.17 hmr

.17 hmr

This is a discussion on .17 hmr within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for a .17 hmr rifle to do some plinking and critter control. Can anyone help me out?...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: .17 hmr

.17 hmr

Looking for a .17 hmr rifle to do some plinking and critter control. Can anyone help me out?
    OldChap and 5lima30ret like this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Are you looking to buy? I have one I'd sell.

Edited: left out a word
    Last edited by PAcanis; April 8th, 2019 at 12:11 PM.
    OldChap and Gabill like this.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

I bought a Savage Varmit back in the 1990's. It shoots great, but I had to learn that because the bullet weight is so much less than a 22LR, it is much more susceptible to any wind. In no wind conditions it is superb.
    Rockymonster and Gabill like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I bought a Ruger American rifle in .17 HMR and put a forty year old new-in-the-box Simmons 3 x-9X scope on it. It is accurate and fun to shoot.
    Rockymonster and Gabill like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    If you're looking to plink....get a 22 LR. If you are looking for serious critter control (think Prairie Dogs, Rabbits, Squirrels and an occasional Coyote), the .17 HMR is pretty good. If you are focused more on plinking and close distance control, you may like a 22 LR more for your wallet. I have both in a Tikka T1x MTR with a Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire Scope in 3-9x40 and a Harris BRS Bi-Pod on each and I can tell you the .17 HMR is one damn fun round for reaching out past 22 LR range though I try to keep it within 150 yards most of the time.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Savage model 93 bolt action is what I used for long range (75-150 yds) ground hog control when I lived in the mountains of Western NC. It hits ground hogs like a lightning bolt w/ one shot kills. OTOH, I had quite a few crawl back into their holes after being hit with .22 LR. It is marginal IME for coyotes .223 or 12 ga w/ buckshot is much more humane. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Savage has a number of models and are an excellent value. I have one of the ďBĒ model bolt guns that uses a 10 round rotary magazine. I added a 4-12 power scope and itís tack driver. Fun gun for small varmints. There are more expensive rifles out there, but on the lower cost end, Savage is tough to beat. Great trigger for the money.
    5lima30ret, Gabill and craze like this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.Ē - Joe Lewis

ďIím not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a Ďlittleí dirty.....Ē

A GROUCHY German is a Sour Kraut....

Saw a savage bolt, but was cheaper model. Small regular mag. Don't know model number. Have a friend (yes I do have one) That shoots hogs with it. Not looking for that reason, but wanted one for critters around the farm. I have a 22 and doesn't seem to get the job done a little further out.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE

I have about $800 in each of my Tikka T1x MTRs including rifle, scope, mount/rings, and bi-pod. You can definitely go cheaper. For value I agree the Savage is hard to beat. CCI makes a .17 HMR model specific round for the Savage A17 if you decide on a semi-auto. I personally like bolt action. More interaction between me and the rifle.
    Rockymonster, Gabill and gasmitty like this.

IMO, where the .17 hmr shines is well past the 75 yd mark! It has a MUCH flatter trajectory than .22 lr and 125 yds shots on ground hog sized targets are very doable by the average shooter. I am well aware that 125 yd shots with a .22 lr are possible.... but the .22 lr has run out of steam to make humane hits at that range.
    Gabill and Rockymonster like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

CZ 455 RIFLES are a real bargain for for the quality you get. You can also change the barrel from 22lr to 17 hmr to 22wmr in less than 5 minutes complete. You could get an American model 17 hmr rifle and also buy a 22wmr barrel that would offer good flexibility! I bought a few rifles on line from Riflegear in Texas and had good and quick service. Also https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=455
    Gabill and Rockymonster like this.

Iím not a big fan of .17HMR; had one, didnít think it did anything better than .22WMR at 150yds and closer, and if I needed something for longer range, I preferred to step up to a centerfire...

That being said, the H&R Handi-Rifle I had was an accurate little bugger, and for the $125 or so I got it for gently used, not a bad buy.
    Gabill likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Iím not a big fan of .17HMR; had one, didnít think it did anything better than .22WMR at 150yds and closer, and if I needed something for longer range, I preferred to step up to a centerfire...

That being said, the H&R Handi-Rifle I had was an accurate little bugger, and for the $125 or so I got it for gently used, not a bad buy.
    Have tried to buy the handi rifle in 17 and been told they don't make it anymore by 3 gun shops. So far I have not found a used one. That would be my first choice.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE

VIP Member
    My 17hmr is a Henry Golden Boy.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post

Funny you mention the .22WMR...I just ordered a CZ 455 Synthetic Stainless to play around with. That way my son and I can do our part to eradicate prairie dogs together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links