Pleasant encounter with Rocky Mount PD - Page 2

Pleasant encounter with Rocky Mount PD

This is a discussion on Pleasant encounter with Rocky Mount PD within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldChap It varies state by state on how you can present it. I have heard of people having it on their phones ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Pleasant encounter with Rocky Mount PD

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    It varies state by state on how you can present it. I have heard of people having it on their phones and we ran across that at times. I understand that now, in Texas at least, it may not be necessary unless the system doesn't have your insurance data in it. Maybe some of the current LEOs can chime in, but I expect it might be just as easy to contact your highway patrol or police and ask them directly.
    Here in North Carolina insurance information is printed on the registration.
    OldChap and RETSUPT99 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I was alway disappointed that when approaching a traffic stop the question was "Could I see license and proof of insurance, please" instead of "Could I see license and registration, please." The latter sounds so much better to me!
    Yeah Iím the good morning Iím officer ó with the such and such police department the reason i stopped you today is because of this. Did you know that this was either not working or that you were doing this (whichever fit.) once those were taken care of can I see your licsence registration and proof of insurance please. Then I typically give the once I verify the licsence is still valid I will get you back on your way shouldnít take but a moment I also normally add that as long as everything else is good Iíll get you out of here with just a warning. . Typically Iíll then come back and give them their warning, I donít typically write tickets more perform curtesy stops I also have found if a person knows when I come back they are likely only getting a warning it makes them feel a little more at ease.
    OldChap likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    Yeah Iím the good morning Iím officer ó with the such and such police department the reason i stopped you today is because of this. Did you know that this was either not working or that you were doing this (whichever fit.) once those were taken care of can I see your license registration and proof of insurance please. Then I typically give the once I verify the license is still valid I will get you back on your way shouldnít take but a moment I also normally add that as long as everything else is good Iíll get you out of here with just a warning. . Typically Iíll then come back and give them their warning, I donít typically write tickets more perform curtesy stops I also have found if a person knows when I come back they are likely only getting a warning it makes them feel a little more at ease.
    Ah - that's sweet! Not being sarcastic, but I bet there aren't 10 other LEO's in the country who are that polite and informative at the very beginning. I hope I'm wrong though.
    OldChap likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Ah - that's sweet! Not being sarcastic, but I bet there aren't 10 other LEO's in the country who are that polite and informative at the very beginning. I hope I'm wrong though.
    I think youíd be pleasantly surprised.
    ShooterGranny and OldChap like this.

Yes, I've read that. I'm not sure how/where to keep the registration and proof of insurance so it can be accessed immediately if it is not in the vehicle itself. I suppose I could make copies to keep in my purse/wallet which are already way too stuffed with stuff ?!?
    Take a photo of them on your cell phone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Take a photo of them on your cell phone.
    OV - You KNOW I don't have one of those phones!
    msgt/ret and OldChap like this.

==================

VIP Member
    In GA, insurance information on ones phone is acceptable, since the phone is usually on your person (or in your purse) which is, or was, in the vehicle, thereby satisfying the requirement that insurance information must be kept within the vehicle.

It's a little weird, because in GA you cannot get license plate, or tags without proof of insurance at the Tag Office. That's also kind of useless because insurance companies are required to provide insurance information on any GA registered vehicle to the GA Dept of Motor Vehicles, so the Tag Office already has your insurance information when you apply for new tags.

I always laugh because I have to provide information to the DMV they already have in order to get tags I can only get if I have proof of insurance they already have in their computer system. Sort of convoluted?
    OldChap likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

@high pockets . Yes it is. There are several good reasons for attaching the insurance to the registration electronically, not the least of which is officer safety. People don't need to fish around in a glove box for the paper. Lots of bad folks keep a gun in there.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    @high pockets . Yes it is. There are several good reasons for attaching the insurance to the registration electronically, not the least of which is officer safety. People don't need to fish around in a glove box for the paper. Lots of bad folks keep a gun in there.
    I agree. In addition, the "Registration" paper is also a bit superfluous, since the tag (or license plate) and the VIN number are are both going to come back with current registration information.

