One tree rat down with air - Page 2

One tree rat down with air

This is a discussion on One tree rat down with air within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker Good Shootin' PAc! I took a fat tree-rat with my Cold Steel Professional (.625 cal. One piece 5") Blowgun. Broadhead ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: One tree rat down with air

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Good Shootin' PAc!

I took a fat tree-rat with my Cold Steel Professional (.625 cal. One piece 5") Blowgun. Broadhead dart, 16 yards. But I DID have to calculate substantial..."Kentucky Windage". Does that qualify as "air"?
    Now that's cool.
    Let's see your blowgun and dart.

MJK
    Nicely done! Anyone who's spent serious time going after those pests knows how challenging it can be.

Ever hear of PETA?

People Eating Tasty Animals...I'm a charter member.
    PAcanis likes this.
    ďI come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you [mess] with me, Iíll kill you all."
    ó James ďMad DogĒ Mattis

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    My break barrel air rifles are just too much work to load pellets one at a time.
    I saw an article that Gamo (sp) is coming out with a break barrel that has a 10 round mag, I think it was shown at this years Shot Show. Not sure when it will be available or the price though.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Ever hear of PETA? People Eating Tasty Animals...I'm a charter member.
    I'm a co-founder of DAMM "Drunks against Mad Mothers", (*but it's not too impressive, we have no lobbyists & only have...three members).
    hotShot and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I find about the only time a squirrel sits still is when there is no backstop but rather is silhouetted on the horizon with bad results for a missed shot.
    PAcanis likes this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Good Shootin' PAc!

I took a fat tree-rat with my Cold Steel Professional (.625 cal. One piece 5") Blowgun. Broadhead dart, 16 yards. But I DID have to calculate substantial..."Kentucky Windage". Does that qualify as "air"?
    That's called putting all that hot air to good use! >;~}

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKnight View Post
    Sorry, just couldn't resist.
    No worries TSK! If I'm gonna' dish it out (and I do/am gonna'), then I've certainly gotta' be (more than) willin' to...TAKE it. It's the 1st Rule of Smartassitude! .
    TSKnight likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My dog catches tree rats on a regular basis.
    I hate to think how many she would get if she could figure out how to shoot my air rifle.
    PAcanis likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    SIG, my Talon can run off CO2 tanks. At least I've read that it can. I haven't tried it.
    I seem to remember you or someone here discussing air refills through a scuba shop.

The latest type of tank is carbon fiber but still needs 3,000-4500 PSI to fill it. Not only that but the costs are just not worth it to me at around $200-700 for a large tank.
    I have only read about using scuba shops for refills. There are none within 60 miles of me.

From what I understand, some scuba shops will fill tanks and others won't without a dive card. There is no law or regulation that says they can't but I guess some scuba guys are kind of purists or maybe anti-gun. I don't know why they would refuse business but apparently several do.

For a 1000-1100 FPS rifle I think you might need a minimum CO2 tank size of 88 grams at about $10 ea.

Just seems rather pricy for an air rifle.

Hmm? Talon SS? Specs say: Maximum Fill Pressure: 3000 psi / 200 bar (Only use compressed air or dry nitrogen) No mention of co2.

Big bucks for a squirrel slayer that any $200.00 .22 could dispose of. Nice toy though.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Scuba shops can fill scuba tanks. I'm not sure about CF tanks.
    From what I understand a scuba tank maxes at 3000 PSI. CF tanks are 4500 PSI. That means you get more fills in your high power (3000 PSI) PCP.
    the initial cost of a CF tank is high, I think I paid $560 for a 74 cubic foot tank, valve and filler hose, but I got 150-180 full power shots from a $10 fill. I reload, so I don't view the price of the tank's cost and getting it filled any differently than I do the startup cost of reloading and having to buy components.
    And like reloading you can spend even more money. You can buy a small compressor and fill your own tank or your guns directly for $1300. Or they also make what's called a "shoebox", which will boost a large capacity regular compressor for 600 bucks. My compressor doesn't quite supply the volume this shoebox needs to run. I've been playing with the idea of purchasing the $1300 compressor, but I need to see more reviews. And quite frankly, hanging out in the paintball shop while they fill my tank is like hanging out in the gun shop with the exception that the folks aren't quite as cliquey as your typical gun shop is.

I think some dive shops might refrain from filling scuba tanks because once you have a scuba tank with air in it, you can go diving. I imagine there are folks who try to slide by without the proper certification and the dive shops are self policing this.

From: AirForce Talon SS CO2, Adapter, 12-oz. CO2 Tank. Air rifles

"AirForce Talon SS CO2, Adapter, 12-oz. CO2 Tank

The benefits of shooting a Talon SS on CO2:
    Over 1,000 shots per CO2 tank
    Ideal for shooting indoors
    Easy to switch to air
    No handpump or scuba tank required
    Quieter operation"

Looks like you do not get the power with CO2, but 700 FPS will still take out a small pest. One of the downsides though is CO2 doesn't work consistently below 40F (from what I've read).

Yes, it can get pricey. And this is considered entry point, too.
    But I don't own, carry and shoot Hi Points either
    ghost tracker and msgt/ret like this.

When I spend an afternoon huffing a .625 caliber blowgun (that's BIG BORE), the easiest way to refill is an...iron lung. (and they're pricey as well).
    msgt/ret likes this.

Hahaha, I understand the feeling.

As a kid, our farm property became overrun with squirrels and red jimmies one summer. Then one day Dad came home with a little single shot .22 Marlin and explained that one of my summer "chores" was to thin them out. Very satisfying when you knock one of them buggers out of a tree.
    PAcanis and ghost tracker like this.

After my triple bypass surgery I was home recouping and I was quite bored. We had quite a large tree rat population that was decimating my wife's bird feeders. Let first explain that I have a personal hatred for tree rats ever since we owned horses and I got into war feed room ruling numerous bags of feed along with a few bales of hay that they proceeded to nest in. Along with the memories of the sweaty days spent in others attics when as a nuisance trapper I was tasked with removing them from other People's homes. Welllll in my my boredom combined with my limited physical abilities duty just having open heart surgery I dusted off my trusty Crossman pellet gun. In a matter of a week I all but illuminated my tree rat problem. My wife came home from work one day only to find me toting a hefty bag with the remains of 12 of those varmints in it out of the trash. Now before I get chastised for disposing of them this way let me explain. over the years I have enjoyed many a pot of fine Brunswick stew, But I have always had a rule not to consume something that had been feasting on garbage and as I knew for a fact that several of these bushytailed rats have been doing just that. I felt my only option was to dispose of them the way that I did. Unfortunately as the population dwindled my boredom once again returned
    msgt/ret and PAcanis like this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

These PCP's make it too easy. Two more have since met their demise. And the big fox squirrel has started coming around again. He lives out back and takes his food and goes. He doesn't seem to show up when the red squirrels are active. Someone once told me that red squirrels will drive the other squirrels away even though they are much smaller.

I've also added some onboard ammo storage to my Air Force Talon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One tree rat down with air-ammo-cuff.jpg  

TSKnight and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    ...someone told me that red squirrels will drive the other squirrels away...
    Sounds like rodent bigotry to me, "Honey, there goes the neighborhood. We're movin' to...the suburbs."
    PAcanis and BuckeyeMike like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links