Secret U.S. Missile Aims to Kill Only Terrorists, Not Nearby Civilians - Page 2

Secret U.S. Missile Aims to Kill Only Terrorists, Not Nearby Civilians

This is a discussion on Secret U.S. Missile Aims to Kill Only Terrorists, Not Nearby Civilians within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by The Old Anglo UH,Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were Both Military Targets. Please check your facts. My post read "high priority military targets". ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Secret U.S. Missile Aims to Kill Only Terrorists, Not Nearby Civilians

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    UH,Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were Both Military Targets. Please check your facts.
    My post read "high priority military targets". Please read what you criticize before you respond.

I've just GOTTA post this...

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

No big boom sucks the fun right out of it.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No big boom sucks the fun right out of it.
    But, if the terrorist is filming propaganda when it hits, itíll make a heck of a YouTube video.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I had to do it. I looked up a calculator to determine fall time and ft. Lbs per second for a 100 pound object. I only had HS physics and that was 60 years ago so forgive me if I did this wrong. Assuming the object is dropped from 5,000 feet it will take it 17.63 seconds to hit the target in a free fall. It will develop 567 foot pounds per. Now I think that means a 100 pound object would hit with 56,700 pounds of energy. That would be like having a 56,700 pound weight dropped on you fro, a height of about 10 meters. Hopefully someone here recalls physics better than I. It would be nice to know what the correct calculation is.
    You started off OK, but you went into the weeds a bit in your calcs.

Neglecting wind resistance, 17.6 seconds will be the time of flight, and 567 will be the velocity at impact in feet per second.

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity squared. Mass = F/a or in this example, 500 lb/ 32.2 ft/sec/sec =15.5 slugs (lb-sec^2/ft).
    So KE = 1/2 * (15.5 lb-sec^2/ft) *(567 ft/sec)^2, or... 321,489 foot-pounds.

You were off by a factor of 6, but above 10,000 ft-lbs, in terms of the effects on the human body, it won't make an effective difference (except maybe the size of the scraps left behind).
    G26Raven, OldChap and sdprof like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    I've just GOTTA post this...

Not official without the "Acme Anvil Co." on the anvil!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If the motor is not a sustained burn I think I would let it free fall to terminal velocity and then kick the motor in for the terminal phase so we don't lose energy to drag in a sustained glide to the target.
    But that's just me.
    OldChap likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There's just no pleasin' some guys.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    But, if the terrorist is filming propaganda when it hits, itíll make a heck of a YouTube video.
    Let them film this:
    Name:  boom.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  8.0 KB
    G26Raven, maxwell97 and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    How "secret" can a weapon be that is in the Wall St. Journal? I'm sure the terrorists will not find out about it there!
    https://www.janes.com/

About Janeís Fighting Ships
    Jane's Fighting Ships is your essential reference to the changing capabilities of modern navies, their ships, aircraft and weapons systems in service and under construction. Colour photographs and line drawings can be found throughout to assist your recognition needs. Jane's Fighting Ships' authoritative inventories for 163 navies around the world also supports your threat assessment, and with comprehensive surveys of global construction and modernisation programmes you can be sure you won't miss any new market opportunities. Plus, with an annual review of naval events worldwide, flags and ensigns, ranks and insignia, senior appointments, personnel numbers, a downloadable worldwide naval inventory spreadsheet and a new country overview, Jane's Fighting Ships provides you with a complete and indispensable naval resource.

2009 Price List for Jane's publications
    Defence Equipment Library =*US $50,740.00 -- Jane's Defence Equipment Library is a comprehensive portfolio of information bringing together 23 Jane's products that provide defence equipment-related reference, news and analysis covering air, land, sea and industry.

Defence Magazines Library =*US $13,285.00 --*Jane's Defence Magazines Library brings together 10 Jane's products covering defence and security news and analysis, providing a comprehensive picture of the current global situation in one place.

Market Intelligence Library =*US $36,795.00 --*Jane's Market Intelligence Library is a comprehensive portfolio of information bringing together 17 Jane's defence and commercial industry-related sources of reference, news and analysis.

Security Library =*US $25,725.00 --*Jane's Security Library is a comprehensive portfolio of information bringing together 15 Jane's products covering armed forces, security, terrorism and insurgency related reference, news and analysis.

Sentinel Library =*US $34,955.00 --*Jane's Sentinel Library brings together global security and country risk assessments providing a comprehensive threat-assessment database.

Transport Library =*US $40,765.00 --*Jane's Transport Library is a comprehensive portfolio of information bringing together 18 Jane's products, providing transport-related reference, news and analysis covering air, land and sea.

Annual Total for 6 libraries =*US $202,305.00

-

To assist your information-gathering and to save you money, Jane's has grouped related subject matter together to form 'ready-made' libraries - online, on CD-ROM, via Jane's EIS or through Jane's Data Service. The entire contents of each library can be cross-searched. All libraries are updated according to the delivery service you choose and can be for single usage or networked throughout your organisation.

Create your own library - You can build your own bespoke collection of Jane's information, containing only what is useful to you and in a format to suit your environment. We recommend you work with our Information Consultants who will advise and help you to find the best information and delivery solution for you and your organisation.

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    My post read "high priority military targets". Please read what you criticize before you respond.
    Please Educate yourself. https://www.quora.com/Did-Hiroshima-...vilian-targets

Quote Originally Posted by retired badge 1 View Post
    Interesting.

During World War II if there was a ball bearing factory in a German town producing parts for a German tank or aircraft factory the Allies carpet bombed that town. Nearby residential areas housing skilled workers and engineers were considered legitimate target.

Neither Hiroshima nor Nagasaki were high priority military targets. They were selected as a demonstration of the futility of further resistance, and the historical record clearly shows that these bombings resulted in the capitulation of Japan, thus saving the Allied forces from the need for invasion against a hostile populace. Proof, you ask? The US government planned for the invasion of the Japanese home islands, making estimates of the casualties to be expected, and placed an order for 400,000 Purple Heart medals, and those Purple Heart medals are still being issued today, thanks to the fact that we didn't have to invade.

War is ugly. War is to be avoided whenever possible. But when war becomes inevitable it must be conducted ruthlessly and ended as swiftly as possible, which limits casualties in the long run.
    My father flew those missions. You have to remember they didn't have "smart" bombs like we do today. The technology of the day (Norden bombsight and "dumb" bombs) and German defenses (flak, fighters, and smoke pots) made the need for great skill in delivering the usual 4-5 thousand pound bomb load. That load was normally 8-10 500 pound iron bombs. That bomb load was released in a matter of seconds, so "carpet bombing" is somewhat of a misnomer. According to the Squadron history, dad only participated in one true "carpet bombing" mission out of the 33 missions he flew, that being a mission to destroy entrenched German troops in northern Italy.

The British perfected the technique of "carpet bombing" at places such as Dresden using small incendiary bombs, a technique we picked up for B-29 raids on vulnerable Japanese cities. The B-29 fire raids caused a great many more causalities than the atomic bombs. 100,000 dead and estimates of as many as 400,000 injured - in ONE NIGHT. Here is a little information on the deadliest bombing mission in history:

https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pl...ory-180954512/

And here is a little bit about the B-17 in WWII.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/B-17

@mcp1810 Post #22 ---> BINGO exactly how you do it. That comes at the expense of standoff range, but that is why you carry the weapon on a very quiet running Reaper at 12-15 thousand feet.
    G26Raven likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Fixed it for ya'

Name:  ACME B 17.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  69.5 KB
    G26Raven, Texas Red and gasmitty like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links