Virginia Beach victim considered bringing a gun to work the day of the shooting

This is a discussion on Virginia Beach victim considered bringing a gun to work the day of the shooting within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Virginia Beach paper, as well as major news outlets, are reporting on an complaint being made by the husband of one of the victims ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By Frodebro
  • 1 Post By TSKnight

Thread: Virginia Beach victim considered bringing a gun to work the day of the shooting

The Virginia Beach paper, as well as major news outlets, are reporting on an complaint being made by the husband of one of the victims of the Virginia Beach shooting. Jason Nixon, the husband of victim Katherine Nixon, says the night before the shooting she discussed with family members whether she should bring a gun to work the day of the shooting or call in sick. She said she feared workplace violence that day, both from the shooter, DeWayne Craddock, and one other employee. She ultimately decided to do neither and to go to work as normal. She rejected the idea of bringing a gun because of city policy.

Jason alleges that Katherine told him Craddock had gotten into loud arguments with co-workers the day before the shooting and had made threats. This is in contrast to the position of the Virginia Beach government, who said they had no reports of trouble with Craddock. But they will not release his employment records. The version of Craddock's resignation letter they released had the date and other details redacted.

The New York Times reported yesterday that Craddock had recently begun acting strangely and got into physical "scuffles" with other city workers, including a "violent altercation on city grounds" in the week before the shooting. The Times also has reported he had been told that disciplinary action would be taken. This is in contrast to statements made by the city that Craddock was an employee in good standing.

A cynical view might be that Mr. Nixon is just trying to set up a big lawsuit against the city. It was his attorney who made the allegations public. But I think the detail about her considering bringing a gun to work is unusual. Nixon and his lawyer have to know that this allegation will not factor in a lawsuit without some corroboration. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Mr. Nixon's story is true, it would put a whole different spin on that tragedy.

And of course there is the obvious thing: If it were not for city policy, Ms. Nixon, and perhaps some other employees, might well have carried guns routinely and would have had them the day of the shooting.

As I reported in other threads, in response to the shooting, Gov. Northam has called a special legislative session on gun control starting July 9. Surprisingly, the Virginia Beach chief of police, who has been fairly anti-gun in the past, made a public statement that none of Northam's proposals would have stopped the shooting. The VCDL will conduct a special lobby day on the 9th and will have representatives attend all the legislative committee meetings. I've volunteered to be one of the team leads for the lobby day and I will attend as many committee meetings as I can.

A cynic might also say that Northam is pushing Virginia Beach to keep a lid on this Craddock/Nixon story until after the session. This should be very interesting...

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/v...87b2a3b42.html

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/v...a14760c75b.htm
    Hatchee, graydude and TSKnight like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Call me a cynic, but I think the city is withholding information to cover their butts regarding known problems with the shooter, and the Governor is, like they always do, using the incident for political leverage to further his anti-gun agenda while completely ignoring the fact that the shooter apparently had prior issues that should have alerted people to the potential for danger.
    jmf552 and gatorbait51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    And the plot thickens. Worth watching...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Sponsored Links