T/C 30-30 Winchester

T/C 30-30 Winchester

This is a discussion on T/C 30-30 Winchester within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; This approaching deer season has me pulling these out to shoot just in case I decide to use them. This old gun has been used ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Shootnlead
  • 1 Post By ETXhiker
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead

Thread: T/C 30-30 Winchester

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

T/C 30-30 Winchester

This approaching deer season has me pulling these out to shoot just in case I decide to use them. This old gun has been used hard and put up wet as is evident by the bluing missing all over it. I bought this gun back in the 80's and it was used when I bought it. I will have to say that the 30-30 is one of the most versatile cartridges around. It is old school and has pretty much been pushed to the side in favor of more modern cartridges. This round can be loaded from 1000fps up to 2200fps using bullets ranging in weight from 100grs to 180grs and it shoots cast bullets as well as a handgun straightwall handgun round. It is just a fun cartridge to experiment with and has taught me a ton about loads and bullets and loading specific loads for whatever you want to do with a handgun...in my case. It is not a straightwall pistol cartridge, but the things it teaches carry directly over to straightwall cartridges.

Anyway, if some of y'all are thinking of getting into the other side of handgun use...the 30-30 is not a bad place to start.

T/C 30-30 Winchester-73090456_607115026487908_3221575434525212672_n.jpg
    ETXhiker, msgt/ret and Struckat like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    When I was a kid, I remember fantasizing about having a Contender and a bunch of different caliber barrels to go with it. Very cool firearm.
    Shootnlead likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    When I was a kid, I remember fantasizing about having a Contender and a bunch of different caliber barrels to go with it. Very cool firearm.
    I agree, it is a cool firearm and very practical. Over the years, I have had a lot of different barrels...I have sold a good many of them including the .357 Maximum, 45-70. I presently have 2 44 barrels, 30-30 Winchester, 22 Hornet, 22 LR, .223 Rem, 7MMTCU, 3 7/30 Waters barrels. I don't have frames for all of those barrels...it is nice to have a couple of frames as some barrels you just want to leave the frame attached because you shoot it more often.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Sponsored Links