Fixed blade vs mechanicals

This is a discussion on Fixed blade vs mechanicals within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting video and discussion on fixed vs. mechanical blades for crossbows. I had planned to hunt this season with my regular compound bow (BowTech Assassin ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By graydude
  • 1 Post By G-man*
  • 1 Post By SFury
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 1 Post By patkelly4370
  • 1 Post By svgheartland

Thread: Fixed blade vs mechanicals

Interesting video and discussion on fixed vs. mechanical blades for crossbows.

I had planned to hunt this season with my regular compound bow (BowTech Assassin at 55 lbs). A shoulder injury stopped that, and I've been using a Barnett Whitetail Huhter II crossbow, which I fortunately had picked up on sale in the spring just to play with.

It seems a QDMA study shows a slightly better harvest rate with mechanicals than with fixed blades. I'm two for two so far using fixed blades, Montec 3 blades, but it got me thinking maybe I'll consider mechanicals for next year.

G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

A plus for mechanicals is that they fly true with your field points because there are no blades to cause planing; particular at the speeds that modern compound bow speeds.
    This is a plus because you donít have to make adjustments and dull your blades to re-zero the bow for them.

I personally donít use (currently) a compound, instead I use a traditional bow, which is not affected by this because of the lower arrow speed.

Having said all of that, I prefer a cut to the tip blade traditional blade style like Zwickeyís 2 blade design because they can be resharpened and used over and over, so I donít mind practicing with them.

If I eventually go to a compound, that is if I can find one that has a long enough axis, and can adjust it down for slower arrow speed, I would still use 4 blade Muzzys or 2 blade Zwickey heads.
    graydude likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

The crossbow I have isn't fast, so planing hasn't been an issue for me. The Montec 3 blades fly right with field points, although drop about 2 inches lower at 40 yards, 3 at 50 yards. My shots are usually around 20 yards, so no problem.

Plus, I don't mind shooting the fixed blades. They're super easy to sharpen on flat stones. Target damage is a bigger problem.

But if mechanicals really do provide more damage and better blood trails, they might be worth it. I'm on the fence, obviously.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I use mechanical broadheads with my crossbow. I started using one last year, and am impressed with their efficiency. I'm 3 for 3 with kills. All of them incredibly nasty and effective. One hit, due to the angle giving me a very tight window, was slightly off the mark and I caught the neck in front of the front shoulder. I broke the bucks neck. So far, no animal has gone beyond 100 yards before dropping dead. Almost as effective as using a rifle.

I use a Ten Point Stealth NXT crossbow that shoots at 410 FPS with 125 grain Rage broadheads.
    graydude likes this.

I use a compound bow, but I have yet to take anything with it. All of the animals I have taken have been with a rifle.

The broadheads I am using are Ramcat Pivoting broadheads, which seem to have a good reputation. They are more like a cross/hybrid between a mechanical and a fixed head.

Fixed blade vs mechanicals-ramcat.jpg
    graydude likes this.
    Some men can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

We are ALL Virginians!

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    My preference is fixed blade, but, that's with my compound bows. I tuned them so that broadhead and field point have the same POA/POI.
    I can see mechanicals being advantageous with a crossbow.
    When I do tune broadheads my target is a bag of mulch. Inexpensive, effective at stopping arrows, less dulling, biodegradable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    graydude likes this.

VIP Member
    Iíve tagged a few white tails using Killzone mechanicals on my crossbow. Theyíve worked flawlessly for me. Iím inclined towards fixed blade and the dependability of them, but as Gman said, mechanical reproduce the flight of field points. Given the track record Iíve experienced so far, Iím not compelled to change.
    graydude likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaluka View Post
    +1
    Welcome to DC!

I've never used a mechanical and have used Muzzy 3 blade fixed with my Anderson compound at 60 lbs pull, I've not lost a deer yet but most of my shots have all been within 20 yards with maybe one or two kills taken at 30 yards. Most ran 30 yards tops before dropping except my first ever bow kill, she ran about 60 yards and bleed to death. The arrow had shot low or forward and severed the artery running down the inside of the front leg. After looking her over realizing what I did I thanked the good Lord for that shot because I was super stoked she got as close as she did (buck fever on a doe LOL)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links