Budget 22lr

Budget 22lr

This is a discussion on Budget 22lr within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm buying a budget 22lr. Already have a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 so I'm talking real budget here. Around the $100 range. Looking at ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By PEF

Thread: Budget 22lr

Budget 22lr

I'm buying a budget 22lr. Already have a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 so I'm talking real budget here. Around the $100 range. Looking at 3 options.

Savage 64f
    Rossi RS22
    Mossberg 702

The Rossi and the Mossberg are apparently almost identical. Manufactured in Brazil and re-branded.

What are you opinions, experiences if any with these 3?

Any of the 3 would do a good job. You didn't say what you were going to use them for?
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

The Savage is the better of that group, IMO! I had a Savage Mod 93F which is essentially the same as the Mod 64F except that it was in .17 hmr. Without a doubt one of the most accurate rimfire rifles I have ever owned! (I have owned a bunch over the years!)
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

At that price point just buy the one you like the best and shoot it.
    Retired USAF E9
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    I've had a number of Mossberg 702's come through Hunter Safety class. Every one has had feed issues.I
    For an experienced shooter they are an inconvenience. For a new shooter, they can be a deal breaker.

Just my opinion, but there is inexpensive and there is cheap. I like Mossberg, but the 702 is just cheap.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Moderator
    With 2 autoloading .22 rifles on hand already, what is the intended role of the next one? What are you wanting a new gun to do that the others don't or can't?
    hotShot likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    Any of the 3 would do a good job. You didn't say what you were going to use them for?
    Just some plinking. Maybe a squirrel or rabbit. We've developed quite a coyote problem in the area so it maybe used for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    With 2 autoloading .22 rifles on hand already, what is the intended role of the next one? What are you wanting a new gun to do that the others don't or can't?
    Honestly not crazy about the tube feeding on the Marlin so I hardly even take it out. The 10/22 is MY gun. I want one of these others for my son so we can go out plinking/hunting together. Thing is I'm not sure he'll be into it. So rather than spend $200-250 on another 10/22 I'd rather spend $100 and if he loses interest I'm not out that much. I'll just throw it in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PepNYC View Post
    Just some plinking. Maybe a squirrel or rabbit. We've developed quite a coyote problem in the area so it maybe used for that as well.

Honestly not crazy about the tube feeding on the Marlin so I hardly even take it out. The 10/22 is MY gun. I want one of these others for my son so we can go out plinking/hunting together. Thing is I'm not sure he'll be into it. So rather than spend $200-250 on another 10/22 I'd rather spend $100 and if he loses interest I'm not out that much. I'll just throw it in the safe.
    A .22 lr IS not what you want for a coyote problem! I have used both .17 hmr and .22 mag on coyotes and they are less than ideal IMO! If you know coyotes are on the agenda .223 or 12 ga w/ high base BB or larger shot for close-in running shots are better bets! Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PepNYC View Post

See if your son likes your 10/22 or Marlin. If he does, gift the one he likes the best to him. If it's the Marlin he prefers, no problem. If it's your 10/22, get another 10/22 some time down the road.

Last year I gifted my daughter my favorite lever action - a simple Henry H001 - because she liked that gun the best. It was "Dad's gun," and now it's hers. Maybe many years from now she'll have fond memories when she sees "Dad's gun."

I think I got more out of gifting it than she did out of receiving it.
    TSKnight and gasmitty like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

VIP Member
    I've bought several Marlin 60s at $100 or less...perfectly functional...at pawn shops. Then, once he's shot a bit more, he'll decide what type he wants, if he doesn't like the Marlin...and you've got a good, cheap rifle left over.

I bought the 702 Plinkster for my granddaughter and didn't like it at all...the M60's a much better rifle. She was young enough the lightweight aspect made it work for her, though.

Sponsored Links