June 6 1944 Operation Overlord - Page 2

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord

This is a discussion on June 6 1944 Operation Overlord within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; @ Rock and Glock Thanks again...You have really brought the struggle in Normandy alive again. My father in law went ashore as a member of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: June 6 1944 Operation Overlord

@Rock and Glock Thanks again...You have really brought the struggle in Normandy alive again. My father in law went ashore as a member of the 2nd Infantry Division on D+1 at Omaha Beach. He refused to speak of the horrors he witnessed and would not watch the movie "Saving Private Ryan". He was wounded 8 days later, the first of two times he was wounded. The only thing he would ever speak about was how cold he was during the Battle of The Bulge. I never tire of reading of his Division's exploits in Europe:

History - Second Indianhead Division Association

Surely The Greatest Generation.

Rock and Glock...I would vote in favor of making your posts in this thread a sticky that everyone may come and devote some time to remembering, or seeing firsthand, the sacrifices made for freedom.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; June 7th, 2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling nit
    Tstone, matthew03, OD* and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I've been to the Memorial at Bedford. The spouses uncle was badly wounded in Normandy several days after the invasion. As a side note the Army wanted amphibious tractors for the D-Day landings that the Marine Corps were employing in the Pacific. The Army requirement would have taken the total production away from the Marines, thus the Senior Marine Corps leadership protested to such and extent that the Army didn't acquire amphibious tractors till later on which were employed to limited extent in crossing the Rhine river.

I deliberately looked for recognition of this day, June 6 1944 and was really disappointed in how little I found. Too many are ignorant of what happened on this day and what happened the following years .I sometimes wonder where we are headed. I don't doubt for a moment that this was our greatest generation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I read the Peanuts cartoon online yesterday. It was a tribute to the Greatest Generation and D-Day. The first comment was, "That’s nice, but we already have Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day." There is very little hope for the future.
    OD*, OldChap, gatorbait51 and 3 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    I've been to the Memorial at Bedford. The spouses uncle was badly wounded in Normandy several days after the invasion. As a side note the Army wanted amphibious tractors for the D-Day landings that the Marine Corps were employing in the Pacific. The Army requirement would have taken the total production away from the Marines, thus the Senior Marine Corps leadership protested to such and extent that the Army didn't acquire amphibious tractors till later on which were employed to limited extent in crossing the Rhine river.
    But the army had (non-) floating Shermans!
    OldChap, gatorbait51, OD* and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    We stopped at STE.-MÈR-EGLISE, France mid-morning. That village was immortalized in D Day with Red Buttons. See further below for more photos.

The approach:

Attachment 271425

This is a depiction of Steele and Red Buttons to make good photos and stories:

Attachment 271417

This is the back, where Steele was actually caught:

Attachment 271433

Attachment 271441

Attachment 271449

After being inland, where the AB landed and fought, we moved to the landing sites. My narrative may decline. They still just take my breath away.
    I get updates from the Church offering up wedding scenarios. If I could just get the daughter to go for it...
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Off the top of my head, I have know two men who went ashore at Normandy. Both went in at Utah Beach; one three days after the invasion, the other two weeks later. Both saw combat. The one who went in three days after the invasion was in combat for 22 months.

My wife used to work with a man at ASA (Army Security Agency) in the later 60's who went in the morning of the 6th on Omaha Beach. He was in the 116th infantry regiment of the 29th Division. He told her some interesting stories once he opened up and talked.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis40x View Post
    The LVT-4 was supposed to debut at Normandy , there were parks full of them and the earlier LVT-2 and -2(A) .Seems like Bradley thought they were toys . So, the -4 had it's debut at Saipan instead .
    Fun fact, the Army had something like six LVT's for every one the Corps had , more if you count the LVT-1(A) and 4(A) At the UTAH beach museum there's a wrecked LVT-2 inside , no armored cab. It was used to haul supplies up to the beach, made several trips until it kissed a Teller mine .

The Brits debuted the -4 , in fact, used them to assault the Scheldt Estuary , something Monty sort of forgot about until it became apparent that Antwerp. without a means to get there , was fairly useless .

See what happens when one has no life?

Here the National WW II Museum put on a huge show, very much a big event.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Senior Moderator
    These are from Omaha Beach. After Utah Beach and the stories our guide told, I forgot to take photos, and just kind of numbly followed absorbing his stories. He used hinged flip boards to show attack formations, and had the names and ranks down cold that added human drama. Our group was only eight including me and Nancy, so it was very personalized, and our guide so knowledgable, I just lost track of much of it. Writing this thread brings much back. At each location we stopped, he had personal stories of heroes and knew from where they came, how they ended up in that location, at that moment. It was riveting all day.

