Another Don't Be That Guy Award - Page 3

Another Don't Be That Guy Award

This is a discussion on Another Don't Be That Guy Award within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Hatchee Bravo to the security guard....yes you read that correctly. Simply being a uniformed police officer does not automatically allow you to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Another Don't Be That Guy Award

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Bravo to the security guard....yes you read that correctly. Simply being a uniformed police officer does not automatically allow you to carry your firearm into restricted areas. If he was on personal business, the same rules regarding firearms would apply to him as they do to the general public.

"Federal laws or regulations are not superseded by LEOSA. Qualified officers may not carry concealed weapons onto aircraft under the act. They also cannot carry firearms into federal buildings or onto federal property. However, in February 2010, a federal statute took effect authorizing individuals to carry concealed weapons into national parks if they have complied with the carry concealed rules of the state or states in which the park is located.49 Of course, this federal statute will not change the fact that it is unlawful to carry a firearm into federal buildings, even in a national park.50 This would include facilities, such as visitorís centers, museums, and restrooms."
    I was just wondering about that. Even so, it was an over-reaction by the security guard, IMHO. Our gun laws reminds me of what I told my boss before retiring - that is, there are too many rules, regulations, policies and procedures to keep track of. Sure, there's reference material but who would want to stop and look that stuff up on the fly? If you did, it'll make your trips and work take much longer. And your interpretation of the law could be wrong. So, I guess that's why we have courts and lawyers in case one makes a mistake and hopefully one does not find him/her self in prison.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I was just wondering about that. Even so, it was an over-reaction by the security guard, IMHO. Our gun laws reminds me of what I told my boss before retiring - that is, there are too many rules, regulations, policies and procedures to keep track of. Sure, there's reference material but who would want to stop and look that stuff up on the fly? If you did, it'll make your trips and work take much longer. And your interpretation of the law could be wrong. So, I guess that's why we have courts and lawyers in case one makes a mistake and hopefully one does not find him/her self in prison.
    That is one of the great initiatives of the current administration - the elimination of 2 regulations for every one that is added. Its amazing how many completely BS regulations unelected, life-tenure, bureaucrats have come up with over the years.

As for this one, pointing a weapon at the back of a deputy sheriff who doesn't have his weapon drawn is a huge error. Sorry, but again, the "federal facility" in question is in a non-governmental building so there isn't anyone to "check your weapon with" when you enter the building as has been suggested by some here.

BTW, in 20 years we've never had a MWAG call on a LEO at our local USPS Office (which is a FEDERAL Facility on its own land) despite officers walking into the facility nearly every single work day over the course of that 20 year span. Why? Because, contrary to many's belief, our USPS employess are not complete idiots.

Lets look at the lies from the IRS Guard:
    1) armed citizen to the 911 is a lie by omission by not mentioning its a Deputy Sheriff
    2) he won't leave - clearly shows in the video the deputy trying to enter the elevator (which is PUBLIC space and OUTSIDE the IRS office which he has ALREADY left) is a lie by commission

And those are the only ones we can tell are lies from the video and audio recordings played in the video shown here.

Bottom line - tactical moron with delusions of being Barney Fife had a gun.
    Last edited by PPS1980; July 22nd, 2019 at 02:24 PM.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

@PPS1980 I hold police officers in the highest regard and admire their selfless dedication. However, I have personally been involved with 3 sheriff deputies that violated my rights against illegal search and then lied about it when I insisted, and after 15 minutes finally got, our local sheriff involved. LEO is not always in the right.

We simply do not know what happened. Also, I was too quick to praise the security guard and admit that I was wrong to do so without knowing all the details.

However, something happened that prompted the security guard to pull his weapon. It will be interesting if we ever learn what initially transpired.
    @Hatchee Ok, Ok, now I understand where you are coming from. You hold "police officers" in the highest regard, but you experienced a bad interaction with three sheriff deputies that allegedly violated your right against an illegal search and the law enforcement officer in this thread is also a sheriff deputy. Is he from the same county where you had a bad experience?

Honestly, I understand your point about Federal Law and the deputy being on personal business, but your position is like sticking your finger in the dike after the dam fails.
    OldChap likes this.
    Annoy a Liberal!! Get a job and think for yourself!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Gloves..........I guess he could be doing a lot of pat downs during the day. And where does the Federal part of that office end if itís a rented space in a private building??
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

No and that is why I have said multiple times that none of use know what took place prior to the video.
    This being true, you sure make some bold assumptions about what you think went down:

Bravo to the security guard....yes you read that correctly. Simply being a uniformed police officer does not automatically allow you to carry your firearm into restricted areas. If he was on personal business, the same rules regarding firearms would apply to him as they do to the general public.
    And given this:

@PPS1980 I hold police officers in the highest regard and admire their selfless dedication. However, I have personally been involved with 3 sheriff deputies that violated my rights against illegal search and then lied about it when I insisted, and after 15 minutes finally got, our local sheriff involved. LEO is not always in the right.

