I wish the 22 rimfire was legal for deer

This is a discussion on I wish the 22 rimfire was legal for deer within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sitting here in the comfort of my living room, watching for deer, I got a little bored and placed me a target about 70 yards ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: I wish the 22 rimfire was legal for deer

Sitting here in the comfort of my living room, watching for deer, I got a little bored and placed me a target about 70 yards out on the upper end of the yard where I have a deer feeder set up.

I was curious as how accurate i could I could place my shots from an open window with my 455 CZ 22 rimfire at that distance without the most solid rest.

Using my sling to steady myself, and resting my elbow on the window sill, I fired 5 shots of Federal Gold Medal Match.
    I wish the 22 rimfire was legal for deer-15ec008a-6dd7-40a7-a889-296b6f8bc93f.jpeg

I was actually surprised I was able to be this accurate with all the wobble at 70 yards. This is easily brain shot accuracy, and I havenít shot the gun since the early summer.
    I wish the 22 rimfire was legal for deer-abdcdacb-4714-47ce-b40e-5b2b0c4568d2.jpeg

The scope is a cheap Simmons 4x fixed power.

I have always said that if I could only have one gun for everything it would be a 22 rifle; and I state that with the qualification that I know what they are capable of.

Of course, I cannot in no way confirm my findings with those experiences, but letís just say I proved it many times over in my younger, more free from constraint years:)
    Bikenut, msgt/ret, Pete63 and 9 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Nothing wrong with a good .22 rifle! I also have a CZ 455 (receiver sight and front ramp-bead, CZ rings and a 3-9X40 for scoped use when needed).

The .22LR has been a favorite of poachers for many years. Relatively quiet, very accurate, and surprisingly effective at modest ranges. There have probably been many thousands of deer taken with .22LR over the years.

Many wildlife management agencies use .22LR in deer control, frequently suppressed rifles using subsonic heavy bullet ammo, and much of this work is done in populated areas without significant problems.

During WW2 the US sent thousands of .22 target rifles to the Soviet Union for use in training recruits. The Russians took those very accurate rifles and used them as urban sniper rifles against Nazi troops!

A few decades ago the Israeli Defense Forces purchased a bunch of suppressed Ruger 10-22 rifles, supposedly for non-lethal use against violent demonstrators. One account I read indicated that some of the Israelis found those rifles capable of pin-point accuracy out to 100 yards or more, and head shots were a preferred method.

I agree with the OP that if limited to one firearm mine would have to be a good .22 rifle! Properly used there is not much that can't be done when necessary.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Great caliber, but bears laugh at them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Great caliber, but bears laugh at them.
    Oh goody! Can we have another bear thread? Please? I'll make popcorn!
    M1911A1, ETXhiker and G-man* like this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I like mine with extra butter please
    G-man* likes this.

.22 mag has been a deer poachers favorite for years. I've used a .22 mag pistol for a couple coup de grace shots on deer with excellent results. A friend of mine who lived in Alaska for years said that the .22 mag was a favorite for Natives who hunted seals.
    G-man* likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I want me another CZ. But if my wife caught me shooting out of a living room window, that pretty CZ would end up wrapped around my neck.

Good shooting Gman.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Nice shootin' there, Chuck.
    Rockymonster and G-man* like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I am not that accurate with my one and only rimfire gun, which is an NAA 22M with a 1 5/8" barrel.
    OD*, Old Man, scottync and 1 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I think 22's are severely under rated. It might take some experimentation to find the ammo a 22 rifle or pistol likes but the quest is well worth it. Fun too. I used to cut cards and light kitchen matches at 50yds with my Anschutz 64MPR using Wolf Match target ammo off sandbags.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    My problem with .22 LR on deer, is that the only humane shot with this caliber is a head shot. The target presented is much smaller than the heart/lung are, and if you mess up a head shot, the deer may die a slow painful death in the next county. I respect the animals too much to take such a chance.
    G-man*, Old Man, OD* and 1 others like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    My problem with .22 LR on deer, is that the only humane shot with this caliber is a head shot. The target presented is much smaller than the heart/lung are, and if you mess up a head shot, the deer may die a slow painful death in the next county. I respect the animals too much to take such a chance.
    I agree. There would be a lot of wounded deer dying a slow death.

OTOH, I have great confidence in my ability and judgement. The brain area of a deer is slightly larger than the kill zone of a squirrel, so, I think the person with the skill to self limit his shot selection to within his or her skill level would be fine.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    I agree. There would be a lot of wounded deer dying a slow death.

OTOH, I have great confidence in my ability and judgement. The brain area of a deer is slightly larger than the kill zone of a squirrel, so, I think the person with the skill to self limit his shot selection to within his or her skill level would be fine.
    Fair enough. I suppose the flip side of this, is the guy who goes for a heart/lung shot at 300 yds, when his skills are only good for 100. You are right, that it is all about good judgement and knowing your capabilities.
    G-man* and M1911A1 like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Our fish and game laws, including minimum caliber requirements for deer hunting, are adopted based upon the most commonly experienced abilities of the majority of hunters, etc. What is minimal for the least experienced may be something else in the hands of the most experienced hunter.

Will the .22LR cartridge kill a deer with proper shot placement at reasonable ranges? Most certainly. Will the .22LR suffice for the great majority of deer hunters under all normal hunting conditions? Of course not.

Lots of deer and other game animals escape with wounds from super-duper extra-powerful magnum ammo fired by less than proficient hunters. Even more may lie down, bleed out, and go to waste because of hunters who don't understand the basic requirements for following up a shot with a diligent tracking and search effort to recover the animal.

I am not advocating in favor of permitting the use of .22LR for deer hunting. All I am saying is that the cartridge is very capable of getting the job done when properly employed (and that includes appropriate range and careful shot placement).
    M1911A1, G-man* and ETXhiker like this.

M1911A1, SAXDM9 and Old Man like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links