Obviously he knew the story of Richard Winter, and the assault at Brecourt Manor and as memorialized in Band of Brothers. He was a huge fan of that series. He also spoke of poor intelligence, for instance, the artillery supposedly above Utah Beach and the cliffs, which had been moved inland several hundred meters. Hence the naval bombardments were all off target. The top of the cliffs have not been restored. But for the grasses growing, it looked like a huge steam shovel had dug hundreds of craters, even eroded after 75 years, still 15 and twenty feet deep.

He spoke of the breach created on Omaha Beach using the Bangalore Grenades and the Rangers leading the way up the draw. He had tears in his eyes as he spoke of the bravery.

Omaha Beach is now a summertime resort. Houses, villas, and flats dot the edge of the dunes in some areas, and swimmers and the like use the vast beaches. Evidence of the turmoil is still present, including memorials, statutes, flags and the like. It was quite overwhelming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7414.jpeg  

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7415.jpeg  

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7416.jpeg  

Tstone, msgt/ret, OldChap and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    At the end of the day, about 3:45 PM, we arrived at the American Cemetery. I will probably present these without comment. It is beautiful. It is gorgeous. It is quiet, somber, and reflective. It took our breath away.

The Cemetery Staff struck the colors at 4:00, and with Taps, everyone was in tears. He had another hour there, to wander, reflect and discover.

Name:  IMG_7434.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  57.3 KB

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7431.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7423.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7417.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7432.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7424.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7418.jpeg

Name:  IMG_7433.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  54.0 KB

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7429.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7419.jpeg

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Senior Moderator
    And, to put a wrap on Normandy, if such can be done, I am posting some photos of our guide. He was a marvelous chap, Welsh, had been a WWII buff since he wore three cornered pants, and spent his holidays tromping around old battlefields with a metal detector and shovels.

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7445.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7440.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7438.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7446.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7441.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7439.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7449.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7442.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7450.jpeg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7440.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	271713

He got a huge tip from me that day. I was just overwhelmed with his knowledge, skill and enthusiasm. He earned it.

Senior Moderator
    And...........Our dinner!

French Onion Soup and Crepes. Plus a bottle of wine. The next day we stayed in Bayeaux to recover physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7452.jpeg

June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-img_7453.jpeg

And the obligatory bottle of French wine. Oui!

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I was just watching this again, in case some have never seen it.

OldVet not many things brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for that video. Thank you to the young man and his father. Thanks to all the Men who lost their lives at Normandy and during D Day.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Senior Moderator
    Oh man! This is great Richard! Thanks so much for posting these photos and links. It also warms the heart to see the comments made by Forum members who appreciate the day and the sacrifice.

We did the Normandy Beach thing from one end to the other. Took our boys when they were 12 and 10. Moving experience we'll never forget. Have tons of photos but never have loaded them in the computer.

One of the photographs is of a marker in the American Cemetery Pointe Du Hoc. Particularly sobering it was. I was looking for a "Texas boy" and came upon it. The "Texas boy" buried there happened to have been born on the same day as my father who served in the Pacific in World War II.

It was a gray, misty day, running to drizzle that day in the cemetery. Almost uncomfortably cool though it was late June. We walked into the cemetery and I was struck by the shear number of markers spreading out before my eyes. Then I walked to toward the center of the cemetery to discover that I'd only seen the front portion.
    June 6 1944 Operation Overlord-carlo-d-day-image.jpg
    My Yorkshire friend who is a huge World War II buff and who along with his family had traveled to Normandy with us stood in the small center monument out of the drizzle for awhile and contemplated things. I kept thinking about that "Texas boy" and my dad and "what if"... Then an iron bell in the distance began tolling the 11 o'clock hour. Pushed me over the edge, it did and the tears flowed. I looked around to find my friend also unable to "keep a stiff upper lip." He moved away and began looking another direction. That bell ...

Richard, I wonder if y'all ate in the same restaurant where we dined for lunch later that day in Sainte-Mère-…glise . We all had pizza and it was yum. It had very thin crust, sort of "less is more" sort of a thing. Later went through a small museum that featured a Waco glider.

Off the subject but did you take in the Bayeaux Tapestry?

History just "floats my boat!!!"
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I read the Peanuts cartoon online yesterday. It was a tribute to the Greatest Generation and D-Day. The first comment was, "That’s nice, but we already have Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day." There is very little hope for the future.
    There were USA haters then and there always will be. Screw em.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links