My deer rifle...for any antis who may be reading!

This is a discussion on My deer rifle...for any antis who may be reading! within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now, by all means Iím not saying itís the best choice...I have a Blaser, Browning, and a Mauser in various calibers who are called upon ...

Like Tree59Likes
  • 16 Post By 380ACP
  • 7 Post By G26Raven
  • 6 Post By DownInTheDark
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 3 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By KILTED COWBOY
  • 3 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 3 Post By Gabill
  • 3 Post By MB53
  • 3 Post By Wishoot
  • 3 Post By graydude
  • 2 Post By Cornhusker95
  • 1 Post By dennis40x
  • 3 Post By craze

Thread: My deer rifle...for any antis who may be reading!

Now, by all means Iím not saying itís the best choice...I have a Blaser, Browning, and a Mauser in various calibers who are called upon for longer shots, more precise shots, and larger game. In the dense brush of the southeast, however, none of these things are really necessary, so they really are only pulled out for elk trips out west.

So what hauls in my local deer? A ďlowlyĒ WASR 10/63 7.62x39. Bought when they could be had for $300 and slowly modified over the years to suit my needs.

Why? Well, the 7.62x39 with the proper load (Hornady Black for me) is plenty to take down whitetail under 100 yards. Mine is one of the better built examples, and with the Nikon scope, can consistently pull in 2 inch or less groups at 100 yards...again, the maximum distance Iíll ever see on my hunting lease anyway. And the ammo is cheap. I can practice, practice, and practice some more on the off season without spending more than I would to take the family to McDonalds, especially when using the five round magazine. Which has made this probably the most trusted and versatile firearm in my collection over the years.

Itís got more homemade work and locktite than Iíd care to admit, but it is a true shooter under any circumstance.

Anyway, just thought Iíd share my story. Yup, there sure are better choices (to some) and Iíve got Ďem, but to those antis who say these rifles donít serve a purpose, I kindly ask you to explain away the 30+ deer that have fed my family for the past decade because of this rifle.
    airslot, TSKnight, craze and 13 others like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I plan to hunt for elk this season with my AR10 in a couple of weeks.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I was actually looking at a CZ bolt action chambered in 7.62x39 for deer. I don't think people give the round as much credit as it deserves.

Nice rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    I am not a hunter, and I do not own a rifle, but I do appreciate the hard work that went into making that rifle beautiful and efficient. Commendable work. Good hunting.
    rotorhead1026 and 380ACP like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June Ď66 to February Ď68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

VIP Member
    Clearly that is not a hunting rifle, but an assault sniper rifle that shoots a 1,000 bullets a minute. I am sure that rifle is now going to appear in anti-2A brochures as proof positive how evil black rifles are even if they sport a wood stock.

(Nice rig)
    G26Raven, ETXhiker and 380ACP like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Senior Moderator
    The deer won't know the difference.

That is a nice WASR!
    RETSUPT99 and 380ACP like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Sweet. There is just something about a rifle with some wood on it.
    craze and 380ACP like this.

7.62 x 39 has pretty similar ballistics to the tried and true 30/30. Keep your shots to 30/30 ranges and I see no problem at all. FWIW, a LOT of black bears have been taken over the years with the 30/30 as well!
    craze, Holmes375 and 380ACP like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I guess I will never change. Either use a BAR 270 cal or a Thompson Center single shot. Have killed a lot of Georgia deer with both.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    Use what you have. The deer won't know the difference.
    My son uses a 40 year old compound bow and old aluminum shaft arrows to hunt deer (used to be my archery rig) and it brings them down just as efficiently as a new rig.
    I use an equally old Sako .270 and it's brought home game every year. The 20 round box of ammo I'm still using was purchased 18 years ago... lol ... I still have two hunting trips left on that box of ammo !
    5lima30ret, G26Raven and 380ACP like this.

At 100 yards, my bone-stock SKS works just fine.
    380ACP, 5lima30ret and Nmuskier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Itís got more homemade work and locktite than Iíd care to admit, but it is a true shooter under any circumstance.
    Lol!

Loctite... the duct tape of the gun world.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gabill View Post
    I guess I will never change. Either use a BAR 270 cal or a Thompson Center single shot. Have killed a lot of Georgia deer with both.
    My first choice is a Bow...Then Muzzleloader and every once in awhile a bolt action .243
    humbucker and 380ACP like this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I'm told there are surrounding land owners(AKA known as neighbors) that shoot deer at night with .22 rimfire to reduce crop damage. We allow now only one hunter on the property and that hunter fills out his tag (5) deer allowed then buys another tag. I've never noticed what rifle he uses, but on rear occasions we've heard multiple shots fired but that could be hunters on adjoining property.
    380ACP likes this.

Inside of 100 yards I don't think that a whitetail will know the difference between a .30-06, a 30-30 or a 7.62x39. I've only killed one deer with a 7.62x39. I took this buck 12 or so years ago at about 60 yards with a Yugoslavian sks and a cheap russian made "Brown Bear" 123 grain softpoint load. Dropped him in his tracks.
    380ACP, 5lima30ret and Nmuskier like this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Sponsored Links