It's with sadness....

It's with sadness....

This is a discussion on It's with sadness.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, my ride as a Peace Officer is coming to a quick close. Our Under Sheriff informed me that next week, I will be transitioning ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: It's with sadness....

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

It's with sadness....

Well, my ride as a Peace Officer is coming to a quick close. Our Under Sheriff informed me that next week, I will be transitioning from Reserve Deputy to Department Chaplain. Other than sadness, I have no complaints. The decision is due to my age, and as I start the downhill slide to 68, I can understand their concern for my safety. The criminals we are starting to deal with are a different breed than our county has dealt with before.

It has been a wild and great ride. I can't express the pride I have felt, while on a hot call, to still be part of those who run towards the sound of gunfire. And I have had multiple "interesting" calls, been on pursuits, hunted for felons in wheat fields with our ARs, responded to road rage calls with shots fired, been part of a Secret Service Vice President Protection detail, lain in the dark with my AR waiting for an abusive husband who threatened to shoot us, had my gun out and on folks......

I actually DO look forward to continuing to serve the Deputies, Staff and their families as Chaplain, but DANG, I'm going to miss that distinction of being one of the guys running to the fight.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Well, my ride as a Peace Officer is coming to a quick close. Our Under Sheriff informed me that next week, I will be transitioning from Reserve Deputy to Department Chaplain. Other than sadness, I have no complaints. The decision is due to my age, and as I start the downhill slide to 68, I can understand their concern for my safety. The criminals we are starting to deal with are a different breed than our county has dealt with before.

It has been a wild and great ride. I can't express the pride I have felt, while on a hot call, to still be part of those who run towards the sound of gunfire. And I have had multiple "interesting" calls, been on pursuits, hunted for felons in wheat fields with our ARs, responded to road rage calls with shots fired, been part of a Secret Service Vice President Protection detail, lain in the dark with my AR waiting for an abusive husband who threatened to shoot us, had my gun out and on folks......

I actually DO look forward to continuing to serve the Deputies, Staff and their families as Chaplain, but DANG, I'm going to miss that distinction of being one of the guys running to the fight.
    Thank you for the time you put in!

After almost 4 years of retirement, I miss it sometimes.....I think....kinda...sorta.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Thank you very much for your service! I salute you!
    Sister, Pete63, msgt/ret and 13 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

^^^^^ What Lima Charlie said ! ^^^^^
    Sister, Pete63, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Thank for helping keep our country safe and secure!

The criminals we are starting to deal with are a different breed than our county has dealt with before.
    Curious- What is the trend? More violent? More drugged-up? More anti-LEO?
    Sister, Pete63, msgt/ret and 5 others like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

God bless you for keeping so many safe and giving of yourself for others.

Thank you, and hope you do get to enjoy your new position at work, may find you like it better than you suspect. 😊
    Trust God.

What would happen if you put the same amount of trust in God that you do in the brakes on what your driving on the highways?

Think about it.

VIP Member
    Good luck with the change of duties, Sir.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Thank you very much for your service! I salute you!
    My sentiments too.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Chaplain Scott, you are a great man. I salute you!
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Thank for helping keep our country safe and secure!

Curious- What is the trend? More violent? More drugged-up? More anti-LEO?
    More Violent, quick to flee, drive down the wrong side of the interstate, just to get away......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    You are a very good person, Chaplin, and I'm sure you have already accepted that it is God's will that you continue to serve your fellow officers in this safer capacity. Seems like She wants to keep you on earth for a bit longer and has decided this job is the right one for you now.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Thank you for your continued service.....your an important link in the chain of command and much appreciated I'm sure.
    OD*, Chaplain Scott and Old Man like this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    More Violent, quick to flee, drive down the wrong side of the interstate, just to get away......
    Won't "like" this comment, but it is some of the same seen all across the nation.

I'll add my thanks to the others here. You have given of yourself and am sure will continue to do so in your new role.
    With the current climate of hate for LEO's the need for moral support is more important than one might think.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Thanks for your service and good luck with new endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OD*, msgt/ret and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks for your service, Brother. My department had a firm retirement policy. I hit it...instant retirement. I miss it, but I do recognize the necessity of not overly risking a life.

Fire guys lose more brothers to heart attacks than anything.

I served the officers, their families, and the civilian employees and their families, as well as the Fire/EMS guys and their families. But my primary responsibility was to the community as a whole - sort of an ambassador at large. The badge got me in a lot of situations and doors I would never have been invited into otherwise. On top of that, I did a LOT of ride-alongs and call outs. I miss it, just writing this.

Enjoy your new ministry, Brother.

Make sure you keep your vest!
    forester58, airslot, OD* and 7 others like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links