The Armyís SAW and M4 replacements;

This is a discussion on The Armyís SAW and M4 replacements; within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Army has selected 6.8mm as the new common round for both its Squad Automatic Weapon and M4 replacement https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-deadly-round/...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The Armyís SAW and M4 replacements;

The Army has selected 6.8mm as the new common round for both its Squad Automatic Weapon and M4 replacement
    https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-deadly-round/
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

From what I understand, this isnít the 6.8spc. Iím curious to know what they will come up with.
    OldChap, Nmuskier and Risasi like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

That they are not going to use the 6.8 SPC is unfortunate. It has become a far better round than when it was first released.
    Havok and Struckat like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    The Army has selected 6.8mm as the new common round for both its Squad Automatic Weapon and M4 replacement
    https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-deadly-round/
    From the article:

A Prototype Opportunity Notice posted on the government website fbo.gov is going to give three companies the chance to submit their versions of the new individual service rifle, the Next Generation Squad Weapon, chambered in 6.8mm, the same round that developers are using for the Next Generation Squad Automatic Rifle program.
    It is a wish project, nothing more, nothing less. The Army is NOT switching to anything anytime soon.
    Cuda66, MMinSC, OD* and 3 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I don't think it is pie-in-the-sky. The Army has asked for prototype rounds for testing. The're also saying they want to replace 80,000 M4's and SAW's by 2022. Military Times is saying they are working hard on the project.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...-lot-deadlier/
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    From the article:

It is a wish project, nothing more, nothing less. The Army is NOT switching to anything anytime soon.
    Is this the same type of situation as when we heard all about the Army potentially switching to 6.8 SPC several years ago?
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

The army has been known to drop development contracts a time or two. I wouldn't hold my breath until it comes into service. I worked on the RAH-66 Comanche program. Here today--billions later--gone tomorrow.
    5lima30ret, baren, MMinSC and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The army has been known to drop development contracts a time or two. I wouldn't hold my breath until it comes into service. I worked on the RAH-66 Comanche program. Here today--billions later--gone tomorrow.
    There were posters of those things all over Ft. Hood in the 90's. $30 billion later...poof! Could have bought 1,000 Apache Longbow's for that.
    OldChap likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    There were posters of those things all over Ft. Hood in the 90's. $30 billion later...poof! Could have bought 1,000 Apache Longbow's for that.
    But then you wouldn't have that fancy Blackhawk tail they left lying in Bin Laden's front yard.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I don't think it is pie-in-the-sky. The Army has asked for prototype rounds for testing. The're also saying they want to replace 80,000 M4's and SAW's by 2022. Military Times is saying they are working hard on the project.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...-lot-deadlier/
    Replacing 80,000 M4's and SAW's. Too bad we can't take them off their hands.
    Then the left can truly say that we have assault weapons.
    retired badge 1 and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    Is this the same type of situation as when we heard all about the Army potentially switching to 6.8 SPC several years ago?
    Yep, until you see a detailed purchase order.
    OldChap, OD*, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Now that would be an interesting topic and to hear what you have to share on that program during OldVet storytime. But based on my brother-in-law's satcom non-disclosure I suppose we have to wait 70 years or so to hear them from you, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Replacing 80,000 M4's and SAW's. Too bad we can't take them off their hands.
    Then the left can truly say that we have assault weapons.
    If they opened that up for competitive bidding I suspect that all I would have to offer is a couple of bucks over scrap metal value, like the usual Defense Department buyers will offer.

I could be the first kid on my block with a genuine SAW and M4! All the other kids will want to come over and play at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    Now that would be an interesting topic and to hear what you have to share on that program during OldVet storytime. But based on my brother-in-law's satcom non-disclosure I suppose we have to wait 70 years or so to hear them from you, eh?
    When the news showed the crashed Blackhawk in Pakistan, I knew exactly where the secret tail came from, although the modified BH was still very secret squirrel at the time. It never got past the two prototypes, neither of which had any of the fancy weaponry or sensor systems that were planned nor even developed yet. It was just a flying airframe. Pretty neat to watch it flying sometimes when they'd put a on a demo for some visiting VIP.
    Risasi likes this.

Distinguished Member
    From what I read the Army might actually field new the new gear in about five years nce they get the reviojs decided and tested. No one really knows what the outcome will be.

The Corps went a different way. All infantry will carry the M27 with suppressor, and the SAW will be gone. All magazines will synthetic, and a better 5.56 round will be employed. There are 11,000 infantry rifleman in the Corps. Several battalions are already being so equipped. To avoid thread drift I will not get into the reasoning behind it, but just know the Corps is being redesigned to no longer be used in roles better suited to the Army.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links