Defensive Carry banner

I thought I heard everything, but this tops them all.

997 views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  OneGunTX 
#1 ·
I wonder if there will be any LEOs left in California?

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

SAN FRANCISCO — A showdown over when police in this state can use deadly force is set to unfold in the California Legislature next week, one that could bring sweeping changes to local law enforcement departments that give officers broad latitude in deciding when to shoot to kill.

At issue is Assembly Bill 392, known as the California Act to Save Lives, which would put the onus on officers to justify discharging their weapon, shifting the standard from “reasonable” — as defined by the Supreme Court's 1989 Graham v Connor ruling — to “necessary.” That means that, under the proposed bill, police must feel confident that it is truly necessary to shoot to protect themselves or others from danger, or they could be prosecuted for killing their victim.

Instead of reaching for their guns, officers would be pressed to engage in de-escalation tactics — in addition to considering options such as a Taser or a baton — that aim to reduce tension between officer and suspect. Experts say these include listening to the suspect's story, explaining the actions an officer is about to take, and ensuring that the suspect's dignity is preserved throughout the interaction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...wiPEnTwyTNjpkQos2DI9HZgXKiKKPO5JnKeP_qrc_hNiY

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if there will be any LEOs left in California?

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

SAN FRANCISCO — A showdown over when police in this state can use deadly force is set to unfold in the California Legislature next week, one that could bring sweeping changes to local law enforcement departments that give officers broad latitude in deciding when to shoot to kill.

At issue is Assembly Bill 392, known as the California Act to Save Lives, which would put the onus on officers to justify discharging their weapon, shifting the standard from “reasonable” — as defined by the Supreme Court's 1989 Graham v Connor ruling — to “necessary.” That means that, under the proposed bill, police must feel confident that it is truly necessary to shoot to protect themselves or others from danger, or they could be prosecuted for killing their victim.

Instead of reaching for their guns, officers would be pressed to engage in de-escalation tactics — in addition to considering options such as a Taser or a baton — that aim to reduce tension between officer and suspect. Experts say these include listening to the suspect's story, explaining the actions an officer is about to take, and ensuring that the suspect's dignity is preserved throughout the interaction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...wiPEnTwyTNjpkQos2DI9HZgXKiKKPO5JnKeP_qrc_hNiY
They should spend less time legislating nonsense and devote more resources to effective hiring practices and training. JMO, of course...

#5 ·
One of the problems with non-dangerous people is that they lump all dangerous people together. Another problem is that they genuinely believe that they have some understanding about how to deal with dangerous people.

#10 ·
One thing I've learned, is that the more stupid you gather in one place, the greater the stupid gets. Exponentially.

Much like the top brass that I currently work for. There is a shortage of people going into the custodial field. The people who normally work those jobs also work in the trades. Right now, the trades are paying more than the school district I work for does. How would rational people attract more candidates? Would they lower the starting wage, and cut the entry level positions to 9 month jobs? That's what was done, and now we have even fewer applicants (as was predicted by myself and many others).

We have a growing number of people in this nation who are truly stupid, truly ignorant, or both. I'm not shocked that this has been proposed. I would never have conceived this as a possibility though.

#13 ·
Wow, just—wow!

#19 ·
Well, first of all, who carries a baton any more except for riots? That SOP horse ran from the stable after the Rodney King fallout.

Yes, bring back the baton.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lXE_Q5ZtB18

Reactions: G26Raven
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.