.300 AAC Blackout deer down

This is a discussion on .300 AAC Blackout deer down within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Son broke in the new AR in .300 Blackout this morning...by shooting a deer he was supposed to let walk...oh, well. Bullet was Barnes 110gr ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: .300 AAC Blackout deer down

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar

Son broke in the new AR in .300 Blackout this morning...by shooting a deer he was supposed to let walk...oh, well.

Bullet was Barnes 110gr VOR-TX at 2350fps...range was 120yds...performance was not up to expectations.

150lb deer, high shoulder shot and deer was dead right there...however, there were 3 exit holes meaning the bullet separated and there was no blood...ZERO...blood on the outside of the body at the entry or exit holes. This bullet failed according to my assessment...and that is the assessment that counts. If this deer had run, in the area he was in, it would have been near impossible to find him.

.300 AAC Blackout deer down-73265649_3461206460618355_1994144815792521216_n.jpg
    .300 AAC Blackout deer down-74605510_1776939479116512_4518853538729689088_n.jpg
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Nice buck, the barnes split ? I have some TTSX to be loaded for my 6.8. Hmmm....
    I favor Accubond 100 and 110
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    Nice buck, the barnes split ? I have some TTSX to be loaded for my 6.8. Hmmm....
    I favor Accubond 100 and 110
    Thanks...he should have let this buck walk...but he was anxious to take one with this new rifle so I can cut him some slack on that.

Yep...it appears that way. Three exit wounds...this is our very first foray into Barnes bullets and it is only because of very favorable reports on the integrity of these solid bullets. We have kind of decided (actually, my son wants this) to try it on another deer trying to replicate the same shot and see what happens. As for me, I am pretty unforgiving on bullet failure. Years ago, I say this same crap in Remington Core Lokt bullets...junk in my opinion. This stuff doesn't get it for me...I want 2 bleeding holes EVERY time...not most of the time or some of the time and I don't care if the deer is dead right there...I want 2 bleeding holes. The reason I demand this is because you can never tell when a deer will run...even if he is dead on his feet, some of them will run and sometimes it will be a long distance. I want a blood trail.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Hummm. I'll take a DRT deer any day over tracking down a bloody one. My limited experience with the 300 BO has left me unimpressed. People have taken a round designed for short-distance suppressed use and tried to make a general hunting round out of it. If it didn't work in an AR, it would have gone the way of the Dodo bird long ago.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

sgb
    When the heart stops pumping the blood stops flowing ........... in my experience a DRT shot usually has very little blood.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I guess I'm a little mystified as to why you would take a 300 BO out hunting. It was not designed to be a hunting round for 4-legged critters. Right tool for the job means right tool for the job.

I would think the 6.8 SPC would be far better, or the 30-30, or the 243, well you get the idea. Just because you can hunt with a cartridge doesn't mean you should.

Anyway...I'm also curious as to how you figure a DRT is a fail? The IF's don't count. You can play those games until the cows come home, but it's still a massive waste of time. Just MHO.
    Struckat, Bad Bob and OldVet like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I guess I'm a little mystified as to why you would take a 300 BO out hunting. It was not designed to be a hunting round for 4-legged critters. Right tool for the job means right tool for the job.

I would think the 6.8 SPC would be far better, or the 30-30, or the 243, well you get the idea. Just because you can hunt with a cartridge doesn't mean you should.

Anyway...I'm also curious as to how you figure a DRT is a fail? The IF's don't count. You can play those games until the cows come home, but it's still a massive waste of time. Just MHO.
    This bullet failed
    The cartridge didn't fail, one of the components failed...the bullet failed.

Lookup .300Whisper...it is the round the .300 Blackout is kind of based on and nearly identical to and it was developed for handgun hunting 20yrs prior to the birth of .300 Blackout. We were having success using them in Contenders back then...so, I am not really a stranger to this round...only this bullet.THe Whisper's specialty was subsonic but would perform very nicely at higher velocities.

Plenty of hunting is done with the Blackout.

I did not say DRT is a fail...I said the bullet failed...and it did fail at performing as it should. Hunting bullets are not designed to separate.

I am not placing an unreasonable standard with my expectation. I have seen too many deer lost from all calibers from shooter and bullet failure...I prefer to not hunt with bullets that I have seen fail...that eliminates one of the sources of wounded deer. Now, your mileage may vary and you are free to believe what you like...I will believe what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Hummm. I'll take a DRT deer any day over tracking down a bloody one. My limited experience with the 300 BO has left me unimpressed. People have taken a round designed for short-distance suppressed use and tried to make a general hunting round out of it. If it didn't work in an AR, it would have gone the way of the Dodo bird long ago.
    This bullet failed
    I don't have a problem with dead right there...I have a problem with the bullet separating and having 3 small exit holes. I have had plenty of dead right there shots...but on most there was some blood and one large exit...large exit is what I want. You could not look at this deer and tell he had been shot. The cartridge was not the problem here...the bullet was the problem.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; October 26th, 2019 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    When the heart stops pumping the blood stops flowing ........... in my experience a DRT shot usually has very little blood.
    I have experience with DRT...most of mine have a large exit hole with SOME blood. This had neither of those things...deer looked as though he had a heart attack...not like he had been shot.
    airslot and ShooterGranny like this.

