New interview with BJ Baldwin

This is a discussion on New interview with BJ Baldwin within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He was the guy who was confronted in the parking lot of a burger joint in Vegas last month. He described what happened. Some good ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: New interview with BJ Baldwin

VIP Member

He was the guy who was confronted in the parking lot of a burger joint in Vegas last month.
    He described what happened. Some good shooting. Training is the key.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas...all-of-my-hits
    airslot and OldChap like this.

Glad he came out on the winning end, but he should not have put himself and his wife in danger over a dumb burger at one AM. Like tap dancing in a minefield . . . bad idea, even if it's your "right."
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

^^^
    This

Don't do stupid things or got to stupid places or hang around with stupid people.

Things like going to a burger joint at 1am. Almost in Waffle House territory.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    I was concentrating more on the story of his shooting.
    Nine in the chest and one to the central nervous system in about 4 seconds. All hits no misses.
    OD*, RETSUPT99, SatCong and 4 others like this.

Personally, a couple of statements from the interview caused me some concerns.

"I wish I wasn't at the wrong place at the wrong time, but I'm glad it was me instead of a less-skilled defensive pistol practitioner."
    "God may have put this man in front of me for a reason."
    My view: (1) Nothing good happens after midnight. Go home. I certainly would not go out for a fast food burger.
    (2) I'm not God and taking a life is not God's work. If I have to defend myself, I defend myself, but I don't ascribe to a higher calling involving God. I'm not James Comey.
    (3) Don't be cocky. You took man's life in self-defense. You had to defend you and your girlfriend. But don't brag about your skills relative to another person that conceal carries a firearm.

Maybe I'm being picky, but given the hypersensitivity to firearms in the pandemic, let's not feed the anti's narrative.
    CHINA LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!

I wonder why his girlfriend didn't engage?

OldChap, CDW4ME, Bad Bob and 1 others like this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    Personally, a couple of statements from the interview caused me some concerns.

My view: (1) Nothing good happens after midnight. Go home. I certainly would not go out for a fast food burger.
    (2) I'm not God and taking a life is not God's work. If I have to defend myself, I defend myself, but I don't ascribe to a higher calling involving God. I'm not James Comey.
    (3) Don't be cocky. You took man's life in self-defense. You had to defend you and your girlfriend. But don't brag about your skills relative to another person that conceal carries a firearm.

Maybe I'm being picky, but given the hypersensitivity to firearms in the pandemic, let's not feed the anti's narrative.
    I think what he was trying to say was this guy was out looking to shoot someone. I guess he thought a person with less skills or no gun would have gotten themselves killed.
    So maybe God put him in front of him to neutralize the evil.
    Sure some places are not smart to go into late at night, I do not know this neighborhood. Mixed feelings, neighborhood get bad and unsafe because we allow the criminals to scare us away and they have free range. Like those Muslim no man's lands on European countries. We allow them to get that way.
    Last I think if I put 10 shots on target in the heat of a gunfight with zero misses, I would brag a bit.
    Pete63 and neil456 like this.

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    @OneGunTX those statements don't bother me. They are similar thoughts I've had in other situations in life where I made poor choices, and things worked out fine. I don't know one person alive who doesn't have at least a few moments in life when they look back and wonder, what was I thinking when I made that choice?

I have to respect his being honest about not wanting to see someone else in his place, and not surviving the encounter. To me that shows his humility and compassion towards others. His putting 10 rounds into the attacker was instinctive, and on target. I didn't think he was bragging about that at all.
    Pete63 and mkh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I was concentrating more on the story of his shooting.
    Nine in the chest and one to the central nervous system in about 4 seconds. All hits no misses.
    Clearly he needs a better man stopper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I think what he was trying to say was this guy was out looking to shoot someone. I guess he thought a person with less skills or no gun would have gotten themselves killed.
    So maybe God put him in front of him to neutralize the evil.
    Sure some places are not smart to go into late at night, I do not know this neighborhood. Mixed feelings, neighborhood get bad and unsafe because we allow the criminals to scare us away and they have free range. Like those Muslim no man's lands on European countries. We allow them to get that way.
    Last I think if I put 10 shots on target in the heat of a gunfight with zero misses, I would brag a bit.

