.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GpTom View Post
    I would rather feed the hungry than to have to shoot them for stealing. If it comes down to it I hope that starving people will have enough sense to go door to door asking for food. I think that is how it worked in our Grandparent's day. The problem is that the people who steal aren't usually the people who are hungry.
    Our church is still running the pantry, but curb-side service. I am concerned someone will break in to steal some. Most of the people are rather pleasant, but there are at least 2 notable exceptions. Next time they arrive, we are calling 911 to have them trespassed. They are quite verbally violent. I saw one of those altercations and was afraid it was going to get physical. Another blew up because we wouldn't give them ravioli because we didn't have any. He demanded cash so he could go buy some. Nope. Not how it works. We give out what we have. You don't like it, come back next week. We might have it. We might not. We are NOT a grocery store. We are a food pantry and we get what's available from our supplier. They're lucky now that we are even open.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Our church is still running the pantry, but curb-side service. I am concerned someone will break in to steal some. Most of the people are rather pleasant, but there are at least 2 notable exceptions. Next time they arrive, we are calling 911 to have them trespassed. They are quite verbally violent. I saw one of those altercations and was afraid it was going to get physical. Another blew up because we wouldn't give them ravioli because we didn't have any. He demanded cash so he could go buy some. Nope. Not how it works. We give out what we have. You don't like it, come back next week. We might have it. We might not. We are NOT a grocery store. We are a food pantry and we get what's available from our supplier. They're lucky now that we are even open.
    Some people have no gratitude
    Texas Red likes this.

I am glad my son is home from college for the next quarter. They shut down his university for online courses only, so he decided to come home and save money on room and board. And since both myself and the wife will be at work every day, he will be home, locked and loaded to hold down the fort.

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Residential burglary has traditionally been classified as a non-violent property crime in the US. That is usually the case because residential burglars generally try to avoid breaking into homes with occupants present (the vast majority of residential burglaries occur during business hours on weekdays, which is when the majority of people are out of the house and working for a living). The most commonly targeted loot is relatively small items that are easily carried or concealed and can be sold for cash (money, postage stamps, prescription medications, consumer electronics, firearms, coin collections, etc), and the purpose of the theft is usually to obtain money to purchase illegal drugs (depending on which federal agency's statistics you choose to accept, approx. 85% to 95% of all such crimes are directly related to substance abuse).

Unfortunately, when the "non-violent" burglar encounters people in a targeted home things do not always remain non-violent. People can be assaulted, beaten, sexually assaulted, killed, or held as prisoners while their ATM cards are maxed out.

Now that most folks are confined to their homes I expect increases in confrontations between intruders and lawful occupants, along with a corresponding increase in both violent assaults and self-defense incidents.

Here in Colorado we have the controversial so-called "make my day law". Portrayed by some as a legal license to kill non-violent trespassers and thieves, all the law actually says is that a person within his home who confronts an intruder has a reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm sufficient to justify the use of deadly force in self-defense. Interestingly, that law was passed primarily in response to pressures from insurance companies who were frequently targeted in lawsuits alleging excessive force, wrongful death, etc (essentially trying to cash in on the homeowner's liability coverage when the burglary/theft idea didn't work out so well).

I have always urged citizens to become fully informed about the laws pertaining to self-defense, defense of property, defense of others, and defense of their homes. Nothing is ever clear cut; every law contains plenty of wiggle room for lawyers to argue in advocacy for one side or the other. For instance, our Colorado law is relatively clear on incidents occurring inside the home, but an attached garage or patio may be treated differently, while outbuildings and premises grounds (even if fenced or enclosed) are definitely not part of the residence.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    It's often very challenging, but it helps if we can refrain from focusing on the "under-achievers" and remember the joy of helping those who truly need it. I've served a number of places (as a pastor of a "mainline" Protestant church) where we actually listed a local "St. Vinnies" as a line item in our budget because they were better equipped to screen out those who abused the system. The Salvation Army often has this capability as well. Every community, large and small, has people who thrive on unhealthy entitlement. I'm of the opinion it is often NOT helpful to enable users and abusers by giving to them. Thankfully, they are not the majority.

Yooper54
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

VIP Member
    My understanding is that these burglaries at aimed at businesses and not homes. It wouldn't be wise to break into a home that's likely to be occupied 99% of the time and possibly the occupants are armed.
    Yooper54, Osprey, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    My understanding is that these burglaries at aimed at businesses and not homes. It wouldn't be wise to break into a home that's likely to be occupied 99% of the time and possibly the occupants are armed.
    Especially in TX where we can shoot you coming and going as long, it is night time :)

We no keepe gold, silver, or cash...only lead. In great abundance and carefully directed. Come and get it!

On a lighter note. I would think politicians, drug cartels, and criminals would want to tread lightly. These kinds of times get lots of folks practicing knot tying.
    Texas Red, Chaplain Scott and ctr like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links