6 Million Feral Swine In the US - Page 4

6 Million Feral Swine In the US

This is a discussion on 6 Million Feral Swine In the US within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard that a lot of the gamey taste in wild hog meat comes from an adrenaline dump, or something similar that happens when ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: 6 Million Feral Swine In the US

VIP Member
    I have heard that a lot of the gamey taste in wild hog meat comes from an adrenaline dump, or something similar that happens when a hog is scared & starts running. Dunno if it's true, but it's consistent (so far) with my experience. I have never had a hog take more than two steps after I've shot it, and I've always gotten good meat from every hog I've killed, including the 396-pound boar above. Every one, with the exception of the above, was a head shot, DRT.

The hog above was taken at very close range, with the Leverevolution .30-30 entering just behind the shield on the right side, traversing the lung and neck diagonally before shattering the spine right at the base of the skull. He was DRT, too! Never saw me.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

None in my immediate vicinity (yet!), but a buddy runs hog hunts for disabled vets (think the program is called "Hogs for Heroes") not too far away.
    gatorbait51, Gabill and Instymp like this.

I have a place to stay in Floral City Fla. near Inverness. Might want to plug a pig if there is a outfit nearby.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I'm your Huckleberry. Say when.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I have heard that a lot of the gamey taste in wild hog meat comes from an adrenaline dump, or something similar that happens when a hog is scared & starts running. Dunno if it's true, but it's consistent (so far) with my experience. I have never had a hog take more than two steps after I've shot it, and I've always gotten good meat from every hog I've killed, including the 396-pound boar above. Every one, with the exception of the above, was a head shot, DRT.

The hog above was taken at very close range, with the Leverevolution .30-30 entering just behind the shield on the right side, traversing the lung and neck diagonally before shattering the spine right at the base of the skull. He was DRT, too! Never saw me.
    Was he castrated already? I was always told it was the testosterone that did it
    gatorbait51 and Gabill like this.
    “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”
    -John Quincy Adams

This "information super-highway" called the internet is clogged with speculation and the truth is slow to get through.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Ahhhh hogs, yeah we got way way to many in South Texas. Growing up when we were in the brush the thing to look out for was rattlers and Javalinas because those dang things will chase you now that list includes hogs and killer bees.
    gatorbait51 and Pijo73 like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Ahhhh hogs, yeah we got way way to many in South Texas. Growing up when we were in the brush the thing to look out for was rattlers and Javalinas because those dang things will chase you now that list includes hogs and killer bees.
    Texas and I think, southwest Louisiana have open season on these things . They're smart and destructive and dangerous as hell .
    Rabbit212 and Pijo73 like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    They're smart and destructive and dangerous as hell.
    Humm?
    That makes we wonder how many ex-mothers-in-law there are in the U.S.?

Open Season anyone?
    oak1971, gatorbait51 and Instymp like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

By far the tastiest wild game I've ever eaten, next to moose, was a small 75-100# hog. Tender and succulent!
    Pijo73 and Gabill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Az has a population in the northwest [ section 13b ] of the state. Now being found in the Havasu area. No restrictions by state law, considered a nuisance. Only restriction might be there's no hunting at night, but over dogs, bait, or stalk, no problem.
    Competing with the javelina? I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard7mm08 View Post
    If for whatever reason I am forced to live in the south for an extended period of time, I would think I'd be huntin' piggies quite often. As far as I'm concerned they don't taste any different than raised pork, but the males do stink when you cook 'em. Read somewhere it has something to do with chemicals in the fat of some, not all, males of breeding age.

If we see one in WI we can shoot it any time of the year and after looking at the very short section in the DNR's website about them, there is no time of day regulations. Our population is next to nonexistent and we want to keep it that way. Went down to TN this past October and harvested a 300lb sow, which came back home as a good supply of breakfast sausage. They are a problem, but they are a tasty problem.
    If you shoot a breeding age boar, soak the meat overnight in milk before wrapping and freezing. It makes a huge difference in the resulting taste. Rinse off the milk before wrapping.
    Pijo73 and wizard7mm08 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
    Competing with the javelina? I'm surprised.
    Ya, I had to look the numbers up as I wasn't aware we had any wild pigs in Az, just the javelina's. Apparently there's a small herd in the northern part of the state. It's all Nevada's fault lol
    Pijo73 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsoftexas View Post
    20 years ago, they were saying, aw they will never make past Oklahoma as it is just too cold.

I said, in ten years they will be turning them into back bacon in Canada.

No fence can stop them from entering new territory.
    They live in northern England....where it's colder than Oklahoma in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Fourteen states currently do not have wild pigs: AK, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, MN, MT, ND, RI, SD, VT, WA, and WY.
    This is incorrect for WA as of fall 2016, both sides of the mountains...
    Pijo73 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckingham View Post
    By far the tastiest wild game I've ever eaten, next to moose, was a small 75-100# hog. Tender and succulent!
    Agree about wild boar. Never tried any moose but do know that elk is also very good. It's a lot like very lean roast beef.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array yz9890's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckingham View Post
    Any pig I take over 100lbs is usually just turned into sausage. When I want a good eater I look for a little 75 pounder as well.
    Pijo73 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links