Fresh Pork

Fresh Pork

This is a discussion on Fresh Pork within the Hunting Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friday night, two of my security cameras caught a wild sow & her three piglets passing by the house and into the back yard. Well, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Fresh Pork

VIP Member

Fresh Pork

Friday night, two of my security cameras caught a wild sow & her three piglets passing by the house and into the back yard.

Well, I was out of town for the weekend, and this afternoon when I got home, I found my back yard had been thoroughly tilled up. I don't mean there were spots where the pigs had been digging, I mean the whole yard looked like it had been tilled! I have a camera that covers most of the back yard, but I had the motion detection sensitivity turned down due to nuisance trips by birds & insects flying around the camera, so, I did not get any actual footage of the carnage.

This evening I took my little Marlin .22 Mag out back with the night vision scope, and made sure the scope was sighted in well. I also cranked up the sensitivity on the back yard camera's motion detection, so I will hopefully know if they come back tonight! I know, a lot of folks will sneer at a .22 Mag for wild hogs, but if they come back, I'll likely be shooting from about 30 yards or less and I can assure you, a shot just below the ear will drop them like a sack of potatoes.

So, I might just have some young wild pork ribs for the slow cooker before long!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    Good luck! Looking forward to pics of ribs in the crockpot!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Thanks, @gasmitty !

I, too, am looking forward to ribs in the crockpot!

In the meantime, lest anyone think I was exaggerating about what those little porkers did to my back yard:

Fresh Pork-20200223_165318.jpg

Fresh Pork-20200223_165332.jpg

Fresh Pork-20200223_165532.jpg

Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You guys got it way worse than I did. Me and neighbors got raided a few times. Couple months back he collected his urine and spread It out in his yard and hasnít been attacked so far after doing so; I have been raided one more time but they have not been back recently.

So, whenís dinner?
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    There's only one way to get to heaven. John 14:6

Iíve never tried it but I have been told suckling pig is quite tasty.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1970405
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Looks like it's freshly tilled for planting a garden.
    And you know the grubs must be gone now

Happy hunting.
    If you are going to ask for help, be prepared to receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Thanks, @gasmitty !

I, too, am looking forward to ribs in the crockpot!

In the meantime, lest anyone think I was exaggerating about what those little porkers did to my back yard:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_165318.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	820.3 KB 
ID:	315122

Name:	20200223_165332.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	796.5 KB 
ID:	315124

Name:	20200223_165532.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	820.0 KB 
ID:	315126

That is terrible....Aim small...Miss small.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    .................................. I know, a lot of folks will sneer at a .22 Mag for wild hogs, but if they come back, I'll likely be shooting from about 30 yards or less and I can assure you, a shot just below the ear will drop them like a sack of potatoes. .....................
    Back when my father was young most farmers around my grandfather's farm let their hogs run loose. There were no stock/fence laws back then in Arkansas and there were no .22mags. The firearm of choice for harvesting pork was a .22LR rifle. Works just as good as a .22mag when properly placed.
    airslot, Instymp and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Joe

Administrator
    Man! They messed your yard up a good one!
    Kilowatt3 and airslot like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't know whether to call you lucky or unlucky. It's a shame what they did to your yard. But, you get to hunt them. Here in Kansas, it's landowner pest removal only. No sport hunting. Illegal to hunt, darn it.if you get one or three, make wlsutlre you enjoy them for those of us that can't.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Distinguished Member
    Feral hogs are destructive to pastures, crops, yards, and forests. To me their sport value is minimum compared to the damage they cause. Here's hoping you get every one of them!
    bmcgilvray, Kilowatt3 and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member Array SFury's Avatar
    Any luck in getting the destructive critters?
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Any luck in getting the destructive critters?
    No, but thanks for asking!

I've been prowling around looking for them in the evenings for the last week, but they've been pretty good at avoiding me! Seems they're most active in the wee hours (like 2-4 a.m.) and that's a very good way to avoid me!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Yep Jim. Feral hogs are more of a pain than I realized before they moved in on us at our old family place on the lake about a year ago.

A pork snack was collected the last weekend of duck season. We were out there just yesterday and they've excavated a total of probably 40 acres down in the mesquite woods along the lake, plus incursions on the interior roads and right in the yard of the old lake cabin! They rooted up our path from the cabin to the cove where the duck blind is located just since we were there a little over a month ago. Looks more like the Somme!

Pigs are yummy, but not worth the destruction. This is the mesquite near the cabin. Ground torn up for hundreds of yards around.

I've been expecting their arrival for two decades without seeing a single pig or even a sign. Then all of the sudden ... it was "Katy bar the door!"

Used to say some hogs introduced to the deer, turkey, ducks, small game and varmints would be welcome.

I take it back! I take it back!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďFreedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.Ē

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links