U.S. GO in Afghanistan still likes his 1911

This is a discussion on U.S. GO in Afghanistan still likes his 1911 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...sonal-sidearm/ General Scott Miller, former SOF operator, prefers his 1911 to the new SIG 9mm. But then, he's probably the only GO to be confident ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: U.S. GO in Afghanistan still likes his 1911

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...sonal-sidearm/

General Scott Miller, former SOF operator, prefers his 1911 to the new SIG 9mm. But then, he's probably the only GO to be confident with the M4.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member
    Good choice for a CQBP, but you have to be able to reliably Nd accurately operate it. Most service members to whom it was issued could do that when I was carrying one. But ammo capacity and rate of proficiency pushed the military to 9mm. Marine Force Recon still uses a modified M1911 and I believe MARSOC Marines do also. But they train relentlessly with the gun.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Never been in combat, but i trust my 1911 enough that it is my everyday carry.
    I shoot it better than any other pistol I own.
    The Old Anglo and Instymp like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Good choice!
    Instymp and SatCong like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Distinguished Member
    It does require more training to use proficiently. Good to see a GO actually firing weapons......
    MMinSC likes this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...sonal-sidearm/

General Scott Miller, former SOF operator, prefers his 1911 to the new SIG 9mm. But then, he's probably the only GO to be confident with the M4.
    He apparently did not care for the Beretta either as he was issued the 1911 in 1992 and it became his official general officer sidearm in 2009. Seems like he always carried a 1911 during his career since that is what Delta used during the 80s/90s when he was there(according to article). I imagine the 1911 he was issued was not one of the ones that sounds like a can of spray paint when you walk. Wonder what it was?

I wish we the knew the model he carries now too. The article just stated prominent beaver tail and black.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    It does require more training to use proficiently. Good to see a GO actually firing weapons......
    And apparently fire them he did. Last paragraph of article:

Candidates passing through the Delta Force pipeline in the 1980s and 1990s were known to have made thorough use of the M1911 pistol, firing the weapons for hours on end every day, according to former Delta operator Eric Haney, in his book Inside Delta Force.
    Instymp likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    And apparently fire them he did. Last paragraph of article:

Candidates passing through the Delta Force pipeline in the 1980s and 1990s were known to have made thorough use of the M1911 pistol, firing the weapons for hours on end every day, according to former Delta operator Eric Haney, in his book Inside Delta Force.
    All the Glock people on Facebook say 1911s are unreliable though!

I love my 1911, but I would rather have something with higher ammo capacity on deployment.
    Nmuskier and MMinSC like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

A properly set up 1911 will run with the best of any handguns available. Most commercial 1911's are not set up properly from the factory and can be tweaked further for reliability. I'm quite sure Delta has their own armorers who know how to affect the correct tweaks to a 1911, so their guns would be able to run all day without malfs.

I presently have 3 that are set up properly and run like clockwork. One's a mutt AO milspec, ones my training no sights gun and the other is the Ed Brown semi custom Kobra carry commander.

Back in 77, I had two SA 1911 milspecs properly set up by a retired former navy 1911 armorer. I carried those two guns on the streets for near 3 decades. I won't carry a 1911 for SD that's not been tweaked properly or at least checked to ensure it is set up properly.
    Instymp likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    As far as capacity argument goes for civilian users like myself. 9 does not bother me.
    My son, also a LTC holder just bought a Sig 365 and enjoys telling me he has 15 rounds.
    Which I reply, that's because you need 15 to accomplish what I can do with 9.
    If I need more than 9 rounds before reloading I am definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    msgt/ret, Instymp and Frodebro like this.

I love my Colt 1911’s, but I’m not stuck on stupid about them, nor am I a Glocktard.

There are some great oldies that still could do the job, and there are the poly wonders that have taken us in to a new dimension of added “pros” with each having a few “cons” as well.

If i were still in that line of business, I’d feel just fine with either.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

General is a rank that is allowed to purchase and use a personal firearm of their choosing. I have never seen where they changed that regulation.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Familiarity, proficiency, and confidence would seem to make this a natural choice for him. I'm hard pressed to find any reason to question the selection.
    Still Clingin'

I would bet this particular guy has more 1911 time than all of us put together and is totally confident is his choice. Its a good way to be.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Kilted, yes 9 is plenty, until it isn't. Sometimes one can't choose one's surrounding. Sometimes it chooses you.

Seeing as he's a General, I doubt he's in harms way very often. Capacity isn't an issue for someone like that. Until it is.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links