I thought I heard everything, but this tops them all.

This is a discussion on I thought I heard everything, but this tops them all. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wonder if there will be any LEOs left in California? Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law SAN FRANCISCO — ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: I thought I heard everything, but this tops them all.

I wonder if there will be any LEOs left in California?

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

SAN FRANCISCO — A showdown over when police in this state can use deadly force is set to unfold in the California Legislature next week, one that could bring sweeping changes to local law enforcement departments that give officers broad latitude in deciding when to shoot to kill.

At issue is Assembly Bill 392, known as the California Act to Save Lives, which would put the onus on officers to justify discharging their weapon, shifting the standard from “reasonable” — as defined by the Supreme Court's 1989 Graham v Connor ruling — to “necessary.” That means that, under the proposed bill, police must feel confident that it is truly necessary to shoot to protect themselves or others from danger, or they could be prosecuted for killing their victim.

Instead of reaching for their guns, officers would be pressed to engage in de-escalation tactics — in addition to considering options such as a Taser or a baton — that aim to reduce tension between officer and suspect. Experts say these include listening to the suspect's story, explaining the actions an officer is about to take, and ensuring that the suspect's dignity is preserved throughout the interaction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...JnKeP_qrc_hNiY
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I wonder if there will be any LEOs left in California?

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

SAN FRANCISCO — A showdown over when police in this state can use deadly force is set to unfold in the California Legislature next week, one that could bring sweeping changes to local law enforcement departments that give officers broad latitude in deciding when to shoot to kill.

At issue is Assembly Bill 392, known as the California Act to Save Lives, which would put the onus on officers to justify discharging their weapon, shifting the standard from “reasonable” — as defined by the Supreme Court's 1989 Graham v Connor ruling — to “necessary.” That means that, under the proposed bill, police must feel confident that it is truly necessary to shoot to protect themselves or others from danger, or they could be prosecuted for killing their victim.

Instead of reaching for their guns, officers would be pressed to engage in de-escalation tactics — in addition to considering options such as a Taser or a baton — that aim to reduce tension between officer and suspect. Experts say these include listening to the suspect's story, explaining the actions an officer is about to take, and ensuring that the suspect's dignity is preserved throughout the interaction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...JnKeP_qrc_hNiY
    They should spend less time legislating nonsense and devote more resources to effective hiring practices and training. JMO, of course...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Senior Moderator
    They need a good contingent of cops in that legislature. Too many sheltered fools who've never dealt with dangerous people making laws about dealing with dangerous people.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I saw on the Portland, Oregon local television news that their police department has over one hundred openings that they can't find qualified applicants to apply for today. It is only going to get worse
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    They need a good contingent of cops in that legislature. Too many sheltered fools who've never dealt with dangerous people making laws about dealing with dangerous people.
    One of the problems with non-dangerous people is that they lump all dangerous people together. Another problem is that they genuinely believe that they have some understanding about how to deal with dangerous people.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I saw on the Portland, Oregon local television news that their police department has over one hundred openings that they can't find qualified applicants to apply for today. It is only going to get worse
    Qualifications themselves often discourage the best-suited from pursuing such careers.
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.

I'm amazed anyone becomes a cop in those bastions of cop hatred.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

If the person is dangerous, can't an officer explain why that person is dangerous and why they needed to draw a gun on the person?
    Psalm 144:1

Senior Moderator
    Too many in California consider LEO “dangerous” for various reasons be it cultural conditioning, rap sheets, outstanding warrants, idiots and bleeding hearts.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

One thing I've learned, is that the more stupid you gather in one place, the greater the stupid gets. Exponentially.

Much like the top brass that I currently work for. There is a shortage of people going into the custodial field. The people who normally work those jobs also work in the trades. Right now, the trades are paying more than the school district I work for does. How would rational people attract more candidates? Would they lower the starting wage, and cut the entry level positions to 9 month jobs? That's what was done, and now we have even fewer applicants (as was predicted by myself and many others).

We have a growing number of people in this nation who are truly stupid, truly ignorant, or both. I'm not shocked that this has been proposed. I would never have conceived this as a possibility though.

Senior Member Array KevinRohrer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    ^^This^^

is going on everywhere. Police departments around the country used to attract literally hundreds of applicants for a handful of openings. No more. And we all know why. Society is slowly receding due to the Left. It will come to a complete halt in the big cities first, then spread outward.

For those unaware, big cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, etc have been hiring "soft felons" for a long time, so the department "represents" the city makeup (i.e. inclusiveness, affirmative action, etc). Not good for those cities, and really not good for its inhabitants who don't hide behind walls and armed security.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, American Legion

Senior Moderator
    We need a sequel to "Escape from NY"

Maybe kind of a RoboFelon dystopian bladerunner style movie based on LA without LEO
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Wow, just—wow!
    "Power always comes from men acting together…; isolated men are powerless by definition.” Hannah Arendt

"The less we are governed internally, the more we invite external governance from the state." Murray Rothbard

People, good and bad need to realize that if you don't follow a LEO's commands it probably will not be good. Plain and simple. Just my two cents worth.
    Being Armed Is A Mindset, Not A Physical Condition - Rob Pincus

GOA, SAF, NRA, Kansas State Rifle Assoc.

I take it the California snowflake idiots who wrote that drivel never spent any time with cops on a "ride along" or two.
    airslot and G26Raven like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links