Deer today, gone tomorrow.... - Page 2

Deer today, gone tomorrow....

This is a discussion on Deer today, gone tomorrow.... within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Deer feeders legal in Texas. But you can’t keep them on your property as “pets” You will get a visit from the game wardens...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Deer today, gone tomorrow....

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Deer feeders legal in Texas. But you can’t keep them on your property as “pets”
    You will get a visit from the game wardens

Distinguished Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    I went bear hunting near Ukiah, Oregon years ago on some private land surrounded by National Forest. I met up with the owner who gave me a key to the gate and some nasty sturgeon.

He said the fish was for baiting. I told him that was illegal in this state. His response was how else are you going to find a bear?
    railfancwb likes this.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^ That’s why it’s called “hunting,” not “shooting”

I am not a hunter, btw
    railfancwb likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DownInTheDark View Post
    I went bear hunting near Ukiah, Oregon years ago on some private land surrounded by National Forest. I met up with the owner who gave me a key to the gate and some nasty sturgeon.

He said the fish was for baiting. I told him that was illegal in this state. His response was how else are you going to find a bear?
    I'm guessing you didn't have a pack of bear dogs with you. Did you? There are only two proven effective means to hunt bear. Chase them with dogs, or to bait them in. That's it.

Some laws are passed for good reasons, and sometimes they are passed by idiots. California has a lot of rules based on stupid. With a boatload of issues caused by it. Out of control mountain lion problem, forced rolling blackouts, bad management of forestland causing wildfires to get far worse than they should, and so many other issues. I'm guessing the Oregon law was not passed to keep the bear population healthy. It may have been passed to keep people feeding them around cities, but then it was done improperly if that was the goal.

The no feeding rules for deer in many states are attempts to stop spreading diseases. Most of Wisconsin can no longer bait deer because of the spread of CWD, chronic wasting disease, in the deer herd throughout the state. A stupid move as far as I'm concerned. Not because I don't want CWD eradicated, but because the scientists have no clue as to what causes it, and how it spreads. That, and the deer yard together in the winter, making the use of bait piles a non-issue. I'm applying a bit of common sense here, and am critical of knee-jerk law that was passed.

I'm also not for some of the BS that I've seen other "hunters" do. Baiting should be done in a limited fashion. Wisconsin has had restrictions on bait pile sizes for decades. A good thing, when you have witnessed people taking ATVs into the middle of the larger tracts of public land with hundreds, if not over a thousand, LBs of corn at times. That isn't good for the deer, and alters normal movement patterns screwing everything up for the gun deer season. Needless to say, my hunting group has reported several illegal baiters over the years. Huge bait piles also make deer go nocturnal too, which then encourages poaching.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Deer feeders legal in Texas. But you can’t keep them on your property as “pets”
    You will get a visit from the game wardens
    Agree.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RondaKaley View Post
    Agree.
    Do you have a lot of deer in Punjab, Pakistan?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Feeding and baiting are two different things. Baiting is generally illegal. Feeding isn't. I don't know of a farm supply store that doesn't have salt licks for game.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Feeding and baiting are two different things. Baiting is generally illegal. Feeding isn't. I don't know of a farm supply store that doesn't have salt licks for game.
    I'll stick by my earlier post. Feeding is illegal in many states. Baiting is also illegal in many states.
    graydude likes this.
    So many weapons, so little time.

Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.

We are ALL Virginians!

Feeding deer is probably also illegal in Washington, but we put out one ear of corn a day for them because we like to see them.
    We interact with them as little as possible, watching from a distance, but the deer on this little island are pretty habituated to people anyway.

A neighbor eventually harvests some of the ones we feed, but not because we have habituated them to people. That habituation would happen anyway, whether or not we feed them. If there's an old apple tree near a house here (and there are many), the deer come and eat the apples, even if the homeowner is standing nearby.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    Feeding deer is probably also illegal in Washington, but we put out one ear of corn a day for them because we like to see them.
    We interact with them as little as possible, watching from a distance, but the deer on this little island are pretty habituated to people anyway.

A neighbor eventually harvests some of the ones we feed, but not because we have habituated them to people. That habituation would happen anyway, whether or not we feed them. If there's an old apple tree near a house here (and there are many), the deer come and eat the apples, even if the homeowner is standing nearby.
    As long as you don't exceed 10 gallons of corn you're apparently ok.

From page 92 of the WA hunting regs:

""Bait" is any substance that could serve as a
    lure, food, or attraction for deer or elk.
    Except as otherwise provided in this section,
    it is unlawful to hunt for deer and elk using
    any type of bait placed, exposed, deposited,
    distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for
    the purpose of attracting deer or elk with
    the intent to hunt them, if the volume of bait
    accessible to wildlife exceeds 10 gallons."
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    As long as you don't exceed 10 gallons of corn you're apparently ok...
    I'm not at all sure that I could even carry 10 gallons of corn, any longer.

Once again, we've got a nice little buck, developing on our cob-corn.
    msgt/ret and graydude like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links