One of my vehicles is 10 years old. I bet there are at least 8 registration sheets in my glove compartment. Good luck quickly finding the current one if asked by a police officer. In fact, the last time I was pulled over (non-functioning brake light) I just gave the officer the first registration I found, not even knowing what year it was. No issue, the officer returned, said "you should get that light fixed as soon as possible, and have a nice day."

Oh yeah, she never mentioned the big silver Beretta box on the front seat.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Mrs OldChap keeps EVERYTHING paper we have ever gotten. She wouldn't throw out bank statements from 1971 because she says we might need them some day!

She used to keep every insurance card we ever got in one of those red plastic holders and hand it to the officer. She got it handed right back quite a few times. I always gave the sheepish grin routine.
    ShooterGranny and msgt/ret like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Yes, I've read that. I'm not sure how/where to keep the registration and proof of insurance so it can be accessed immediately if it is not in the vehicle itself. I suppose I could make copies to keep in my purse/wallet which are already way too stuffed with stuff ?!?
    SG. Take a picture of required docs with your phone and put them in an album for future access without scrolling thru all your pics.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    SG. Take a picture of required docs with your phone and put them in an album for future access without scrolling thru all your pics.
    As I already responded to OV - I DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE!

I guess there is no need to keep the registration papers in the glove box because each year we get a sticker to put on the license plate along with the new registration piece of paper. Perhaps I might be able to have my insurance information card laminated and keep it in my purse/wallet along with a couple dozen other cards.
    airslot and msgt/ret like this.

==================

Yeah Iím the good morning Iím officer ó with the such and such police department the reason i stopped you today is because of this. Did you know that this was either not working or that you were doing this (whichever fit.) once those were taken care of can I see your licsence registration and proof of insurance please. Then I typically give the once I verify the licsence is still valid I will get you back on your way shouldnít take but a moment I also normally add that as long as everything else is good Iíll get you out of here with just a warning. . Typically Iíll then come back and give them their warning, I donít typically write tickets more perform curtesy stops I also have found if a person knows when I come back they are likely only getting a warning it makes them feel a little more at ease.
    I do something similar, but I skip the the I'm Officer Aquaman with such and such PD. 90% of my stops are courtesy stops also, most people don't realize they have a light out, kinda hard to see from inside the vehicle, in Iowa the state gives you one extra month on your registration renewal, if your plates expire in April, you have till the end of May to get them renewed, after that I generally stop people the following month (June) and remind them their plates are expired and they should get them renewed as soon as possible because another Officer might not give them a break. After that (July) I write them a citation but also explain to them if they get it renewed and take it to the magistrate on the court date, 90% of the time our magistrate will throw it out, they just want to see compliance.

Most all of the stops our Officers make our "courtesy stops" most people think cops write tickets to create revenue, the state sees most of the money from a ticket the city sees very little.

Iowa is a No duty to inform state, but I have people inform me all of the time they are carrying, I usually ask if they have a permit but don't usually ask to see it unless my "Spidey" senses start tingling, With a chuckle I usually just tell them if they leave theirs in the holster I'll leave mine in the holster, usually puts people at ease knowing I'm OK with them having a firearm, sometimes I will even ask what make and model they are carrying. When the encounter is complete I thank them for informing me and I thank them for taking their personal safety seriously.

My bad. I hadn't gone beyond the post I quoted.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

As I already responded to OV - I DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE!

I guess there is no need to keep the registration papers in the glove box because each year we get a sticker to put on the license plate along with the new registration piece of paper. Perhaps I might be able to have my insurance information card laminated and keep it in my purse/wallet along with a couple dozen other cards.
    You are not the only one that keeps them all I will guarantee that. I always get a chuckle out the person going through their glove box pulling out registrations, I can tell by the color of the sticker that remain on the registration what year it expired, as they pull it out and say "here it is" I'll tell them nope that one expired in 2016 or that one expired in 2017, at the end I politely tell them they might want to throw the old ones away and just keep the current registration and current insurance card, there is no reason to keep the old ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links