Taurus .454

Taurus .454

This is a discussion on Taurus .454 within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is another one I pulled out and I might shoot it this afternoon. This is the only Taurus handgun that I have ever owned ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 5 Post By Shootnlead
  • 2 Post By MisterMills357
  • 1 Post By Shootnlead
  • 1 Post By MisterMills357
  • 2 Post By Shootnlead
  • 1 Post By entertainment72
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By Cornhusker95
  • 1 Post By Cornhusker95

Thread: Taurus .454

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

Taurus .454

This is another one I pulled out and I might shoot it this afternoon. This is the only Taurus handgun that I have ever owned that was worth owning. I have owned it for about 15yrs and never had an issue with it. Now, it has never had many .454 rounds through it as I really have no need for that kind of power in my hunting. However, it is a great test bed for folks like me that continually fiddle with loads just to see what they will do. For all intents and purposes, it has been used for my 45colt experimenting...everything for 800fps cowboy loads to full tilt 45colt barn burners.

It is a great hunting revolver for almost anything that walks.

Taurus .454-72451149_1010388776019679_3065174913405943808_n.jpg
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

I like it, but I would have put more than a few boxes of Casull through it by now.
    LimaCharlie and Shootnlead like this.
    Crabby Old Goat, that's me!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    I like it, but I would have put more than a few boxes of Casull through it by now.
    To be honest , it doesn't get shot much anymore, maybe at the first of the season and I haven't hunted with it in a while. I pretty much quit messing with 45colt several years ago, so, it kind of just sits in the safe, neglected.
    MisterMills357 likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    I'd never own one [ anything Taurus ], let alone in a caliber that would likely cause a catastrophic failure at some point. Taurus isn't exactly known for their QC.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    To be honest , it doesn't get shot much anymore, maybe at the first of the season and I haven't hunted with it in a while. I pretty much quit messing with 45colt several years ago, so, it kind of just sits in the safe, neglected.
    That is a good gun to have around, even if it is in your safe most of the time. I like it and I wish that I had one, maybe with a shorter barrel. The biggest magnum that I have owned was a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag., with a 7 1/2 " barrel. Now that I am old, I miss the days when I could shoot it one handed.
    Shootnlead likes this.
    Crabby Old Goat, that's me!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'd never own one, let alone in a caliber that would likely cause a catastrophic failure at some point. Taurus isn't exactly known for their QC.
    I probably would not buy this gun again. Really, the only reason that I have it is that I walked in a gun store about 50 miles up the road one Friday afternoon on the way to the lake and they had in sitting in the case. I just casually asked to look at it...more as a novelty than actual interest. The guy handed to me and as I was looking at it, he said that he would make me a deal on it that I could not pass up...so, I told him to throw it out. He said that $350 out the door would get it...so, I bought it.

I agree on the Taurus is junk idea. However, I will have to say that these guns have a good reputation and this gun is overbuilt to include dual cylinder latches...just a strong revolver. But, as I said, I probably would not buy it again.
    AzQkr and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    That is a good gun to have around, even if it is in your safe most of the time. I like it and I wish that I had one, maybe with a shorter barrel. The biggest magnum that I have owned was a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag., with a 7 1/2 " barrel. Now that I am old, I miss the days when I could shoot it one handed.
    I know what you mean...age does enter the picture.

For $350 it's probably worth taking the gamble on a Taurus in that caliber.

Hey, at least it's not a Kel Tec!
    Shootnlead likes this.

VIP Member
    My nephew lives in Alaska and has a shorter version of that gun. I’ve actually fired a couple cylinders of 454 through it myself. Not a bad firearm despite the Taurus reputation. I carried it when salmon fishing on a visit to Alaska several years ago.
    OD* likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

A friend and I meet at the gun club occasionally for a .454 Casull day. He has an early manufacture 7 1/2" Freedom Arms Model 83 Premier Grade single-action revolver. I have a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawk. We both agree that my gun is much more pleasant to shoot with hot loads.

Taurus .454-super-redhawk.jpg
    ETXhiker and Shootnlead like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I probably would not buy this gun again. Really, the only reason that I have it is that I walked in a gun store about 50 miles up the road one Friday afternoon on the way to the lake and they had in sitting in the case. I just casually asked to look at it...more as a novelty than actual interest. The guy handed to me and as I was looking at it, he said that he would make me a deal on it that I could not pass up...so, I told him to throw it out. He said that $350 out the door would get it...so, I bought it.

I agree on the Taurus is junk idea. However, I will have to say that these guns have a good reputation and this gun is overbuilt to include dual cylinder latches...just a strong revolver. But, as I said, I probably would not buy it again.
    I trust their revolvers way more than their semi autos...I am down to one model 85 and i am not about to push my luck.
    ETXhiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    I trust their revolvers way more than their semi autos...I am down to one model 85 and i am not about to push my luck.
    I have had nothing but problems with their revolvers...with the exception of this one...never owned a semi-auto. I bought other revolvers in the first 5yrs after getting this one...they were all junk. However, I did buy a .357 leveraction Taurus that has been flawless through a LOT of use. At any rate, no more Taurus handguns for me.

And, to be fair....my experience has been the same with Ruger in the last 5yrs as far as having problems...but Ruger pays shipping and fixes their problems unlike 3rd rate Taurus.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; October 10th, 2019 at 05:12 PM.

I have had nothing but problems with their revolvers...with the exception of this one...never owned a semi-auto. I bought other revolvers in the first 5yrs after getting this one...they were all junk. However, I did buy a .357 leveraction Taurus that has been flawless through a LOT of use. At any rate, no more Taurus handguns for me.

and, to be fair....my experience has been the same with Ruger in the last 5yrs as far as having problems...but Ruger pays shipping and fixed their problems unlike 3rd rate Taurus.
    Agree...Best to be happy with a rare good one and quit while your ahead.
    Shootnlead likes this.

Sponsored Links