What Happens When You Take A Gun Through Airport Security?

This is a discussion on What Happens When You Take A Gun Through Airport Security? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not much, apparently, if you have a bit of celebrity working for you. I'm not saying this guy, or anybody should get raked over the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: What Happens When You Take A Gun Through Airport Security?

VIP Member

Not much, apparently, if you have a bit of celebrity working for you. I'm not saying this guy, or anybody should get raked over the coals when mistakes are made, but I'm guessing it goes much worse for the everyday nobodies who find themselves in similar circumstances:

Country singer Scotty McCreery cited for handgun at airport | Fox News

“Unfortunately, I did not realize that I left my pistol in my backpack until the TSA found it during the security X-ray screening and rightly confiscated it,” McCreery continued. “I had my concealed carry permit on me so once they had checked everything out, they then released me to catch the next available flight. Great to know our airport security force is on the job. I have learned a lesson that I won’t forget.”

He was cited for a misdemeanor concealed weapon permit violation.
    OldChap, AzQkr, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Mike...all you need to do is tell TSA that you are a VIP Member of DC Forums.........No problem

flh
    How do you leave a gun in a back pack ? How do you just forget about a gun ? I don't get it ..

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Can't resist answering, "you get to meet a lot of new people... None of them will seem very friendly".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    How do you leave a gun in a back pack ? How do you just forget about a gun ? I don't get it ..
    It happens thousands of times each year.
    OldChap and Kennydale like this.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Can't resist answering, "you get to meet a lot of new people... None of them will seem very friendly".
    But they will heap lots of attention on you.
    OldChap, kmckinnon and rstickle like this.

Another example of the still-evolving double standard in the justice system.
    SatCong and msgt/ret like this.

Friend uses a range bag when he travels . Once he left some loose spent casings in it. TSA found them. He was interviewed for 20 minutes and still made flight ! (PS He was traveling with his firearm, he did check that in at the counter)
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    If folks can forget/leave a child unattended in a car they JUST parked at Walmart, a forgotten pistol in a backpack pocket (IMHO) becomes easier to understand.
    OldChap, SatCong and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Friend uses a range bag when he travels . Once he left some loose spent casings in it. TSA found them. He was interviewed for 20 minutes and still made flight ! (PS He was traveling with his firearm, he did check that in at the counter)
    That's great, since spent casings aren't prohibited in carry-on.

One of the local judges "forgot" he had his pistol in his IWB holster at the airport.
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimc12 View Post
    One of the local judges "forgot" he had his pistol in his IWB holster at the airport.
    I get it. My carry set-up is so comfortable that I didn't notice I wasn't carrying it until I got out of my truck in the Menard's parking lot the other day.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That's great, since spent casings aren't prohibited in carry-on.
    No, but I almost missed a flight once because the TSA agent felt compelled to open 4 boxes of ammo and swab every one of them. No idea what she expected to find, but the whole process took over half an hour.

McCreery is lucky he didn't have that "experience" at any of the NY/NJ metro area airports... he'd be in leg irons by now.
    Mike1956, SatCong and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No, but I almost missed a flight once because the TSA agent felt compelled to open 4 boxes of ammo and swab every one of them. No idea what she expected to find, but the whole process took over half an hour.

McCreery is lucky he didn't have that "experience" at any of the NY/NJ metro area airports... he'd be in leg irons by now.
    Reminds me of the new DOT guy trying to make heads or tails of my log book in a Maryland weigh station. He had me inside for fifteen minutes explaining how to read it while his training officer tried to keep a straight face.
    TSKnight and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

I hope you mean empty casings, as ammo is not allowed in a carry on either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links