Getting deer familiar with your scent?? Use you scent to your advantage.

This is a discussion on Getting deer familiar with your scent?? Use you scent to your advantage. within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just thinking the other day about this and wanted to see if anyone else has and or tried this idea and if it ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By Shootnlead
  • 2 Post By dangerranger
  • 4 Post By patkelly4370
  • 3 Post By M1911A1
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By SFury

Thread: Getting deer familiar with your scent?? Use you scent to your advantage.

I was just thinking the other day about this and wanted to see if anyone else has and or tried this idea and if it would work?
    What Im talking about is getting the deer familiar with your scent rather than trying to mask your scent with fancy non scented soaps, shampoos, deodorants ect. or worrying about the wind direction.
    What I was thinking is taking a work shirt that I wore all day doing construction and on my way home swing by my soon to be hunting location and placing my scented t-shirt up on a branch or ground 20-30 yards or so from my stand or blind ect. and let the deer come buy get a wiff.
    Now im sure the deer at first would be a little weary about the smell but after a few days or week or two of this they would hopefully soon come to realize that this scent is non threatening and continue about their daily business such as visiting their salt lick, feeder ect.
    Now with the deer use to your scent you could still use your fancy unscented soaps, and or deodorant and be mindful of the wind direction and all but really none of that will matter as much because if they were to smell you it would be a normal non threatening scent and they would not run away.
    So if you go the old route you have a 50/50 chance they might catch your scent depending on the wind and if your scent killer works or not, however if you get them use to your scent its 100% due to the fact even if they would smell ya no big deal.
    So has anyone ever tried this? Would this work? Wouldnt take much effort, lots of people have to check on their trail camera weekly so at this time just bring a stinky shirt and leave it there till the following visit.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    It is instinct that you have to overcome...try it...but I don't think it will work. Instinct tells them the smell is danger. You can get them used to seeing you, but I don't think that you can get them used to smelling you...at least, it has never been that way in my experience. And, I will add, you will certainly never get a big buck to hang around if he smells you.
    usmc0811 and G26Raven like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

They would have to associate that smell with something they want. Leave that stinky shirt on a feeder for awhile. They will learn to move toward that smell. Good Luck.
    Where I live we have Black tail, and Mule deer neither are that skidish. Not anything like Whitetail. DR
    M1911A1 and Nmuskier like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    My sisters back fence is the Deschutes National Forest.
    Opening day of hunting season her backyard fills with deer that jump her fence and spend the day all hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    They would have to associate that smell with something they want. Leave that stinky shirt on a feeder for awhile. They will learn to move toward that smell. Good Luck.
    Where I live we have Black tail, and Mule deer neither are that skidish. Not anything like Whitetail. DR
    It will be a cold day in Hades when you get a whitetail deer that is not a town dweller or in a neighborhood to move toward human scent to feed...it ain't gonna happen.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

There's a nice-size (for an island deer) black-tail four-pointer who comes down the hill to our corn feeder every day.
    He lets me get within about six feet of him without bolting. He watches me, though, even while he continues to eat.

Years ago, when our island had fewer people and fewer houses on it, there was a really big eight-pointer who lived on the other side of the hill (where there are houses now).
    He would let me walk among his harem without a problem, and the does didn't seem to get spooked by me either. But he's long gone now.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Young deer aren’t smart, so it might work for tender meat. But big bucks and older does will likely just avoid the area after smelling the shirt, or only visit at night.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I also do not think it will work.
    But heck go ahead and experiment if you have the time.
    Usually I have a very limited amount of time to spend hunting so I stick with tried and proven methods.
    Let us know how it works out

Lead Moderator
    It'll absolutely work.

I regularly see over a dozen a deer a day, right here at my house. They are so regular that my German Shepard won't even chase them. She has a little deer bark, just to let me know that they are there and they really don't even mess with each other.

We see each other so often that they don't even bother moving. I have a deer stand located about 50 yards from my shop. We call it the "7-minute stand". Once I got on it and 7 minutes later I popped a good buck.

Last time through on opening day, it took me 14 minutes to pop a buck first and then a doe.

So yes, it's about what they are used to.

Here's an old trick that I learned as a kid. Tie a used shirt to your deer stand and change it out every couple of days. Tie it low, on the tree or a step of a ladder stand. They'll get used to it. Then you won't have to worry so much about scent.
    dangerranger and scottync like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    There's a nice-size (for an island deer) black-tail four-pointer who comes down the hill to our corn feeder every day.
    He lets me get within about six feet of him without bolting. He watches me, though, even while he continues to eat.

Years ago, when our island had fewer people and fewer houses on it, there was a really big eight-pointer who lived on the other side of the hill (where there are houses now).
    He would let me walk among his harem without a problem, and the does didn't seem to get spooked by me either. But he's long gone now.
    Theres a joke that say's you could hunt Blacktail with a Snickers bar and a hammer! DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Theres a joke that say's you could hunt Blacktail with a Snickers bar and a hammer! DR
    Up here, it's an apple and a hammer.
    And, you know, it really is true...if you're quick enough.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Nine generations of deer with zero hunting pressure - they know my scent, and are only interested in the feed. If I were to shoot one, I'd be looking at the inside of a body bag.

If you can keep up your scent for a prolonged period of time in a place that draws deer in for another reason you can get the local deer not to be spooked by you. At least not your scent. Sight of you changes things. We have deer very accustomed to people, and long as they keep walking and move slowly the deer will not run away.

To do what you want to do, at least 3-4 weeks is needed. More time is better. My Father has been feeding the deer for years, and that coupled with their being accustomed to people, makes them come in. They cannot see, or hear you, as they come in and feed. With a blind or being quiet in a tree stand you can be patient and get deer throughout most of the bow season. The bigger, older, bucks only come out in the day during rut. No exceptions. They didn't get big and old by being stupid. At year four, almost all of the bucks my father has pictures of, go nocturnal until rut hits. The rest became night owls a year earlier.

What's interesting, is that really old bucks, ones well past their prime, will stop being nocturnal too. Not many of them get that old though. We have a large number of predators here as well. The young and the old deer are easy pickings for the bear and the coyotes.
    graydude and dangerranger like this.

Sponsored Links