Parkland deputy who did not respond to shooter arrested. - Page 17

Parkland deputy who did not respond to shooter arrested.

This is a discussion on Parkland deputy who did not respond to shooter arrested. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dude is going to have a great time in prison being labeled a coward. I say lock him up and throw away the key. He ...

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree520Likes

Thread: Parkland deputy who did not respond to shooter arrested.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Dude is going to have a great time in prison being labeled a coward. I say lock him up and throw away the key. He failed as an officer and a human being.
    Wavygravy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Dude is going to have a great time in prison being labeled a coward. I say lock him up and throw away the key. He failed as an officer and a human being.
    While part of me agrees, the other side of me says he deserves a fair trial - as do some others who played political games with kid's lives. You're right about prison though.
    Havok likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Thatís the issue though. I donít think anyone would criticize him for taking a less aggressive action than what would be expected of a team, but I think no action at all is unacceptable.
    I agree, yet 40% or thereabouts of schools don't even have one SRO. I suppose it suggests society in general has decided once again that those kids are just SOL. This country is either all in or it's not to protect kids in schools ADEQUATELY. Presently, it's not.

Whether it's a school or a business with multiple entry points and hundreds of fatal funnels, a lone responder is inadequate. Can it be found adequate in some cases? That's been proven several times, but society is either all in or it's not and right now, it's not. It's throwing a feel good bandaid fix of a lone sro at the wall and hoping it's enough most of the time. That's unacceptable to me when leo's are put at greater risk than necessary.
    Havok and Mike1956 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I agree, yet 40% or thereabouts of schools don't even have one SRO. I suppose it suggests society in general has decided once again that those kids are just SOL. This country is either all in or it's not to protect kids in schools ADEQUATELY. Presently, it's not.
    We have one per district here in Marion county, at a cost to the district of over $100k/year. All districts involve multiple campuses, so each SRO may or may be not on site during any particular event.
    AzQkr and Havok like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

The other point of discussion I'd like to address in the Parkland incident is did the leo who wouldn't go in have any formal training in active shooter response? Obviously some have had specific training in one man searches through multiple funnels, but how much if any formal training did the leo who didn't go in have, if any?

Did the school district allow or did Parkland police dept afford this soon to be retired leo into that position without any formal training in one man response/s? Did they consider his age, athletic ability to respond in assigning him to the sro position? Or did they just put the old duffer out to pasture at the school because he could no longer be effective on the streets?

Culpability, if the above disclosure proves he had no formal training for that job description, if the above shows he should not have been assigned to that position based on age, physical ability to perform properly, improper mindset but was assigned the position anyway just to get someone into that school, there's a lot of share culpability for the results.

ColoradoDiablo, still waiting on your offering up those quotes I asked for lest you be found to have misstated facts/made accusations not in evidence. When you can't find what you're looking for to support your statement/s, I'll expect a retraction from you. Please try to refrain making false statements about my position in the future. Much appreciated.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    So if a school can only afford one officer then don't bother. Double them up iui n a more affluent school.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    So if a school can only afford one officer then don't bother. Double them up iui n a more affluent school.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    It's not that a school district can't afford one or more than one per school, it's about allocating the funds, having determined the actual needs to reduce risks to both students, teachers and law enforcement. There's so much waste in state and local govs that could be resourced properly, but the priority has not been set high enough by society in general.

When parents take their kids safety seriously enough, the funds WILL be allocated. At the present time, society at large and the parents specifically just haven't been willing to pay for real security, instead opting for a bandaid fix to stop the arterial bleeding.

That includes metal detectors at every entrance and someone to man them while school is in session. Locking the school down after classes begin. Locking the classrooms once class has started. Putting surveillance systems in play throughout the school with someone monitoring them at all times. Having one or more leo's on premise roaming around with comms to the monitoring person/s. Making sure mental health officials do their job of removing those at risk of committing these crimes when the warning signs are present which has not happened but rarely in the past. And the hit parade of list of steps to take to secure the schools and thus the kids from these events increases exponentially
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    It's not that a school district can't afford one or more than one per school, it's about allocating the funds, having determined the actual needs to reduce risks to both students, teachers and law enforcement. There's so much waste in state and local govs that could be resourced properly, but the priority has not been set high enough by society in general.
    Baltimore will bus school kids down to DC to have them play dead on the White House lawn, all in the name of demanding more gun restrictions. Meanwhile...
    AzQkr, Havok and airslot like this.

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    The other point of discussion I'd like to address in the Parkland incident is did the leo who wouldn't go in have any formal training in active shooter response?
    In my opinion, it doesnít matter what his training was. He failed as a human being and as the first line of defense for situations like this. Youíre making this an academic argument. Lots of men have done more with no training at all.
    patkelly4370 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Sorry brother, Post 210

The question remains. Do you believe that a highly trained police officer stands no chance, and yet you are vastly superior to him and thus more likely to survive or make a difference? You really think two would guarantee a positive outcome?

And why do you believe that? Because SROs are always on the outside coming in, while others are always on the inside behind cover? Can you somehow guarantee that will always be the case? What if you find yourself outside or in a disadvantageous position? If what you say is true, then the best thing is to just throw the gun away and slink off to hide while others die, because you've already told yourself that one man on the outside is ineffective.

I can guarantee that those who do that will eventually pay a terrible price. I've worked with quite a few. If it hasn't happened to this deputy yet, trust me, it will. No amount of macho, boasting, or bravado will prevent it.

And I disagree. Carrying a gun is not a contest to see who has the most and best training, tools, and expertise. Carrying a gun is about survival. Survival is often about who is willing to lay his life down for another. In my experience, survival is 90% attitude, and only 10% everything else. Highly trained is not some kind of "talisman" that will always save your life.
    I would much rather be armed inside the building than waiting for the one-man cavalry to arrive from outside the building. It's no more complex or debatable than that.
    OldChap likes this.

The other point of discussion I'd like to address in the Parkland incident is did the leo who wouldn't go in have any formal training in active shooter response? Obviously some have had specific training in one man searches through multiple funnels, but how much if any formal training did the leo who didn't go in have, if any?

Did the school district allow or did Parkland police dept afford this soon to be retired leo into that position without any formal training in one man response/s? Did they consider his age, athletic ability to respond in assigning him to the sro position? Or did they just put the old duffer out to pasture at the school because he could no longer be effective on the streets?

Culpability, if the above disclosure proves he had no formal training for that job description, if the above shows he should not have been assigned to that position based on age, physical ability to perform properly, improper mindset but was assigned the position anyway just to get someone into that school, there's a lot of share culpability for the results.

ColoradoDiablo, still waiting on your offering up those quotes I asked for lest you be found to have misstated facts/made accusations not in evidence. When you can't find what you're looking for to support your statement/s, I'll expect a retraction from you. Please try to refrain making false statements about my position in the future. Much appreciated.
    Hey Brownie: Iíve had a feeling all along that he was just stuck out there for easy duty until his retirement date.
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I would much rather be armed inside the building than waiting for the one-man cavalry to arrive from outside the building. It's no more complex or debatable than that.
    Agreed.
    AzQkr likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Hey Brownie: Iíve had a feeling all along that he was just stuck out there for easy duty until his retirement date.
    Eight to four, Monday thru Friday for $120k/year?
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    @AzQkr has made the point that inaction saves a life...the life of the lone LEO whose life is more important than the potential lives of children saved.
    Thatís BS right there!

You donít know who your talking about. I do, and if you did, you wouldnít be spouting such drivel.
    AzQkr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Eight to four, Monday thru Friday for $120k/year?
    Probably.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Sponsored Links