First Responder Murdered After Giving Narcan

This is a discussion on First Responder Murdered After Giving Narcan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Link courtesy of Greg Ellifritz. A bunch of stuff can and sometimes does go very wrong, quickly: https://www.firefightingnews.com/bod...g-firefighter/...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: First Responder Murdered After Giving Narcan

VIP Member

Link courtesy of Greg Ellifritz. A bunch of stuff can and sometimes does go very wrong, quickly:

https://www.firefightingnews.com/bod...g-firefighter/
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

My wife says Narcan is a double edged sword: it can stop a potentially fatal overdose, OR it can ruin an expensive high, making the patient dangerous. She says the canned doses are the most dangerous ones to use. According to her, you can administer it slowly and not get so dangerous a reaction from the patient. Still, they almost never used it without armed security present.

The most interesting aspect of that video is not the Narcan, but that fact that here was a guy willing to commit murder with a handgun in a carry holster. Extremely rare to find that.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Many of these overdoses around the nation are suicide attempts whether wittingly or not.

Stop reviving them...

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

How unfortunate. I really question the benefit of administering Narcan to OD's, rather than just taking advantage of the inherent benefit of the opioid epidemic, that of naturally weeding out the number of drug abusers (aka morons) in society. Corpses are a lot easier and safer to handle.
    airslot, hogdaddy and seeker_two like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Fortunately, Narcan does not work on a lead overdoes. IMO, it contributes to drug use/overdose enabling. Play that game, pay the price.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

One more reason to not revive these pieces of shyte. We get opioid ODs in the ER all the time, they get Narcan and wake up all belligerent because we ruined their high. I say screw 'em, let nature take it's course.
    Old Sarge, OD*, Pete63 and 5 others like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

The first step in emergency first aid, according to the Red Cross, is ensuring that the scene is safe for the responders. To me, that would include a pat down of the victim. I think especially if the victim is in distress as a result of some criminal activity like drugs, that should be a must and it wouldn't take that long. It also seems to me that at least one cop should have stayed close to the victim.

The Virginia legislature passed a bill that first responders could carry concealed, the governor wouldn't sign it. Also, paramedics have all kinds of protective equipment. Maybe they need vests too.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Many of these overdoses around the nation are suicide attempts whether wittingly or not.

Stop reviving them...
    I understand the sentiment, but first responders arenít gods, so they canít make that call. Their job is to save lives.

What should be learned from this is that security comes first, emergency care second.
    DZUS, Pete63, msgt/ret and 8 others like this.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

We carry Narcan when I volunteer for our sheriff's office, and we have been warned about this exact type of incident.
    Last edited by G26Raven; June 15th, 2019 at 07:08 PM.
    DZUS, Pete63, QKShooter and 3 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Sounds to me like the LEOs were asleep at the wheel --
    "Eventually, Houston became irate and drew his sidearm from a snap holster under his shirt, chambered a round, and opened fire.
    Failing to react in time, police officers ran around the other side of the bus. They eventually returned fire, but not before Houston succeeded in shooting Lundgaard and used a bystander as a human shield."

Now wait a minute. They didn't frisk him even after he refused to be frisked, then he had time to draw from a snap holster, chamber a round? The LEOs were on "the other side of the bus?"
    Asleep at the wheel.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    How unfortunate. I really question the benefit of administering Narcan to OD's, rather than just taking advantage of the inherent benefit of the opioid epidemic, that of naturally weeding out the number of drug abusers (aka morons) in society. Corpses are a lot easier and safer to handle.
    You would not feel that way if your kid was saved by a Narcan shot.
    Wavygravy and ButtShot14 like this.
    " Keep Packin' On The Bimah"

U.S.A.F. 1966-1971 1821-H O-3

N.R.A. Certified RSO

If memory serves from what I've read on the topic, Narcan competitively inhibits opioid receptor sites in the CNS, and when it takes effect the OD victim/volunteer is likely to be strung out as before.

And, the Narcan can wear off before the opioid is eliminated, meaning that the OD subject can relapse.

I appreciate the sentiments of those who would just let the ODs die, however I believe in supplying Narcan treatment, but only, only if it does not put the responder at risk.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but first responders arenít gods, so they canít make that call. Their job is to save lives.

What should be learned from this is that security comes first, emergency care second.
    It seems to me it was the "patient" who played god here. If the paramedics had "played god," one of them would be alive to go home to his family.

Sometimes it's obvious that the gene pool is trying to adjust itself. We should not interfere.

I think providing heartbeat and airway support is always warranted. Giving them something to help with a drug overdose? Not with my tax dollars, thank you.
    wmhawth, WC145, jpg366 and 1 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    I saw the video on national news this mourning. It appeared as if he "totally had ALL HIS FACULTIES," & was just plane mean/criminal in his actions, seconds before he draws & fires. Should have just let him OD on bus!
    WC145 likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    One more reason to not revive these pieces of shyte. We get opioid ODs in the ER all the time, they get Narcan and wake up all belligerent because we ruined their high. I say screw 'em, let nature take it's course.
    Would you say let nature take its course if it were your family dying because of poor life choices they made, whether it be nutrition, tobacco, alcohol, or anything else on a long list of things that people do that contribute to injuries, medical issues, or death?
    maxwell97 and Wavygravy like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links