Help Needed! Coyote / Coydog / Coywolf Caliber Selection - Page 3

Help Needed! Coyote / Coydog / Coywolf Caliber Selection

This is a discussion on Help Needed! Coyote / Coydog / Coywolf Caliber Selection within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Richard; It is amazing how effective the .22 Magnum Rim Fire is at putting coyotes and feral dogs of all sizes down on the ground ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Help Needed! Coyote / Coydog / Coywolf Caliber Selection

Senior Moderator
    Richard;

It is amazing how effective the .22 Magnum Rim Fire is at putting coyotes and feral dogs of all sizes down on the ground for keeps. i did it when I was a kid and my dad kept at it for years after I left home with great success. I recall one large coyote that was running dead away from me, about 100 yards out. A hail Mary shot delivered beside the root of the tail exited the front of the coyote's chest.

Best I can remember the ammunition used was Winchester Western 45 grain hollow points.

While the cartridge isn't optimal, we thought nothing of taking coyotes or feral dogs with the .22 Long Rifle. Mostly cheap 40 grain solids were used. Some shots were long for a plain ol' .22. It was 90 yards to the stock tank from the back porch of our house, 120 yards to the tank's dam on the other side. I shot several coyotes on that tank dam by stealthily poking my Winchester Model 190 out the back door. If they were well hit they went down or didn't travel far and could be found.

I had the range on making hits at that tank. Many cartons of .22 ammunition were expended on targets around, or floating in that tank from the back porch of my parent's house which sat on a hill above it. It was no trick to put all that target practice to work on the critters.

The reason so many critters were taken out at that stock tank was because my dad liked to keep white ducks on it. Was a constant battle I gleefully embraced.

When we were young teens all my friends and I took coyotes with the .22 Long Rifle and considered it appropriate. Why it was an embarrassment of riches to use the .22 Hornet I got back in early marriage on the coyotes.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; January 13th, 2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Tablet typing- Too many periods too few spaces
    airslot, Old Man, OD* and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    A .243 Winchester works great with 55 grain to 100 grain bullets. You have to zero the scope with the bullet weight you shoot. There are a lot of cartridges like 6mm, 6.5mm, and .25-06 that are very fast and flat shooting.
    You hit the nail on the head...55 grain for predators and 100 grain for deer...I love the versatility...That is why i chose
    the 243 for myself.

Help Needed! Coyote / Coydog / Coywolf Caliber Selection-kimg0185.jpg

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think just about any centerfire rifle will handle the doggies well. A guy I know uses his .30-06 with light bullets on varmints. Enough folks here in AZ use .22 mag and .17 HMR on coyotes, but I think those are too light.

I like the advice given so far - .243 and .22-250 seem like ideal prescriptions for a "lead headache."
    Lot of guys out here are using 223's as long as the distance is <200 yrds with great results. If I were to get into that sport, a dedicated CZ bolt action 223 scoped would likely be in the cards.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

.17 HMR anybody?...I have one handed down to me it was my late brother in laws...I have shot it but never hunted with it.
    It is a savage model 93 with wood stock...Has a bull barrel on it.

Sorry to the OP...Was not trying to hijack the thread...But maybe a option?....I know nothing about the caliber?

Senior Moderator
    Brian, that is a marvelous point about 22 LR! I've shot hundreds of bricks at 50-100 yards all day long at prairie dogs and ground squirrels out the the high pastures of Colorado. Stockmen loved rid of those pests! I hadn't really thought of using a good HP here. I do have a Ruger 10/22 (who doesn't?) I love (who doesn't?), with a 4X scope zeroed at 75 yards. That might be my ticket. I don't know if 200-300 yards is for me until I've been shooting again for awhile. I'd probably better start close. So if I stay under 100 yards initially, I can see if I like it, and proceed from there.

