Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight?

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight? within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Title says it all...what weight do you guys prefer? You can break it down by game/use. I prefer spot & stalk to stand hunting, can't ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Hunting Rifle Preferred Weight?

Title says it all...what weight do you guys prefer?

You can break it down by game/use. I prefer spot & stalk to stand hunting, can't stand sitting too long as I'll always convince myself there's a keeper over the next hill.

I've run the gamut from dedicated woods guns that run just under 7lbs scoped to 10+ pound magnum elk rifles. Just put together a 8lb, 5 ounce 300Win Mag that's a joy to carry, kinda sucks off the bench. Put's out 165s at 3130 fps and 3 rds consistently 1MOA. Longer strings it starts to heat up and string. Going to end up using it as my back-up western Mulie rifle. I find I shoot a 8-9lb rifle better, so I've sort of avoided the ultra lightweight rigs.
    HotBrass45 and Pete63 like this.
    homo homini lupus est

The ideal riffle would be 5 lbs & shoot a 150gr bullet @ 2900 fps with little recoil. A fella can dream, can he not ; ) PS that's with the scope of your choice of course
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

7.0-7.5 lbs for me, without scope, mounts and sling. I can carry this all day. But it's about balance too. My old 700 BDL (7-3/8 lbs) is the perfect weight and balance for me. I've got other rifles that are about the same weight but I don't like how they balance near as much as the 700.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Back in the day, I lightened my Rem 700 ADL in 30-06. Didn't weigh it, but it kicked like a angry mule. I "un-lightened" it, glass bedded the stock, etc. Made it heavy again. Still don't know what it weights, but it shoots great and, until I got old and feeble, was a joy to shoot on the bench.

I have no use whatsoever for lightweight rifles, plastic stocks, etc. If a gun is a pound or two too heavy for you to tote around, try losing a pound or two off your backside to lighten the load.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I'm hard pressed to specify an ideal weight. I've given up hunting, but kept two hunting rifles, Winchesters M70-LH 30-06 with a 1.75-6X Leupold scope and a M94 30-30 with a Lyman receiver sight and a white bead front sight. My heavy hitter was a Winchester M70-LH 375 H&H long gone. Before the Winchester bolt rifles Remington 700 30-06 and Win338 Mag. Target rifle Remington 40X-7.62mm Nato my match shooting days are basically over.

When humping these hills eastern Ky, which is Daniel Boone country, I prefer as light as possible. A 6-7 pounder with optic is about right, but I prefer a slick little carbine levergun like my Marlin 44 Mag, which is really light with a compact scope, and is very suitable for the terrain I encounter here.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

My preference is somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs, unloaded.

I find that much lighter than 8lbs and I get too much recoil, much over 10 lbs and it is just too heavy.
    G26Raven and Pete63 like this.

When I was in SE Coastal Georgia, I used my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with a Leupold gold ring 3x9 scope. I never weighed it, but it was lighter than Dad's Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40. I guess it's around 8 lbs, give or take. I still have it (1951 vintage), but I expect to deploy the .450 Bushmaster with a 4-12 x 44 Vortex scope. It's a bit lighter, maybe 7 ish lbs, and a bit easier to shoot than the model 70. For the ranges I'll be shooting, it'll be fine.
    Struckat likes this.

My first hunting rifle was a used Remington 700 in 7mm-08. With a Nightforce scope on it, it weighs in just a bit over 9 pounds. I took my first buck with it, a second buck, and my first elk. All went down with one shot.

I wanted a back-up rifle for my hunts and bought a Kimber 7mm-08 that was very light. Really hated it; way too light for me to shoot consistently. I ended up selling it and buying a Sako in 7mm magnum with a 24 inch barrel. It weighed in right around 10.5 pounds. I could not shoot that consistently either. I realized that what worked for me was something like the Remington, so I bought a Bergara Stalker that weighs in at 10 pounds, scoped. I carried it for 5 miles last fall on an antelope hunt up in Wyoming and took my first antelope at 215 yards.

Currently, I am setting up a Barrett Rec 10 AR10 in .308. I've always wanted to hunt with the AR platform and shoot it well. With a Nightforce 2.5X10X42 with Nightforce rings the rig weighs in at just under 9.75 pounds. If I don't manage to take an elk during archery or muzzleloader season here this fall, I may get the chance to try it out.
    Last edited by G26Raven; July 30th, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten." Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

"Who needs your truth if it stands in our way?"
    General Alexei Yepishev, political commissar of the Soviet Armed Forces

My deer rifles are an 8 lb bolt action with its scope, or a 30-30 Winchester with open sights. Around 6.5 lbs.
    I have a couple of varmint rifles that are over 11 LBS. If I went walking around with them I'd need a team of gun bearers! Even the shooting bench has wheels and a trailer hitch! DR

Never felt the need to weigh my rifles...But i prefer wood stocks and blued surfaces on my hunting
    guns...Can you guess the type of hunting i do most?

Depends on where you hunt. When I was hunting the steep mountains in Western NC, 7 lbs was about my limit. Like Glockman10mm said, a lighweight carbine is the way to go in rugged mountain country of the Appalachians. Hunting the bottom land fields of Northern MS up to 8 lbs or so. Just my .02 worth!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

My last rifle came with a synthetic stock...Put a Boyds on it...I figure if i ever go on a hunt for elk etc where i have to
    walk miles a day...I can swap back and dial it in.

I have a Winchester Model 70, synthetic stock, stainless barrel with the B.O.S.S. on it from Browning's influence in 7mm Rem Mag. With a rubber sling and a Trijicon Accu-Point on top, it weighs in nearly 10 lbs. At that weight, plus the muzzle brake, shooting it is not too much trouble.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    My preference is somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs, unloaded.

I find that much lighter than 8lbs and I get too much recoil, much over 10 lbs and it is just too heavy.
    This. ^^^^
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links