We simply do not know what happened. Also, I was too quick to praise the security guard and admit that I was wrong to do so without knowing all the details.

However, something happened that prompted the security guard to pull his weapon. It will be interesting if we ever learn what initially transpired.
    Okay...well done. You know why some of us hold the word "assume" in the lowest regard.

@PPS1980 I have walked into a Federal facility with armed officers on several occasions: several times on calls of disorderly persons around a courtroom, one time when a USPS worker thought he had found a suspicious package and needed a bomb technician. I have never encountered such an issue with a hostile federal employee. I did work a call where an armed security guard shot someone that he thought cut in line at the box store he has working in. Fortunately the victim lived. Unfortunately the guard drew 15 years for aggravated assault.
    Last edited by OldChap; July 22nd, 2019 at 03:52 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    ..... @PPS1980 I have walked into a Federal facility with armed officers on several occasions: several times on calls of disorderly persons around a courtroom, one time when a USPS worker thought he had found a suspicious package and needed a bomb technician. I have never encountered such an issue with a hostile federal employee. I did work a call where an armed security guard shot someone that he thought cut in line at the box store he has working in. Fortunately the victim lived. Unfortunately the guard drew 15 years for aggravated assault.
    Again, it's really easy. Uniformed officer behaving properly, gun holstered, asked to leave, proceeds to do so. What in the world would motivate any SANE person to draw their weapon?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    So if there was an incident at the IRS building the deputies would have to leave their guns in their patrol vehicles?
    ButtShot14 likes this.

Not an attorney nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I do know that Federal Buildings have their own set of rules.

Did the uniformed officer check-in when he entered the building? Was he asked to leave his firearm with security and refuse? Not enough info given.

Gaston is now suing the security company Ekland is employed by and for lost wages. He says he suffered emotional and psychological distress, and remains on medical leave........

ETA: police uniforms for rent - $20 a day Police Uniforms For Film - Thrifty Rents - Costumes $20 A Day
    Let me say this about that--It's a darned good thing this officer never had to engage a jaywalker or he'd really have been emotionally stressed. Someone is looking for an easy payday.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Another Don't Be That Guy Award

Is it just me?

Or does that rent-a-cop look like an overweight mall ninja?

OldChap likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Rent-a-cops with guns always get my attention. By any standard they are so undertrained as to be a potential menace as was the guard in the video. The deputy kept his cool. That is professionalism in spades.
    What you said.

These, um, "security" guards might just be the folks who could not be otherwise employed.

Scary?

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

the entire planet has gone nuts. Beam me up Scotty.
    PhaedrusIV and OldChap like this.
    Give to them according to their deeds and according to the wickedness of their endeavors; give to them according to the work of their hands; render to them their deserts. Psalm 28:4

Strange. The IRS employee called 911. The dispatcher sent ARMED Toledo police officers to respond. The ARMED officers entered the premisses and seemingly violated the very same complaint. Why did the guard not point his weapon at them? Same exact event. The guard is a moron. The IRS employee is also a moron, and should be fired.
    WC145, OldChap and montejames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    This being true, you sure make some bold assumptions about what you think went down:

And given this:

Okay...well done. You know why some of us hold the word "assume" in the lowest regard.

@PPS1980 I have walked into a Federal facility with armed officers on several occasions: several times on calls of disorderly persons around a courtroom, one time when a USPS worker thought he had found a suspicious package and needed a bomb technician. I have never encountered such an issue with a hostile federal employee. I did work a call where an armed security guard shot someone that he thought cut in line at the box store he has working in. Fortunately the victim lived. Unfortunately the guard drew 15 years for aggravated assault.
    Unfortunately for HIM; fortunately for most of the rest of us.
    OldChap, airslot and montejames like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

First the video, then the comments.... Wow, just wow.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

When MORONS control the government, this is what you get. HUGE KUDOS to Deputy Gaston for remaining calm.

Sadly, firearms are off-limits in all federal buildings, except to the security guards who work there. If I'm not mistaken, that includes local, county, and state law enforcement, except in situations involving concurrent jurisdiction. Only federal law enforcement can enter while armed.

I've gone round and round with my members of Congress on this one, especially those who're staunch supporters of the Second Amendment. They're adamant about protecting our 2A rights, except when it comes to removing those Constitutionally unlawful "No Firearms" signs in front of their office. Then they just grin and shrug, like, "Can't do anything about it."

The video finishes: "The security guard was arrested for aggravated menacing."

Good!

If only We the People could walk into an IRS office while carrying and have THEM arrested for aggravated menacing.

I strongly recommend we not try this at home, though...
    OldChap and awanatech like this.
    How many times must we see defenseless people die before we realize being defenseless is NOT the answer? // The First protects the Second and the Second protects the First. Together, THEY PROTECT EVERYTHING ELSE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links