I don't know what Mr. Baldwin was actually thinking as I don't personally know him. My opinion is derived only from his actual statements and taking the statements at face value. I don't read minds. In my opinion, a person that takes a human life should not associate their actions with God's plans, don't brag about being a good gunslinger, and don't knock others that carry. Taking a human life should not be treated lightly. It was necessary. It was lawful. That's all that needs to be said. He's playing into the Anti's narrative. Don't make them right.

Taking another human life is nothing to brag about, not matter how well you place your shots.
    Bad Bob and mkh like this.
    CHINA LIED AND PEOPLE DIED!

I can say this with some degree of certainty. He took the life of another human. At some point in time the reality of that act will invade his consciousness. Only a small percentage of people sit back and never think about what happened and wish it could have gone another way. An even smaller number brag about it and talk about how good they are.

There is a small percentage who find great joy in killing and are generally psychopaths. I am just thankful that I'm not the one this guy may call upon for help one dark night. I lost one police officer who sounded a great deal like this guy before that night of the soul descended, despite doing my level best to stop it.

One thing I am very sure about. God doesn't sit around counting the seconds until someone who we think needs killing is actually obliged. The cost He paid in making a way out for even the most evil among us was far, far too high. And that is about as far as I'll go on the issue of God's part in this.

BTW I should clarify. Having to take a human life in war is one thing, murdering a human, or in a non-wartime situation, is quite another. War is different, even though many people have just as difficult a time handling death.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I can say this with some degree of certainty. He took the life of another human. At some point in time the reality of that act will invade his consciousness. Only a small percentage of people sit back and never think about what happened and wish it could have gone another way. An even smaller number brag about it and talk about how good they are.

There is a small percentage who find great joy in killing and are generally psychopaths. I am just thankful that I'm not the one this guy may call upon for help one dark night. I lost one police officer who sounded a great deal like this guy before that night of the soul descended, despite doing my level best to stop it.

One thing I am very sure about. God doesn't sit around counting the seconds until someone who we think needs killing is actually obliged. The cost He paid in making a way out for even the most evil among us was far, far too high. And that is about as far as I'll go on the issue of God's part in this.

BTW I should clarify. Having to take a human life in war is one thing, murdering a human, or in a non-wartime situation, is quite another. War is different, even though many people have just as difficult a time handling death.
    I have never had to take a life. I understand the war thing. I understand the murder thing.
    Those who have had to take a life in self defense or defense of a loved one how hard is it to deal with?
    What makes it harder or easier? The person you are or the situation and the type of person you had to kill.
    I pray I never have to find out but I would be interested in the opinion of those who had to .
    My father has killed men in times of war and as a police officer. I am not sure how it affected him. He was a very happy go lucky kind of guy but he never talked about it much.
    OldChap, Pete63, TSKnight and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    So we're not allowed to get a burger if we are out late and hungry???? Thinking back to my truck-driving days, sometimes the job or circumstances put us in places some of you all seem too afraid or too smart or whatever to go.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    In my opinion, a person that takes a human life should not associate their actions with God's plans

He's playing into the Anti's narrative. Don't make them right.
    I would most likely say the same thing about it being God's plan should I need to shoot someone. Like Mr. Baldwin, I am not a person looking for trouble. Trouble came to him, and God had given him the wisdom to be prepared to handle that type of trouble. It was meant to be what it was for whatever reason. God put a capable person in the path of a monster, and good people will not be harmed by that monster.

As for the second part about the antis. Well, everything he did makes them angry. They hate Christianity and all it stands for. Nothing on this Earth can ever make them right. Their misguided beliefs are based on fear, and are emotionally driven. Had they been there, they would be dead. What they think matters not.
    Pete63 and mkh like this.

Senior Moderator
    Great story with a good ending...like the vid. I wonder if that's his own gun collection behind him.
    Pete63 likes this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links