Drones Shut Down British Airport

This is a discussion on Drones Shut Down British Airport within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thousands stranded: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754...

Like Tree30Likes
  • 5 Post By Mike1956
  • 4 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By Pete63
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By ButtShot14
  • 3 Post By viney266
  • 2 Post By retired badge 1
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 3 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 3 Post By OldChap
  • 3 Post By CG11
  • 1 Post By PhaedrusIV

Thread: Drones Shut Down British Airport

VIP Member

Pete63, PhaedrusIV, AzQkr and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Skeet Shooting.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    I saw that on the national news this evening. To bad it's England. Dirtbag should be shot!
    OldChap likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have seen plenty of bird strikes and the damage they caused, I can only imagine how much more damage would be caused by a drone strike. I have wanted a drone but since I live in the TCA (Terminal Control Area) for Seymour Johnson AFB I cannot fly one at home.
    Pete63 and OldChap like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I foresee a new terrorist weapon emerging. Drones are cheap and difficult to deal with. This is going to be a real problem in the near future.
    viney266 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    I foresee a new terrorist weapon emerging. Drones are cheap and difficult to deal with. This is going to be a real problem in the near future.
    ^^^ Yet another weapon in the arsenal of idiots who really need to be labeled as terrorists. When you disrupt that many lives with your shenanigans, there should be a high cost.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Back in the mid-1960's the Wichita, KS, airport had a number of problems caused by jackrabbits being sucked into the jet engines of airliners. The response was asking the public to come out a couple of times per year, the airport shut down operations for a few hours while folks lined up at one end of the field and proceeded in line to the far end of the field, using their shotguns to shoot jackrabbits. Airport personnel followed along with pickup trucks, keeping everyone on line, supplying ammunition as needed, and collecting jackrabbit carcasses. Worked quite well, pretty much decimating the local jackrabbit population for months at a time. Everyone had a good time. Never heard of any injuries or property damage.

Of course, PETA did not exist at that time, and no one ever suggested that a jackrabbit had just as much right to use that airfield as the humans. No organized protests with people carrying signs and lighting candles for the poor jackrabbits being executed.

Today I would expect new laws requiring licensing of drone owners (after an extensive, and expensive, drone operators safety training program), registration of all recreational and industrial drones, requiring all drones to be equipped with transponders that will automatically transmit the registration number, and a new National Police Drone Enforcement Department going door to door inspecting drone owners to assure safe storage and protection against access by unauthorized persons. Certainly no "large capacity", or "extended range", or "semi-automatic" drones would be permitted. Maybe even a top-secret Drone Squadron patrolling sensitive areas to shoot down unauthorized drones to protect the public (the cop/patrol drone operators could wear special uniforms with leather flight jackets and white silk scarves, and a new dramatic TV series could be produced glorifying the Drone Cops and their daring exploits).

Come on! The things are nothing but plastic with tiny servo motors and batteries! Nothing that can't be taken care of by an ounce of #6 shot from a 12-gauge, and no significant danger beyond a couple hundred yards.
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.

@retired badge 1 : Your point is well taken that there should have been some simple solution and the Brits were not prepared. However, one article I read that these were "industrial level" machines. Machines like that are made of aluminum and reinforced carbon fiber. They can fly at 3,000 feet, do 50 mph and are highly maneuverable. A good pilot could make hitting something like that with a shotgun almost impossible. And also, you would have to have good aerial shooters with shotguns, in position near the drone's flight path and the drones may not follow a consistent flight path. They can only stay airborne for 30-50 minutes. There would have been no time to get something like that set up.

Also in the UK that kind of shooting is illegal, even for the police, without special authorization, which again, would have taken too long to get. They were also worried that a partial hit might have sent the drone crashing into a populated area. That would have been about 10 pounds impacting at up to 50 mph, which could have done some damage.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    the Wichita, KS, airport had a number of problems caused by jackrabbits being sucked into the jet engines of airliners.
    The best Jack Rabbit hunting in Great Bend Kansas was at the airport which was big enough to land Buffs.

Drones will be a scourge. Drones will soon be required to transmit identification signals to allow more tracking and or control by authorities.

On TV last night the news showed potential damage (and actual nose damage) from drones.
    OldChap, msgt/ret and OldVet like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

@retired badge 1

Yep. We had the very same problem back then in West Texas. On numerous occasions I had to physically kick the jackrabbits away from blocking the front door just to get out! We shot a brick of 22LR every night out on the country roads, along with everybody else AND every LEO known to man. We finally learned what caused that particular plague. The ranchers thought the coyotes were eating their calves and so they exterminated the coyotes. The rattlesnakes couldn't keep up and probably got trampled in the rabbit stampede.

Name:  animals-rabbits-multiplying-noahs_ark-rabbit-pests-gmin41_low.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  39.2 KB

Now drones? We had the perfect weapon for drones back in the late 70's: high power lasers. Since the British Army is going to give the UK police a hand, yuk, yuk, they might use a somewhat more advanced model.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

The publicity of the level of disruption caused may well produce a flurry of copycats. I consider also that this could have been a dry run for a more disruptive action in the future. I hope they get a handle on this quickly, and disseminate the knowledge of how to best deal with these things quickly.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

Quote Originally Posted by CG11 View Post
    The publicity of the level of disruption caused may well produce a flurry of copycats. I consider also that this could have been a dry run for a more disruptive action in the future. I hope they get a handle on this quickly, and disseminate the knowledge of how to best deal with these things quickly.
    This was my first thought: "Coming soon, to an airport near you." Bank on it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Sponsored Links