Houston Nacrotics Raid Update

This is a discussion on Houston Nacrotics Raid Update within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those not very close to events, the investigation into the bogus narcotics raid by a Houston Police Narcotics squad in which five officers were ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Houston Nacrotics Raid Update

For those not very close to events, the investigation into the bogus narcotics raid by a Houston Police Narcotics squad in which five officers were shot, has gone from bad to worse.

The two lead narcotics officers have been charged with murder. The police union has dropped them like a hot potato - they were covering their legal fees. This kind of walks back the fiery speech on the night of the events where the two residents were killed by the union chief. The word (rumor) locally is that the sterling example of a police chief we inherited from Austin is most likely going to get caught in the whirlpool of debris now circling the drain and sucked out to sea. I believe that will cause a huge sigh of relief among the citizens of Houston.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/i...ng-street-raid

One has to wonder both how high and how deep the rot inside HPD goes.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

HPD needs a major overhaul. There was another story on the news this morning, not sure if you saw it, but they raided the wrong house, then threatened to kill their dog.
    We get the government we deserve.

Doubt this will have a negative impact on the Chief. Goines was with the department thirty four years. Acevedo hasn't even been there three years yet. Having run the investigation internally and brought murder charges may actually enhance his standing. I expect we are going to see major house cleaning in the narcotics units. As one person said, these charges are just the tip of the iceberg.
    Acevedo may become known as "The guy who cleaned up Houston Police."
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Doubt this will have a negative impact on the Chief. Goines was with the department thirty four years. Acevedo hasn't even been there three years yet. Having run the investigation internally and brought murder charges may actually enhance his standing. I expect we are going to see major house cleaning in the narcotics units. As one person said, these charges are just the tip of the iceberg.
    Acevedo may become known as "The guy who cleaned up Houston Police."
    With any luck, turner will soon be replaced by someone who will fire him.
    gatorbait51 and OldChap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post

With any luck, turner will soon be replaced by someone who will fire him.
    I think firing him before the investigation is complete would be political suicide.
    Having been a union shop steward in a police department the fact that the union is distancing itself from these guys speaks volumes.
    Blaming Acevedo for these guys is the equivalent of blaming Trump for guys hired by Reagan and went rogue under Obama ( or Bush or Clinton). Firing him for this, especially before the cases go through the courts, would just reek of cover up.
    gatorbait51, OldChap and MMinSC like this.

I don't think the mood of the people demands Art be fired. They just don't trust the mayor - for good reason. I think there might be a good chance of Turner becoming unemployed in the next election. It probably follows that it would be good politics for a newly elected mayor to fire a generally unpopular police chief. I think Turner may have already committed political suicide by his stance on numerous issues since he took office.

The old adage is still true...the buck stops here. Regardless of who is in charge, once they find out about such lawlessness, failure to act means the buck has landed squarely on their desk. That just goes with the territory.

I will be interested to hear how the HPD officers I know feel about it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Failure to act would be grounds to fire him. But Acevedo has definitely acted on this. I expect a lot of command staff will be fired and possibly also facing charges. I would not be surprised to see twenty or more people who were either in narcotics directly or having supervisory authority over these guys to be indicted. I would be surprised if this is the only unit to come under scrutiny.
    OldChap and gatorbait51 like this.

Goines used convicted felon snitches for years to railroad folks into prison. Goines deserves the needle if convicted of murder.
    OldChap and gatorbait51 like this.

I would not be surprised if we see hundreds of convictions overturned because of this. And tens of millions of dollars in settlements paid out.
    OldChap, gatorbait51 and alsaqr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I think firing him before the investigation is complete would be political suicide.
    Having been a union shop steward in a police department the fact that the union is distancing itself from these guys speaks volumes.
    Blaming Acevedo for these guys is the equivalent of blaming Trump for guys hired by Reagan and went rogue under Obama ( or Bush or Clinton). Firing him for this, especially before the cases go through the courts, would just reek of cover up.
    These things are occurring under his watch though. Itís not like he took over yesterday. People are upset when people riot because they are unhappy with police, yet we have this kind of crap going on here. If he canít fix it, someone else needs to.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I don't think the mood of the people demands Art be fired. They just don't trust the mayor - for good reason. I think there might be a good chance of Turner becoming unemployed in the next election. It probably follows that it would be good politics for a newly elected mayor to fire a generally unpopular police chief. I think Turner may have already committed political suicide by his stance on numerous issues since he took office.

The old adage is still true...the buck stops here. Regardless of who is in charge, once they find out about such lawlessness, failure to act means the buck has landed squarely on their desk. That just goes with the territory.

I will be interested to hear how the HPD officers I know feel about it.
    The only thing turner really has going for him is that the police love him.
    OldChap likes this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Boy, and I thought Dallas PD was a crap show.
    Our cop just gets off the elevator on the wrong floor goes into an apartment that she thinks is hers and blows away the guy.
    My dad years ago told me one of the reasons he retired in the late 70's was how the dept was relaxing qualifications for the job
    to get better numbers in the way of diversity. Sometimes I wonder if that is part of the problem

These things are occurring under his watch though. Itís not like he took over yesterday. People are upset when people riot because they are unhappy with police, yet we have this kind of crap going on here. If he canít fix it, someone else needs to.

The only thing turner really has going for him is that the police love him.
    Don't ever ask a firefighter though! Our grand son in law will straighten you right out!
    Havok likes this.

@KILTED COWBOY A lot of the problem is the relatively low pay and the lack of respect from the communities they serve. That makes it easy for the temptation of a lot of bucks to roll in very quickly, and drugs are an easy answer.

I know dozens and dozens of police and firefighters / medics who must work two or three jobs to support their families. Then they all know the last time they see their family may be the day they leave to go to work.

The situation breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Don't ever ask a firefighter though! Our grand son in law will straighten you right out!
    Lol. Oh I know very well! Does he work for HFD?
    OldChap likes this.

Lol. Oh I know very well! Does he work for HFD?
    No...that the good Lord he works for Humble FD. He works a second job as a transfer paramedic for a hospital. he and our grand daughter also have two of their own companies. They do trauma training for companies, including CPR certification and automated defibrillator certification, plus some other stuff.
    Havok and OD* like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links