Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight? - Page 2

Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight?

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight? within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I like a 24-inch barrel or even longer, all steel construction including the butt plate, trigger guard, and floor plate assembly, put up in good ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight?

Senior Moderator
    I like a 24-inch barrel or even longer, all steel construction including the butt plate, trigger guard, and floor plate assembly, put up in good ol' American black walnut. Something right around 10 lbs. including scope and one-inch version of the Model 1907 sling fills the bill perfectly.

Like for instance this pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Standard Weight in .30-06.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    My preference is somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs, unloaded.

I find that much lighter than 8lbs and I get too much recoil, much over 10 lbs and it is just too heavy.
    That's pretty much the "sweet spot" I've migrated to. I do have a REM MOD 7 in .260 that tips the scale at just over 7lbs, but the caliber is light recoiling and it makes a very handy package for woods and stand hunting. I've got a very accurate Steyr Mannlicher in 8x68S (think 8mm Rem Mag minus) that goes over 10lbs scoped, which really helps with the recoil. Unfortunately I'm really not relishing the thought of humping it over hill and dale anymore. Last couple Elk hunts I did were off St. Helen's (WA) and the 8x68S stayed home and I took a little .350REM carbine, which killed a 5x4 just as well, and was a pleasure to carry.

My preference nowadays is for composite stocks and stainless/rust proof finishes on hunting rifles.
    G26Raven likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    For mulies, it'd be hard to beat this in 6.5 Creedmoor:

https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This is a ‘pends on question, my first rifle bought for hunting was a Parker Hale 1200 in 30/06. At 8 pounds with scope it was a pleasure totting around the Sierra Nevada Mountains hunting deer. But when it came to laying prone sniping Prairie dogs at 200+ yards my 10 pound custom 220 Swift filled the bill nicely.
    SatCong likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    After humping the pig for 25 plus miles in the service, carrying an 8-10 lb rig in the back bush seems light!
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

I prefer something around 8lbs with scope fully loaded as it seems to offer me the nicest balance between carrying and shooting well. Ideally, 5lbs all up steady as a rock and recoil of a 10lb 223.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I like my 358 norma magnum. With a scope I am guessing it is around 8.5 lbs. I have the ammo downloaded, it doesnt kick too hard and is accurate.

I have used it for deer and bear. A 225 gr soft point going 2750 fps doesnt destroy much meat. I have a 35 whelen which is lighter and could get those numbers out of it, but it kicks enough going 2600 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I like my 358 norma magnum. With a scope I am guessing it is around 8.5 lbs. I have the ammo downloaded, it doesnt kick too hard and is accurate.

I have used it for deer and bear. A 225 gr soft point going 2750 fps doesnt destroy much meat. I have a 35 whelen which is lighter and could get those numbers out of it, but it kicks enough going 2600 fps.
    That's about what my little REM M7 .350Mag gets with a 225, just over 2710 FPS. It weighs in at 7lbs 15.8 oz scoped:

When I first bought it I zero'd the irons with 250 grainers doing 2500, without the scope/mounts the rifle weighs in at 6.5lbs. I thought it would be the cat's meow for a deep timber elk carbine. It was positively one of the most painful zeroing sessions I can remember.
    DownInTheDark and SatCong like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Ok, guess I'm a wuss. The weight I want to carry is as close to zero as practical. It is hot and the areas I hunt most are very dense brush/swampy land. They filmed the Vietnam scenes in Forrest Gump here if that gives you an idea. The shots are close too so my Blackhawk 45 Colt is perfect for hogs and a chest rig keeps it from snagging. I already have to carry my beach chair (I like to hunt hogs in a reclined position so I can doze a bit) so that plus a rifle is too much.

I would consider switching to a S&W 329PD to save some weight if I found a great deal.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Ok, guess I'm a wuss. The weight I want to carry is as close to zero as practical. It is hot and the areas I hunt most are very dense brush/swampy land. They filmed the Vietnam scenes in Forrest Gump here if that gives you an idea. The shots are close too so my Blackhawk 45 Colt is perfect for hogs and a chest rig keeps it from snagging. I already have to carry my beach chair (I like to hunt hogs in a reclined position so I can doze a bit) so that plus a rifle is too much.

I would consider switching to a S&W 329PD to save some weight if I found a great deal.
    Sounds like a malaria risk to me.
    MMinSC likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Sounds like a malaria risk to me.
    Nah. Snakebite would be the only real hazard. It is a beautiful area. I spend a few hours walking during the afternoon and enjoy it how vibrant, green and fresh the landscape is. I kinda am hunting while walking. I keep telling myself if I find where the pigs are holed up and sleeping I can just shoot them all execution style. That never happens. Mostly I am just looking for signs of hogs, seeing where the sounders are moving through, look for good areas for small game season, etc. Mostly I just have one very reliable spot where hogs cross an old logging road that is elevated through a swamp. I set the lounge chair up in some cover, take a little nap and the hogs cross about 30 yards away towards dusk. It is not too hard and an enjoyable day!
    Doghandler likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links