Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video - Page 4

Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video

This is a discussion on Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are dozens of things the man could have done if he were interested in the least about not getting shot. His actions on contact ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    There are dozens of things the man could have done if he were interested in the least about not getting shot. His actions on contact almost assured himself of getting shot. From the video, I cant tell where the gun was but I do know, I couldn't see his hands. I will agree, the officer's (female) position sucked. Based on the actions of the man, I say it was a good shoot based upon what I saw...
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Have been on the receiving end of those nervious frantic commands. Getting my hands up where they could be seen was a default response no matter what the commands were.

If you think LE lack training, go meet a few half trained private security guards.

Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be more fear driven responses in LE today than in years past.
    Risasi likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Hmmm.....after seeing that vid again it may appear the female LE actions could have been in haste in relation to the orders given....2nd time in a few that a female cop is in question...other one regarding shooting an attacker in the back point blank and saying she thought is was her Taser.....NG....calls'em as I sees'em....omo.
    Instymp likes this.
    All I want is Whiskey twice my age......served by a woman half my age.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Gun in pocket not hand? It's "let me see your hands" and "keep your hands where I can see them".
    That's the command I was waiting to hear. Poor training.
    AzQkr, xXxHeavy and Wavygravy like this.
    Psalm 144:1

I was never a LEO, and I am sure that there is a good reason for training officers to keep screaming commands at people, but it sure doesn't work well with me.
    I bet if he moved to lay down, move anything, he would still have got popped by one officer there.
    Like I said, I am not a pro, but to me he was complying.
    I am 100% supportive of and appreciate LEO's & thank them for their service, but this one didn't look right to me.
    Psycho41 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    I was never a LEO, and I am sure that there is a good reason for training officers to keep screaming commands at people, but it sure doesn't work well with me.
    I bet if he moved to lay down, move anything, he would still have got popped by one officer there.
    Like I said, I am not a pro, but to me he was complying.
    I am 100% supportive of and appreciate LEO's & thank them for their service, but this one didn't look right to me.
    He didn't comply for how many seconds and how many commands? The longer you amp up an leo who believes you pose a deadly threat, the better your chances of their pulling the trigger based on an adrenaline rush that only increases exponentially with every second of non compliance.
    Instymp and The Old Anglo like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Bubblehead751's Avatar
    I would never armchair quarterback an officer in that position. Do what the officer says and sort the rest out later. Even if you are in the right.
    Instymp and The Old Anglo like this.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mountaineers are Always Free!

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    I Agree.....glad I'm not the judge.
    Instymp likes this.
    All I want is Whiskey twice my age......served by a woman half my age.

I have watched the video twice and read all responses thus far. While some think the guy probably deserves shooting anyways (doesn’t count legally) the biggest consensus is this probably was not really justified. Easy for us to review video footage and decide. LEO has to decide in a split second. But was the decision correct.?Law in most states want to know if the action is what a reasonable person would do. I’m not sure how I would apply that test if I were in that live situation (would have probably had more input of information) , but from this one video’s perspective, this was not reasonable or justifiable in my opinion.
    Psycho41 likes this.

New Member Array TigerOnTheHill's Avatar
    I've watched the video multiple times and read all the comments. Although I can't definitely see the gun at first, I wonder if the officers can see the gun because their line of sight is different from the line of sight on the video. The line of sight coming from body cam looks to be the mid chest (under her arms), much lower than the line of sight from the officer's eyes. Notice how low the line of sight is at the beginning of the video when they've driving. Consequently, I wonder if the officers can initially see the gun w/ their eyes although it may not can be seen w/ the body cam? At 1:30 she says "He's got a gun. He's got a gun," in a way that makes it sound like she actually sees a gun. I can't see a gun at that time. The first time I watched the video, I'm thinking they can see a gun, even though I can't. Therefore, as soon as he gun moved up It made me think he was making an offensive move w/ the gun. If the shooter can see the gun from the get go, that upward movement w/ his hand and the gun in it is worrisome. If she can't see the gun because it's in the pocket, that move is in compliance w/ some of the commands.

A friend of mine that retired from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Dept. as a detective knows the officer (Wende) that shot the man in question. She has been known to be a hot head. There is some question about her not following training protocol by not being behind cover.
    Instymp and Risasi like this.

There is more footage out now, about 10 minutes post shooting. Being respectful, its not good news for Wende.
    Instymp likes this.

I once arrowed what I thought was a buck; thinking it to be a small forkie. The deer was hit high and not recovered until gun season. The group from the farm knew about my arrowed deer and this "doe" when put down with a slug, had an arrow high - over the lungs. I would have swore it was a small buck and that I saw some antlers - what I probably saw was the white outline around the ears. Being a young hunter then, I was excited. I can understand an amped up leo thinking they see a gun - especially when they are led to believe there is one.

It is looking like the courts are now holding to a much higher standard. Is it getting too high? Is there any consideration for such foolish non compliance? How soon will the scales tip the other way and they will hesitate too long before firing? Is it possible to find enough people capable of living up to these new expectations of performance and awareness under extreme duress? I doubt it. The job appears much tougher than when my Dad joined NYPD after WW2. It's a different world and certainly a different culture now.

Having grown up with so many black and white cowboy shows, I hope my hands automatically go up if and when they all start screaming at this half deaf old guy who would probably have a hard time bending both knees to get down.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    There is more footage out now, about 10 minutes post shooting. Being respectful, its not good news for Wende.
    Yes, I watched the entire footage. Not good.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

VIP Member
    Cluster. Cops have a tough job at times, but from what I can see, he was attempting to follow orders.

"Put the gun down."

From the decedent's point of view, it might be a tad challenging to think rationally when two people are yelling at you with guns pointed. It appears he tried to follow their commands to the letter, and he got shot doing so.

Not saying the decedent was a boy scout, and if the 911 calls are true, he may have been up to no good. But...if you are going to give commands and they are logically followed, you shouldn't shoot.

What a mess.
    Instymp, Wavygravy and OldVet like this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links