.300 AAC Blackout deer down - Page 2

.300 AAC Blackout deer down

This is a discussion on .300 AAC Blackout deer down within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about it most of the day...I just might have to get a Blackout barrel for the Contender...it should go well with Whisper loads...almost ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout deer down

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Been thinking about it most of the day...I just might have to get a Blackout barrel for the Contender...it should go well with Whisper loads...almost twins.

Matter of fact, I have already been over to MGM do some window shopping...looks like I would have to get a custom as I didn't really see what I was looking for in their stock pile of barrels.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    That is my next choice. I am going to have to verify that they will expand at Blackout velocities...around 2100fps, I would guess.

We tried the Barnes because of how they have performed in the .243...stunning performers. That shot yesterday was at our max range for the 300...actually, 100yds is what we consider to be the max range on it for optimum performance. Anyway, this cartridge is not a long range round...is less than a 30/30...but is certainly a viable close range deer round from an AR.

I know what to use for the Whisper in the Contender...this is just my new foray in the Blackout in a rifle. I was thinking that the Barnes would hold together in that lighter bullet...and it may most of the time...but it failed on the first use...so, I am going to move on.
    I've taken an antelope and an elk with Accubonds. My antelope was shot at 215 yards with a .308 Accubond, 150 grain bullet, and the exit hole was huge, almost 4 inches across. Really probably too much bullet for that animal, but the rifle was new and I wanted to use it on that hunt.

My elk was shot at 115 yards with a 140 grain Accubond out of my 7mm-08. The animal ran 25 feet and piled up. The bullet did not penetrate out the other side of the elk but stopped under the far shoulder.

Here's a chart from Nosler's website:

Name:  AccuBond+Bullet+Mushrooms.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  9.4 KB
    Shootnlead and airslot like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Your expectation of the bullet is incorrect. That type of bullet, can, and often does fragment when hitting a target solidly. It performed exactly as it should. My Father uses the Winchester round of the same design as that Barnes bullet in the 243 caliber. I've seen the same results, and what you expect to see as far as the exit wound goes.

Between my father and I, we have killed many deer now that dropped immediately with our rifles. I have no clue as to why you would expect large amounts of blood. I use a partitioned round that makes nasty exit wounds. The most impressive being a 2 1/2" exit hole. Almost no blood around the buck itself. We never see much for blood loss.

I've made similar sized holes with my expanding point crossbow bolts that do sometimes leave massive blood trails. I killed a doe two weeks ago that went 50 yards. There was no blood until you could see what appeared to be an explosion where she died. I had cut the aorta in half above the heart. The lack of blood initially was surprising to me. The deer I shot last year went roughly 100 yards and left a blood river to walk along. The way the muscles and tissues contract around the wound impacts the way the animal bleeds.

The 300 Blackout is becoming a more popular hunting caliber in Wisconsin at any rate. It's a shorter range caliber that works great for hunting the non-farmland country where 150 yards tends to be the outer limit of shooting ranges. It has less kick, and less bark, than most traditional hunting rounds. The way bullets can be constructed now for different tasks actually makes it a good hunting option.
    My expectation of the bullet is not wrong...this bullet is not designed to go to pieces. If you doubt that, just go to the Barnes website and read their comments about high percent of intact pass through. Also, experience with the .243 has been very different than the experience with this bullet.

I said nothing in my post about an expectation of piles of blood. I said I wanted a full bullet exit hole with blood in the event that I had to track the deer...no mention of a wash of blood.

You can define your experience as you wish...I define my as a failure of the bullet.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    Been thinking about it most of the day...I just might have to get a Blackout barrel for the Contender...it should go well with Whisper loads...almost twins.
    I would own a Contender today if they had not dropped all their good calibers and kept only a few off-the-shelf calibers. I'd dearly love to have another .30 Herrett. I still have dies and loaded ammo from my other one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

110 gr .30 caliber is light for deer. My favorite midwest round is 150 gr corelokt .300 Savage. I'm going to try a 150 gr Winchester .300 Blackout this year.

I use 100 gr in .243. The post about 110 gr 6.8 SPC will be a similar projectile with less velocity than .243.

Make sure to use a hunting core, not personal defense ammo.
    Psalm 144:1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links