Army returns life saving helmet

This is a discussion on Army returns life saving helmet within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One very luck man , incredible . During the insider attack, McQueen was struck in the back of the helmet with a 7.62x54mm Russian round ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Army returns life saving helmet

One very luck man , incredible .

During the insider attack, McQueen was struck in the back of the helmet with a 7.62x54mm Russian round at a distance of about 20 feet, knocking him off his feet, he said. Understanding the gravity of the situation, McQueen quickly recovered and started checking on his Soldiers as they worked to secure their position.

https://www.army.mil/article/218172/...rotective_gear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Army returns life saving helmet-img_1430.jpg  

If it is ever your misfortune to be attacked, alertness will have given you a little warning, decisiveness will have given you a proper course to pursue, and if that course is to counterattack, carry it out with everything you've got! Be indignant. Be angry. Be aggressive.

Jeff Cooper

Thats a lucky man right there.
    We get the government we deserve.

Ex Member
    Glad that the warrior had the life saving helmet, and that the government and military have been focused on the well being of combatants since Obama was president. During the GW Bush administration there were numerous brain injuries because the helmets not have padded interiors that would coushion the shock of an IED exploding nearby. The entertainer/singer Cher mounted a campaign to provide the padding. It cost 99 cents per helmet and our government passedmit by as a cost saving. So it ended up paying for decades for the cost of brain injured vets.
    Texas Red, airslot and OldChap like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If God is with you, who can be against you? That soldier was blessed.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Glad that the warrior had the life saving helmet, and that the government and military have been focused on the well being of combatants since Obama was president. During the GW Bush administration there were numerous brain injuries because the helmets not have padded interiors that would coushion the shock of an IED exploding nearby. The entertainer/singer Cher mounted a campaign to provide the padding. It cost 99 cents per helmet and our government passedmit by as a cost saving. So it ended up paying for decades for the cost of brain injured vets.
    The development began in 2007. It was expanded and further development, testing and acquisition occurred in 2008-2010. Production by the contractor began in 2012 through 2013 and thereafter.

After failing initial testing in 2009 and 2011 based on a “pass-fail” standard, the standards of the program were revised to one based on statistical confidence: “the ECH had to attain a 90 percent probability with 90 percent confidence that the helmet will not be penetrated, according to Col. Mike Manning, program manager for Infantry Weapons Systems at Marine Corps Systems Command.”
    The result of the program has been something of a compromise. In 2017, the Army awarded a $98 million contract to manufacture 293,870 examples of a separate Advanced Combat Helmet Gen II (ACH II) while also rolling out the ECH:

The ACH II meets one of the ECH program’s criteria: It’s lighter than the ACH it replaces, weighing “about 2.5 pounds in size large — about a 24-percent weight reduction,” while providing the same ballistic protection as the ACH.

The ECH “is about the same weight as the standard ACH but provides increased protection and is capable of stopping rifle rounds.” This helmet is issued to personnel who are deployed to “high-threat combat situations such as Iraq and Afghanistan.”

The current ECH serves as a jumping off point for the development of The Integrated Head Protection System (IHPS), which Popular Mechanics described as “straight out of science fiction.”
    So.......what does this have to do with military procurement and the Presidents?

I might suggest it had more to do with research, the state of the art at specified times, and military procurement cycles.

That, and Cher’s numerous face-lifts.

I am happy soldiers are being fielded with better equipment!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The development began in 2007. It was expanded and further development, testing and acquisition occurred in 2008-2010. Production by the contractor began in 2012 through 2013 and thereafter.

So.......what does this have to do with military procurement and the Presidents?

I might suggest it had more to do with research, the state of the art at specified times, and military procurement cycles.

That, and Cher’s numerous face-lifts.

I am happy soldiers are being fielded with better equipment!
    Good facts but how does not putting 99 cents padding in a helmet in 2001 get justified by what you wrote. As for presidential performance the production of major improvements began under Obama. He did not take the stance that “you go to war with the army you have not the army you wish you had.” I Am not crediting any president with improvements. I am just glad some do not allow 99 cents to be an obstacle to brain injury. Again remember it was Cher who came through not the gov.

Oh almost forgot the decision to save two dollars per M16 by not it chrome plating the bolts. That got a few hundre$ infantryman in the Army killed and wounded until they fixed it. Fortunately for we Marines the M14 was our issue then because we got everything second. Sometimes you get lucky in war.

Senior Moderator
    I never found any comments about the 2001 exclusion.

I'm not doubting you, 1942bull but the blatant politicization confused me.

A decision based on $.99 is wrong, on $.15 is wrong, when actuaries run things, you get wrong answers. Me? I'd look inside the five rings of hell for the unicorn before I'd look elsewhere.

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I am not sure what all the comments above have to do with anything, but that helmet looks like a technical wonder to me. It looks like something from a terminator movie. Neat that they boxed it up and gave it to him.

Senior Moderator
    ^^^^^ Hell of a keepsake!
    msgt/ret, OD*, airslot and 2 others like this.

I'm really happy to see that the helmets currently issued are such a big improvement over the old steel pots we wore 45 years back.
    msgt/ret, OD* and Rock and Glock like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet183 View Post
    I am not sure what all the comments above have to do with anything, but that helmet looks like a technical wonder to me. It looks like something from a terminator movie. Neat that they boxed it up and gave it to him.
    Actually I think this has been done before, just can't remember how long ago. Also if I recall the first guy that got his back actually had to fight for it, being Gov't property and all!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I'm really happy to see that the helmets currently issued are such a big improvement over the old steel pots we wore 45 years back.
    On the down side, you can't slap one of these new ones on the fire to heat up water...
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    On the down side, you can't slap one of these new ones on the fire to heat up water...
    Seems there's always a trade-off.
    OD* likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Senior Moderator
    You can’t scramble and cook eggs in them.
    bmcgilvray, OD* and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Moderator
    It's wonderful to see that soldier standing there smiling and holding that helmet.
    Rock and Glock, OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links