Military Coup in Turkey

Military Coup in Turkey

This is a discussion on Military Coup in Turkey within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just announced. DOS and WH caught unaware. DOS and Agency personnel ordered to shelter in place. Erdogan whereabouts unknown. Martial Law declared by military. Incirlik ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Military Coup in Turkey

Senior Moderator

Military Coup in Turkey

Just announced. DOS and WH caught unaware.

DOS and Agency personnel ordered to shelter in place.

Erdogan whereabouts unknown.

Martial Law declared by military.

Incirlik AFB has Nukes.

Obama blames it on the NRA. (Not really, just testing)
    msgt/ret, redmc, PEF and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Martial Law declared by military that what going to happen in Cleveland next week

VIP Member
    Reported shots fired at civilians, and reports of at least one explosion. Crazy.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I hope that this does not turn into another Benghazi...but, I seriously doubt that it will.

While we will assume a surprised stance, in reality, the U.S. likely orchestrated, and funded, this coup. Erdogan has been leading Turkey down an Islamic path for a while now and there have been rumblings for months that a solution had to be found soon. In the long run, this will be a good thing for the West. Latest reports are that Erdogan and family are in Tehran.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootnlead View Post
    I hope that this does not turn into another Benghazi...but, I seriously doubt that it will.
    Well we certainly have the right people in charge if it does.
    Rock and Glock and StevePVB like this.

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MainframeCoder View Post
    While we will assume a surprised stance, in reality, the U.S. likely orchestrated, and funded, this coup. Erdogan has been leading Turkey down an Islamic path for a while now and there have been rumblings for months that a solution had to be found soon. In the long run, this will be a good thing for the West. Latest reports are that Erdogan and family are in Tehran.
    I concur with this...as long as all of the players carryout the plan and don't wonder off into something different.

With the timing of this...pretty sure the US has it's hands in it.
    MainframeCoder likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Meh.

Turkey is an odd place. About every ten years, the military ousts the civilian government and shortly thereafter gives over control to a new civilian government. This time, they went 19 years, so this was overdue.

Kind of like a reset button for the government. Odd way to run a nation, but it works for them.
    msgt/ret, Hopyard and Phaedrus like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Learning to shoot again : Starting Over

Rock and Glock likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

It's the wee hours in Turkey and I don't think anyone is going to know who is truly in control until morning. Erdogan is reportedly in Tehran and the military has occupied the presidential palace. As with a lot of coups, it will likely now be decided by which faction the world recognizes in the morning. The U.S., Europe, Russia, Iraq (especially the Northern Kurds), and most of the Middle East, all benefit by seeing Erdogan gone. Turkey was moving quickly in an Islamist fashion and was becoming more and more of an oddball as a supposed NATO member.

I hope the military has succeeded in eliminating him from Turkey and that a pro West government can be installed ASAP.
    Rock and Glock and StevePVB like this.

It sure take some big B_lls to lay down in front of a tank

Quote Originally Posted by MainframeCoder View Post
    I thought was the other way around...The population is leaning more and more towards an Islamic government, but Erdogan is trying to preserve his secular government. I understood that he was making some concessions as necessary to compromise and avoid a full scale defeat by the Islamists.
    Someone smarter than me needs to chime in on this though... I could be wrong
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Just announced. DOS and WH caught unaware.

DOS and Agency personnel ordered to shelter in place.

Erdogan whereabouts unknown.

Martial Law declared by military.

Incirlik AFB has Nukes.

Obama blames it on the NRA. (Not really, just testing)
    That right there pretty much describes the vast majority of the last 7 1/2 years...
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Georgia Carry
    NRA
    SAF

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    I thought was the other way around...The population is leaning more and more towards an Islamic government, but Erdogan is trying to preserve his secular government. I understood that he was making some concessions as necessary to compromise and avoid a full scale defeat by the Islamists.
    Someone smarter than me needs to chime in on this though... I could be wrong
    I think the situation with Erdogan had become impossible to maintain. The Turkish people mostly were opposed to the Islamic movement but Erdogan, like so much of Europe, had adopted such an appeasement stance that eventual capitulation was unavoidable. I think this coup will, in the long-term, be good for everyone. Who "won" will mostly be decided by the world community in the morning. Who is declared to be "in charge" will de facto be in charge.
    SmoothJazz and RickyD like this.

Military Coup in Turkey

Very confusing....both sides are claiming that they are trying to preserve democracy. Erdogan was becoming more authoritarian, especially cracking down on Kurdish separatists, which I thought was widely supported by the Turkish citizens.
    Sounds like there are more than two or three sides in this fight, which makes it complicated to understand.
    CBennett likes this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links