It is evident that I was not clear with the original post.

I am not blaming the .300 Blackout for what I consider to be a failure today. I am blaming the BULLET/PROJECTILE....300 Blackout, the cartridge/caliber did not fail and is perfectly capable of doing what I want done in a hunting round. Now, I know and accept that DRT means everything worked fine to some people, I am just not one of those people because I know everything did not work as it was supposed to. You can get DRT and full bullet (not pieces) pass through, consistently, that is what I expect from the rounds that I hunt with because not all shots are DRT and tracking can be involved. When I say bullet...I am speaking about the actual projectile...not the entire cartridge/caliber. I look at and speak about this from a reloader's stand point...individual components and how they work together and perform. This is a process, and the process works...it is a matter of finding the right combination...we selected this bullet and it did not satisfy me with its performance today...time to try another bullet/projectile.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; October 27th, 2019 at 01:09 AM.
    airslot and ShooterGranny like this.

I think you're misunderstanding me, brother. I'm not criticising. I'm just saying that of all the rounds chambered for hunting, to me, the 300 would not exactly be my first choice. It may be used for that, but it was not designed for that. That was just my musing about the situation.

It could also be that the bullet was designed for defense. I would expect that kind of bullet to fragment. Is it possible one wrong bullet got loaded by the factory? Just a thought.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    I have experience with DRT...most of mine have a large exit hole with SOME blood. This had neither of those things...deer looked as though he had a heart attack...not like he had been shot.
    Any blood after the heart stops is simply seepage. While a large exit wound looks impressive it suggests that a large portion of the bullets energy wasn't expended in the wound channel of the animal. DRT indicates that the bullet did it's job.
    " It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it, but if you have to play ..... play to WIN!!!"
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    It is evident that I was not clear with the original post.

I am not blaming the .300 Blackout for what I consider to be a failure today. I am blaming the BULLET/PROJECTILE....300 Blackout, the cartridge/caliber did not fail and is perfectly capable of doing what I want done in a hunting round. Now, I know and accept that DRT means everything worked fine to some people, I am just not one of those people because I know everything did not work as it was supposed to. You can get DRT and full bullet (not pieces) pass through, consistently, that is what I expect from the rounds that I hunt with because not all shots are DRT and tracking can be involved. When I say bullet...I am speaking about the actual projectile...not the entire cartridge/caliber. I look at and speak about this from a reloader's stand point...individual components and how they work together and perform. This is a process, and the process works...it is a matter of finding the right combination...we selected this bullet and it did not satisfy me with its performance today...time to try another bullet/projectile.
    Your expectation of the bullet is incorrect. That type of bullet, can, and often does fragment when hitting a target solidly. It performed exactly as it should. My Father uses the Winchester round of the same design as that Barnes bullet in the 243 caliber. I've seen the same results, and what you expect to see as far as the exit wound goes.

Between my father and I, we have killed many deer now that dropped immediately with our rifles. I have no clue as to why you would expect large amounts of blood. I use a partitioned round that makes nasty exit wounds. The most impressive being a 2 1/2" exit hole. Almost no blood around the buck itself. We never see much for blood loss.

I've made similar sized holes with my expanding point crossbow bolts that do sometimes leave massive blood trails. I killed a doe two weeks ago that went 50 yards. There was no blood until you could see what appeared to be an explosion where she died. I had cut the aorta in half above the heart. The lack of blood initially was surprising to me. The deer I shot last year went roughly 100 yards and left a blood river to walk along. The way the muscles and tissues contract around the wound impacts the way the animal bleeds.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap
    I think you're misunderstanding me, brother. I'm not criticising. I'm just saying that of all the rounds chambered for hunting, to me, the 300 would not exactly be my first choice. It may be used for that, but it was not designed for that. That was just my musing about the situation.

It could also be that the bullet was designed for defense. I would expect that kind of bullet to fragment. Is it possible one wrong bullet got loaded by the factory? Just a thought.
    The 300 Blackout is becoming a more popular hunting caliber in Wisconsin at any rate. It's a shorter range caliber that works great for hunting the non-farmland country where 150 yards tends to be the outer limit of shooting ranges. It has less kick, and less bark, than most traditional hunting rounds. The way bullets can be constructed now for different tasks actually makes it a good hunting option.
    OldChap likes this.

I'm a Nosler Accubond kind of guy.
    Shootnlead, airslot and Bad Bob like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I'm a Nosler Accubond kind of guy.
    That is my next choice. I am going to have to verify that they will expand at Blackout velocities...around 2100fps, I would guess.

We tried the Barnes because of how they have performed in the .243...stunning performers. That shot yesterday was at our max range for the 300...actually, 100yds is what we consider to be the max range on it for optimum performance. Anyway, this cartridge is not a long range round...is less than a 30/30...but is certainly a viable close range deer round from an AR.

I know what to use for the Whisper in the Contender...this is just my new foray in the Blackout in a rifle. I was thinking that the Barnes would hold together in that lighter bullet...and it may most of the time...but it failed on the first use...so, I am going to move on.
    G26Raven likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links