First time traveling as LEO out of state - Page 2

First time traveling as LEO out of state

This is a discussion on First time traveling as LEO out of state within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LEOSA is a Federal law. If you are on duty its not an issue. I've carried "off duty" all over the country without one single ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: First time traveling as LEO out of state

Lead Moderator
    LEOSA is a Federal law.

If you are on duty its not an issue.
    I've carried "off duty" all over the country without one single issue. Even in the People's Republic of California.

Just carry your badge and ID in a separate wallet in case the issue ever comes up. Just to be on the "safe" side, if I go out of state, I tell the Chief where I am going in case he gets a call to verify me.
    G-man*, 5lima30ret, LenS and 3 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    LEOSA is a Federal law.

If you are on duty its not an issue.
    I've carried "off duty" all over the country without one single issue. Even in the People's Republic of California.

Just carry your badge and ID in a separate wallet in case the issue ever comes up. Just to be on the "safe" side, if I go out of state, I tell the Chief where I am going in case he gets a call to verify me.
    The problem is when off duty, or retired.

One must keep in mind that LEOSA does not Preempt state laws.

In Hawaii for instance you must check your weapon with the nearest police dept within so many hours of arriving, and go
    thru all kinds of crap.
    And in some states, with mag capacity limits, or ammo type bans, you have to remain in compliance.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The problem is when off duty, or retired.

One must keep in mind that LEOSA does not Preempt state laws.

In Hawaii for instance you must check your weapon with the nearest police dept within so many hours of arriving, and go
    thru all kinds of crap.
    And in some states, with mag capacity limits, or ammo type bans, you have to remain in compliance.
    Also be aware that LEOSA does not exempt one from the federal "Gun Free School Zones" in other states.

Unless things have changed NJ only allows hollow points for NJ police. If you are visiting you might want to look at Corbon Power ball or something similar.
    G-man* and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Have a LE friend who comes up from Va. once in a while and he tells me NJ frowns upon it.................naturally.
    But he carries anyway.....Patriot Act, I believe.
    There is noting in the Patriot Act about LEOs carrying firearms when out of state.

HR 218 let's you carry anywhere in the US.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Goldstar225 likes this.

From the Fraternal Order of Police: http://fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf

But as has been pointed out above, some officers/agencies have their own unfriendly interpretation. Or may not even be familiar with HR 218 at all which was my own experience with a Florida park ranger, although he did acknowledge my Florida CCL.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, an LEO. But if we, as a society, can't agree that there's NO DOWNSIDE on allowing a sworn, vetted, trained portion of our OWN citizenry to carry withOUT the rat's nest of restrictions that y'all are discussing? Then we are no longer citizens...but cowering subjects of nanny-goat, agenda driven, dillusional utopians who have NEVER stared upon evil at arms-length.

I must now end my rant, because it's negatively effecting my blood pressure. God Bless every LEO on this forum! (Amen)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Lead Moderator
    Unless things have changed NJ only allows hollow points for NJ police.
    They have in fact changed.

Includes the carry of ammunition “not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act.” Federally legal ammunition, such as hollow-point bullets, can be carried where state law would normally prohibit it (i.e. New Jersey).
    http://www.bluesheepdog.com/improvem...rs-safety-act/
    mcp1810 likes this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

If you are a sworn paid police officer you can carry in all 50 states +. Ammo is not a problem but Magazine capacity is still an issue.

What kind of gun do you have & what states are you going to? I pocket carry and carry everywhere it is legal. Concealed is consealed, but you have to obey state laws that prohibit guns in certain areas. With the exception of Schools you can carry anywhere people with a CCW from that state can carry.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

I don't know where the OP is going, but it makes a difference if going on Federal property regardless of the state. If that's a factor, be sure to research the details, especially if the officer is non-federal.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennfd View Post
    There is noting in the Patriot Act about LEOs carrying firearms when out of state.
    I dunno.........

Thanks for all the responses guys. Maryland/DC area. Not an issue going to and from training as I'm on duty during those periods. DC is obviously an issue with all of the federal property so I've pretty much decided to stay away from carrying there unless I'm just driving through. There are state police, city police, and county police all within 2 miles of where I'm staying and have seen officers from each while I've been out eating or whatever. Talked to all of them and made some contacts and got the low down from them. Thanks for all the help and the links!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Bigsteve113 likes this.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

LEO Carrying Out of State

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    Hey all, I have some questions concerning carry as LEO out of state in both on and off duty capacities. I'll be traveling to the northeast for an academy and was hoping that some of you will have insight that I'm needing. Reply or PM me if you can help. Thanks!
    LEOSA in theory should cover you anywhere as a qualified LEO;....however....There are some states that make or take issue with other LEO's on Official Duty or not.
    Often they do it without penal code backing as a matter of tradition or past practice.
    New Jersey makes a practice of checking ammunition to insure ONLY NJ Officers are carrying JHP's (I keep a stock of Federal EFMJ)
    Additionally, New York in particular the city of, may detain until your HR is contacted to verify employment.
    It's crazy, but as a Federal LEO, I have experienced or had friends experience these very things.

this is why every leo, and there unions, must show support and backing for constitutionally carry laws, (at the state and fed levels), for every American.
    Nmuskier likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links