MOAB

MOAB

This is a discussion on MOAB within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed | Fox News...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: MOAB

MOAB

US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed

US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed | Fox News

gen3, dp1911, PhaedrusIV and 6 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Go big or go home.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "...a rifle behind every blade of grass."

When that mother goes off it REALLY goes bang.

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Bet that rattled their cage...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Bet that rattled their cage...
    I was at Tan Son Nhut AB in '68 when the Bien Hoa bomb dump was hit and could see and feel the explosions of the large munitions stored there. Wasn't there one used during the Vietnam War that had to be C-130 dropped. IIRC it was used to create an LZ with one drop and might have been referred to as the Daisy Cutter. Many years later, I saw what I thought was that bomb when I was viewing a training film While attending a class for bomb assembly that had been damaged at Bien Hoa AB bomb dump when it got hit back in '68. The Airman disassembling it was using a shovel to remove the explosives from the damaged casing.
    molleur likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    ✟✟✟ Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36 ✟✟✟
    Life Member: VFW, VVA, DAV, VSPA, NRA

I've been close when a three-ship of B-52s carpet bombed. It's quite an experience. I remember feeling pretty sorry for anyone under that. The infantry that went into the area later said that there was no trace of anything alive ever having been there. not even bones and teeth.

The overpressure on a MOAB would be pretty rough if you were in a confined area like a cave. Survivors would have ruptured eardrums and possibly some internal injuries. It would be interesting to see the aftermath and battle damage assessments.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of folks!
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Wait a second. What about the GBU-57A/B MOP? That one is stated to be carried by a B-2 and weighs 30,000 pounds.

VIP Member
    Where would we be in this fight if we were regularly using this 10 years ago?
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by 9uc View Post
    I was at Tan Son Nhut AB in '68 when the Bien Hoa bomb dump was hit and could see and feel the explosions of the large munitions stored there. Wasn't there one used during the Vietnam War that had to be C-130 dropped. IIRC it was used to create an LZ with one drop and might have been referred to as the Daisy Cutter. Many years later, I saw what I thought was that bomb when I was viewing a training film While attending a class for bomb assembly that had been damaged at Bien Hoa AB bomb dump when it got hit back in '68. The Airman disassembling it was using a shovel to remove the explosives from the damaged casing.
    That was the BLU-82, a 15,000 pounder fitted with a fuse extension for an air burst about two feet off the ground to clear an LZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    Where would we be in this fight if we were regularly using this 10 years ago?
    It really doesn't have a lot of practical uses. In open country the blast wave dissipates pretty quickly outside of about a mile. It's mostly a blast weapon without a lot of fragmentation. In a valley or some kind of confined space it develops awesome overpressure.

The fact that it has to be delivered by a C-130 also limits its use. The AF is reluctant to put a C-130 in a high threat environment because it's not stealthy and is slow and not extremely maneuverable.

I suspect that the use of the MOAB might be a response to N Korea's planned nuke test, as well as the death of the special ops soldier in Afghanistan last week.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I've been close when a three-ship of B-52s carpet bombed. It's quite an experience. I remember feeling pretty sorry for anyone under that. The infantry that went into the area later said that there was no trace of anything alive ever having been there. not even bones and teeth.

The overpressure on a MOAB would be pretty rough if you were in a confined area like a cave. Survivors would have ruptured eardrums and possibly some internal injuries. It would be interesting to see the aftermath and battle damage assessments.
    I know that feeling.
    Rhinoman, msgt/ret, 9uc and 2 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

In Nam we had the Daisy Cutter, it was only 14,000 pounds. Very good at making LZ's in the bush. Some times the Weedmonkeys were there when they made the LZ.
    msgt/ret, 9uc, molleur and 4 others like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

That will go a long way with the punk Pyongyang in North Korea. Wouldn't take but a small handful of those in North Korea to collapse everything he's got there.
    "Now go ahead and say something stupid!"

Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone that you meet. General James "Mad Dog" Mattis USMC

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    That will go a long way with the punk Pyongyang in North Korea. Wouldn't take but a small handful of those in North Korea to collapse everything he's got there.
    There's no way a C-130 would get anywhere near anything worth bombing in NK.
    Phaedrus, Rhinoman and OldChap like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links