Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video

This is a discussion on Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Between the reporting and the video, it looks like the shooting was justified. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has released video of the moments leading up ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: Charlotte, NC braces: Police release bodycam video

Between the reporting and the video, it looks like the shooting was justified.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has released video of the moments leading up to and after the fatal police shooting of Danquirs Franklin.

The 27-year-old was shot by veteran CMPD officer Wende Kerl, who has been a part of the department since 1995, around 9 a.m. on March 25 in the parking lot of the Burger King on Beatties Ford Road.

The body-cam video, released by police on Monday afternoon at 2 p.m., is two minutes and twenty seconds long. The first 30 seconds of the video does not have audio, which is standard for body-camera video released by CMPD...

In the body-cam video, officers Kerl and Larry Diehl drew their guns immediately upon getting out of their vehicles. Between the two officers, Franklin was instructed to either “drop the weapon” or “put the gun on the ground” at least 20 times.

“We are prepared for the worst but hoping for the best," said the CMPD Chief, who reiterated there is “clear and compelling evidence that Mr. Franklin was armed” at the time of the shooting.
    Police release body-cam video of fatal officer-involved shooting at Charlotte Burger King

Don't see any question about that one.

Edit: didn't realize the gun was in his pocket, not his hand. If so, then yeah, bad job.
    Last edited by maxwell97; April 16th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I see one. By what video was posted, I think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I know that Beatties Ford area well, well enough to avoid it. Seeing the girl walk right up to the car door while LEOs are pointing guns and yelling to put the gun down only proves the mentality of the denizens of the area. Anyone with the IQ of a muskrat would have said, "Oh crap!" and exited.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I know that Beatties Ford area well, well enough to avoid it. Seeing the girl walk right up to the car door while LEOs are pointing guns and yelling to put the gun down only proves the mentality of the denizens of the area. Anyone with the IQ of a muskrat would have said, "Oh crap!" and exited.
    You can't stop STUPID, You sure as heck can slow it down.. It's the "I don't have to listen to the LAW" attitude . OMI ; )
    H/D
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    "Sir, I'm not putting my gun down till they get my burger order right!" Pretty sure he was muttering that before shot.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    You can't stop STUPID, You sure as heck can slow it down.. It's the "I don't have to listen to the LAW" attitude . OMI ; )
    H/D
    It's more of an "I don't have any respect for life, not even my own" attitude.
    SatCong likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

After all the commands, I think he went to drop it. The following was bad.

VIP Member
    What on God's green earth do you have to do to convince these people??!! He deserved everything he got.
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    Be careful of people who brag about who they are - a lion will never have to tell you who he's a lion.

VIP Member
    At least twenty times? It was definitely time for a different approach.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

What I do not understand is why he was still there. Either leave or prepare to be arrested. If I were to plan to be arrested, the gun would be on the ground with me on my knees and fingers interlocked behind my head in an open space.

Kneeling between two cars where the officers cannot plainly see your hands and reaching for a gun regardless of intent would most likely have the same result for anyone as it did for this guy. I am sure it was also heightened by the failure to respond to the first 19 times they ordered him to do something. A nice “Officer, how would you like me to proceed?,” would have probably helped as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    He was Told Period!!!!!. End of Case!.
    ugh762x39 and simple_man17 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Instymp View Post
    After all the commands, I think he went to drop it. The following was bad.
    That is how I see it.
    Once again if you are going to issue a challenge then do so from behind cover which was a side step away.
    This gives you time to evaluate and not have to immediately open fire should he not act as you expect him to.
    Shooting him when he complies is not good.
    Risasi likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Anyone ever notice none of these "viral" police shootings come out of TN? There was one a couple days ago. Guy in Pigeon Forge had a knife and cops had to shoot him. Nobody here is upset about it.
    MMinSC likes this.

Sponsor
    The female officers tactics/positioning was horrible. Either the male officer was slow to fire or the female officer fired prematurely. Perception becomes reality. The dumb female that had to be told to move away? Hope she's not a breeder with off spring.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links