Use of National Guard At Our Schools?, - Page 2

Use of National Guard At Our Schools?,

This is a discussion on Use of National Guard At Our Schools?, within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Phaedrus I think it violates the Posse Comitatus Act. I believe it's illegal to use military forces stateside in peacetime outside of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Use of National Guard At Our Schools?,

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I think it violates the Posse Comitatus Act. I believe it's illegal to use military forces stateside in peacetime outside of declared emergencies. As Mike says I don't really want to live under military occupation. And I think that drastically overstates the threat. School shootings are horrible, of that there's no doubt. But they're still a blip in overall crime stats and in a nation of 300,000,000 souls that's still a very small amount of deaths per capita.
    The Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor.

But I agree with you, the Guard is not the right solution.
    Phaedrus and baren like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Interesting, I couldn't remember the specifics. In any event I don't think we want a widespread mobilization of the Guard for school security. Soldiers are trained to fight, not act as police (aside from MPs of course).
    baren, Bad Bob and UrsusMedius like this.

Arm the school employees who want to carry and advertise the new policy. It just makes the most sense. We donít need to see guardsmen around the schools.
    baren likes this.
    Doing my best to stay left of boom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor.

But I agree with you, the Guard is not the right solution.
    Ahh! what about the Marines and Navy? If the all knowing google is accurate. The Act only specifically applies to the United States Army and, as amended in 1956, the United States Air Force. While the Act does not explicitly mention the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps. The Marines can switch between embassy duty and school duty.

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    Ahh! what about the Marines and Navy? If the all knowing google is accurate. The Act only specifically applies to the United States Army and, as amended in 1956, the United States Air Force. While the Act does not explicitly mention the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps. The Marines can switch between embassy duty and school duty.
    Different skill set. I would not want me fresh from the Army MP's guarding an elementary school. Not that it cannot be done, but MP's are a pretty rough crowd. I was rough as a city cop too.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    soldiers are trained to fight, not act as police (aside from MPs of course).
    Our politicians keep forgetting that. Soldiers can be peace/freedom restorers but are not peacekeepers.
    Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
    -H. Jackson Brown

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What can I say? Itís a gift
    You should re-gift it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Different skill set. I would not want me fresh from the Army MP's guarding an elementary school. Not that it cannot be done, but MP's are a pretty rough crowd. I was rough as a city cop too.
    Army MPís are sissyís that, from what I hear, canít even handle an N frame magnum
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by baren View Post
    Do you realize the crayon shortage in the schools if you were to have marines providing security at schools???
    Bad Bob, Phaedrus and baren like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Army MPís are sissyís that, from what I hear, canít even handle an N frame magnum
    Nah, it is just that our hands are so big and manly, from beating down lost marines........Don't the Marines still go to Army MP school?
    baren likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Ummmm, no

Nope!
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Nah, it is just that our hands are so big and manly, from beating down lost marines........Don't the Marines still go to Army MP school?
    I donít know about MPís, but I know at Stone Bay Rifle Range, we were always having army there to learn to shoot on a real 500 yard range.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

True, they are still trained at Fort Leonardwood, Missouri.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links