You would think this would be a no-brainer

This is a discussion on You would think this would be a no-brainer within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't imagine this being a controversial subject at all... Florida authorizes armed paramedics for hostage standoffs, mass shooting response Paramedics can now be armed ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: You would think this would be a no-brainer

I can't imagine this being a controversial subject at all...

Florida authorizes armed paramedics for hostage standoffs, mass shooting response

Paramedics can now be armed when responding to mass shootings or hostage standoffs.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Friday championed by Broward law enforcement agencies that authorizes trained paramedics and physicians attached to a SWAT team to carry a firearm during high-risk operations.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...kDFFIHrXkSk1HU
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

Good for them. At least they can defend themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I sure wished some aspiring politician would have authorized Chaplains working with SWAT teams to have a ballistic vest!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I can already hear the panicked reactions. "OMG, if I get into a wreck while I'm tweeting messages to my followers I don't want to get shot, too!"
    Havok, OldChap and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Someone will certainly find something controversial about arming physicians and paramedics attached to SWAT. They are only to be armed for "high risk" operations. Does SWAT conduct "low risk" ops? I would think anytime SWAT gets called out there is the potential for any op to become high risk. Which might mean they are always armed "just in case".
    airslot, TGbow, OD* and 2 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Good thinking and we ALL have the Right of self-Defense!.
    johndp1911, G26Raven, OD* and 2 others like this.

VA passed a bill like that, but Gov. Northam wouldn’t sign it.
    airslot likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Just make them special deputies. You could limit what they have the power to do like no arrests etc. Then they'll be able to carry whenever and wherever they need to.

I guess my questions are:
    1- If they are justified to carry in these two situations why can they not carry full time? Anyone reading papers today know that attacks on first responders such as Fire and Rescue have seen increased attacks over the years.
    2- Will they receive the same training as their LE counterparts? I'm talking about not only the range time but what about the shoot house, shoot/don't shoot scenarios and so on. If not then I would imagine lawsuits will come flying when they shoot someone and the lawyers start asking questions about their training.

I agree with the need to protect themselves but I can see major issues if not done correctly.
    OldChap likes this.
    The More People I Meet the More I Like My Dog.

This is how it should be. I really don’t understand why every SWAT team doesn’t have a couple medics as part of their team, much like how SOF units have SOCM’s, 18Ds, etc.
    G26Raven and OldChap like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by ShenandoahValley View Post
    I guess my questions are:
    1- If they are justified to carry in these two situations why can they not carry full time? Anyone reading papers today know that attacks on first responders such as Fire and Rescue have seen increased attacks over the years.
    2- Will they receive the same training as their LE counterparts? I'm talking about not only the range time but what about the shoot house, shoot/don't shoot scenarios and so on. If not then I would imagine lawsuits will come flying when they shoot someone and the lawyers start asking questions about their training.

I agree with the need to protect themselves but I can see major issues if not done correctly.
    There is a certification course for tactical medics - those attached to SWAT teams. It is tough. IIRC they must learn everything a SWAT officer learns, plus all the very specialized medical techniques that military combat search and rescue medics (PJs) learn. And from my experience, the real danger is not the medic shooting someone, it is the medic getting shot during the SWAT operation.
    Last edited by OldChap; June 12th, 2019 at 10:54 AM.

Awww. Too bad, the rest of you lowly, non-SWAT paramedics can't carry. You're on your own.

Stupid law. All or none. Make a decision; live with the consequences.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Too many variables associated with this "partial" law.
    To avoid repercussions! Either poop or get off the pot!
    Stay safe all. Tom TKH
    OldChap and G26Raven like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpagus View Post
    Too many variables associated with this "partial" law.
    To avoid repercussions! Either poop or get off the pot!
    Stay safe all. Tom TKH
    Yup. Our grandson-in-law is a Paramedic. I'm slowly assembling a ballistic vest for him. He would have to carry it in a backpack, take time to put it on, and make sure it didn't get stolen, but it might save his life. I would feel better if he could carry.
    G26Raven and The Old Anglo like this.

VIP Member
    It would be ludicrous to expect those who come to our rescue to be hobbled and stripped of their second amendment rights simply because they are there to help us - who's to say they might not help us by taking out a bg?
    G26Raven and The Old Anglo like this.
    So who is this Will that everybody fires at, what did he do, and how come he's not dead yet??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links