Having said that, ya'll have given me a bunch of food for thought! I like the ideas about .223, 22-250, 243 etc. I'll need to check and see what the arsenal carries before I go too crazy worrying or thinking about it. The ammo price also squeaks in as a consideration too, as ya'll have noted.

I know nothing about 17 HMR other than a really close friend out west loved it for prairie dogs! She said it was a screaming fun round.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    .17 HMR anybody?...I have one handed down to me it was my late brother in laws...I have shot it but never hunted with it.

Sorry to the OP...Was not trying to hijack the thread...But maybe a option?....I know nothing about the caliber?
    Not a hijack at all, Cornhusker95! Keep the ideas coming, folks! I appreciate it!

For other reasons, I tried to rationalize buying an M1 Carbine from @ThirdShift but that didn't pan out. Ya'll need to check those out. They are really nice, but probably overkill.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 13th, 2019 at 07:42 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    223/5.56 seems to be the way to go down here in the Rio Grande Valley area, typical distances being 75 to 150 yards.
    AzQkr, Rock and Glock and airslot like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Sponsor

not the best choice. My 17hmr would be off by 8-10" at 120 yrds on prairie dogs with just a 10mph crosswind. The wind raises hell with that cartridge
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Like a .22 they will drop if you hit them well. But the 17 HMR is made for squirrel sized animals. I get away with shooting a few coyotes with one while I'm out shooting ground squirrels. But the typical coyote here is under 35 lbs. The 17 HMR is more suited to Fox or Bobcat sized animals. Coyotes in the far west are not that big so I get away with it. But the farther east you go the bigger they get. DR

If cost of ammunition is a factor, 5.56 would be the one to go with. There is one varmint round that most people don't shoot anymore is 222. I have one that works well to fit this role. Price of ammo isn't too bad and relatively no recoil. I have a few family members that are sensitive to recoil and they love to shoot it.

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I started out shooting PDs with a 25-06 and a fine PD exterminator it is. When I head out on a PD hunting expedition, I always take a varmint weight 25-06 with me in addition to the 22-250 and will sometimes throw in a .223 or two for good measure. I like the 25 when the days are a bit windy and when the shots are beyond 300 yds. Nailing a PD at 500+ yds is always a smile winner.

I've thought about getting a barrel with an 8 twist for the 22-250 and shoot some heavier bullets on the breezy days, try that out as an alternative to the 25-06 but haven't done that yet...
    Rock and Glock and OldVet like this.

If your friend doesn't like a black rifle, then tell him he can shoot whatever he wants. I'd roll with my own AR for two reasons 1) I have it and 2) It would work.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    not the best choice. My 17hmr would be off by 8-10" at 120 yrds on prairie dogs with just a 10mph crosswind. The wind raises hell with that cartridge
    I prefer my 243great on deer and can be loaded down for coyotes....I don't know much about 17HMR other than i have one handed down to me.
    I have shot it and that is about it.
    Rock and Glock and AzQkr like this.

There is just something about a good ol wood stock on a hunting rifle...I can see synthetic stocks if you are covering miles on foot
    and you want something lighter.
    It seems AR's are all the rage for hunting today and i have no problem with that...I guess i am old school...The first thing i did on my
    243 was replace the synthetic stock with a Boyd's wood stock.

I've been giving some thought to a 22 Creedmoor with a 24" 8 twist built on an AR platform. It'd probably make a sweet coyote and PD rifle.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

There is just something about a good ol wood stock on a hunting rifle...I can see synthetic stocks if you are covering miles on foot
    and you want something lighter.
    It seems AR's are all the rage for hunting today and i have no problem with that...I guess i am old school...The first thing i did on my
    243 was replace the synthetic stock with a Boyd's wood stock.
    I like the synthetic stocks on my rifles because:

1. They're pretty ugly to start with, a scratch here and there isn't even noticed.
    2. They're impervious to weather, wood changes with the humidity.
    3. Many are lighter than wood and lighter is usually a good thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links