Lost my hunting lease after 39 years.

This is a discussion on Lost my hunting lease after 39 years. within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; All good things must end, but loosing my hunting / trapping lease since 1980 is like a death in the family. The landowner notified me, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Lost my hunting lease after 39 years.

All good things must end, but loosing my hunting / trapping lease since 1980 is like a death in the family. The landowner notified me, and our other hunters, that this coming hunting season would be our last, and he was giving us a year to remove our gear. He's pushing 90 years old, but could pass for 70, and he's turning his ranch operations over to his kids. The kids are anti-hunting, anti-guns, anti-everything, and the minute they get control of the (two) ranch holdings, they will only see $$$$$$ and sell everything off. In 39 years, you accumulate a LOT of stuff, and having a whole year to move it will be stretching things a bit. We're looking at a 36ft fifth wheel trailer, deer blinds, both tower and large ground type, feeders, eight hog traps and one huge corral trap, grills, smokers, and even a jeep. What's even more heartbreaking for me is at my age, I can't just move to another location - it's the end for me. More depressed than I can ever remember. It was fun while it lasted. I watched his kids grow up - and now I despise them.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Guess the ol' boy did not know how to raise his kids right.
    They will probably sell off the ranch land to a developer and you will see houses and shopping centers on it.
    The fella who owns the land I hunt on raised his right. When he passed they still allow all we did.
    He even let out Scout Troop camp out on the property off season.
    Damn shame.
    msgt/ret, baren, MMinSC and 2 others like this.

Geezer, I envy the opportunities you had there. I would guess there are people who lease property for hunting here in Utah, but I've never heard of it being done down in our part of the state.
    Force yourself to be uncomfortable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

This is the problem with TX- Minimal to no public hunting land.
    Geezer likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

Sorry to hear that. I know it must be very hard.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Enjoying a private hunting area is a privilege that many never get to know.

I lost a private hunting area about 15 years ago when their grandkids began hunting on their own.
    Had the privilege of watching them grow and help teach them respect for the game and land.
    Still hunt coyote there, but reality is that a piece of property will only support so many hunters. I do my best to keep the predators under control in the off season, so they can have ample deer and small game each fall.

Next year the oldest great granddaughter will be 12. I have already been informed that she wants to take Hunter Safety at Grandpa's class next spring. Not sure how they plan that one. She lives 4 hours away.
    montejames, baren and airslot like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Sorry you are finding an end to hunting opportunities. I wish your group the best of luck and memories this season.

My father's greatest gift is going to be our hunting property to his grandsons.
    airslot likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I watched his kids grow up - and now I despise them.
    Geezer,

Hmmm. Not sure "despising them" will be productive. Is there anyone, any organization, that you might introduce them to help them understand wildlife management? Help them understand maintaining healthy wildlife populations? State Dept of Conservation? State Dept of Natural Resources? Univ/county extension office? People who own the land adjacent to theirs?

rx7sig
    airslot and baren like this.

Senior Moderator
    I am so sorry. That sucks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by rx7sig View Post
    Geezer,

Hmmm. Not sure "despising them" will be productive. Is there anyone, any organization, that you might introduce them to help them understand wildlife management? Help them understand maintaining healthy wildlife populations? State Dept of Conservation? State Dept of Natural Resources? Univ/county extension office? People who own the land adjacent to theirs?

rx7sig
    They sound like libs. I doubt using any rational discussion or logical arguments of the facts will have any affect.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

We’re sorry to hear this Geezer. It was a perfect arrangement for you for a long time, and worked out for the owner too. We share a property line with a gorgeous 65+ acre hunting lease. The four or five guys sharing in the deal don’t have quite as much invested as you but they’ve been working this a long time. We’ve met three of them at the right of way when they’re loading or unloading. I’d be sad if they lost their lease, it means a lot to them.

Again, sorry for your loss. I know it’s a blow.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Geezer, I am so sorry for what is being done to you! The fun hunts; the friends along the way; and the memories will make losing your lease a bitter-sweet issue.....Paul
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    They sound like libs. I doubt using any rational discussion or logical arguments of the facts will have any affect.
    I'm a lib. Many of us here are, I think.

ETA: Many of us who CC for self-defense, are, I think.

rx7sig
    Last edited by rx7sig; September 28th, 2019 at 01:36 PM.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear of this. You've gotten to enjoy something many never did.
    I have never hunted. My Father & Grandfather did. Dad took my brother hunting. But I am the youngest of four and Dad was busy working to feed us by the time I could hunt.
    He did give me my first firearm when I was 10. He did teach me to shoot.
    But I've never hunted thus never have taken my 4 children hunting. They all own firearms and are safe handlers/shooters. But hunting withered on the vine here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    All good things must end, but loosing my hunting / trapping lease since 1980 is like a death in the family. The landowner notified me, and our other hunters, that this coming hunting season would be our last, and he was giving us a year to remove our gear. He's pushing 90 years old, but could pass for 70, and he's turning his ranch operations over to his kids. The kids are anti-hunting, anti-guns, anti-everything, and the minute they get control of the (two) ranch holdings, they will only see $$$$$$ and sell everything off. In 39 years, you accumulate a LOT of stuff, and having a whole year to move it will be stretching things a bit. We're looking at a 36ft fifth wheel trailer, deer blinds, both tower and large ground type, feeders, eight hog traps and one huge corral trap, grills, smokers, and even a jeep. What's even more heartbreaking for me is at my age, I can't just move to another location - it's the end for me. More depressed than I can ever remember. It was fun while it lasted. I watched his kids grow up - and now I despise them.
    Sorry about this and if it is any comfort...they might feel the same way about you.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links