If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... - Page 12

If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

This is a discussion on If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I and many others tend to be practical in daily life. Even if it is legal to open carry a rifle or shotgun, I'm not ...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

I and many others tend to be practical in daily life. Even if it is legal to open carry a rifle or shotgun, I'm not generally going to walk around all day wearing an AR-15 at least not in the low crime and low risk environment I'm in. Can something happen that forces me to respond with deadly force? Sure, and that's why I carry a pistol.

Because of this it's unlikely that OC of long guns will become a common sight during normal life. As it is, many (most?) CCW permit holders don't even EDC a pistol; advocating more people EDC a rifle isn't a winning strategy, it simply isn't going to happen.

Honestly, if I see someone walk into my church with an AR-15 my concern meter is going to peg quickly. I'm not afraid of guns at all, I've slept with a full auto more years of my life than I care to admit while overseas, but seeing someone carry a carbine to mass in the US is so far beyond social norms that it will get my full attention.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Those spectacular unfavorable results happened at first when the few individuals started open carrying pistols in Michigan too. And yet because people persevered the end result was spectacularly favorable.
    Is there historical record of the above that can be researched? Was it met as favorably in Flynt and Detroit cities? You make it appear as if OC is prevalent in those inner cities, I'd have to see some documentation in that

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    I and many others tend to be practical in daily life. Even if it is legal to open carry a rifle or shotgun, I'm not generally going to walk around all day wearing an AR-15 at least not in the low crime and low risk environment I'm in. Can something happen that forces me to respond with deadly force? Sure, and that's why I carry a pistol.

Because of this it's unlikely that OC of long guns will become a common sight during normal life. As it is, many (most?) CCW permit holders don't even EDC a pistol; advocating more people EDC a rifle isn't a winning strategy, it simply isn't going to happen.

Honestly, if I see someone walk into my church with an AR-15 my concern meter is going to peg quickly. I'm not afraid of guns at all, I've slept with a full auto more years of my life than I care to admit while overseas, but seeing someone carry a carbine to mass in the US is so far beyond social norms that it will get my full attention.
    Soon as seen, some of us would start moving into a position to respond if need be in that scenario.
    PhaedrusIV, Cuda66 and graydude like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post

My immediate reaction will be that he has come to kill us all.

It's not much of a stretch to believe that those less-versed and unaccustomed to seeing such things in their everyday lives will believe the same thing in other venues.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Where did I mention anything about specifically inner cities? I have repeatedly said open carriers had a favorable effect on Michigan's public opinion about guns in public and that is true.

There aren't any studies or even any polls that I am aware of that addresses how open carry has changed public opinion in inner cities but there is this:

https://www.macombdaily.com/news/det...74013d57d.html

Detroit Open Carry | YouCanCarry.com

And I can offer the subjective evidence of my own experiences in Flint from the beginning of the open carry movement when folks looked at me with caution to now when people just don't care. Not much to go on but there it is.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Where did I mention anything about specifically inner cities? I have repeatedly said open carriers had a favorable effect on Michigan's public opinion about guns in public and that is true.

There aren't any studies or even any polls that I am aware of that addresses how open carry has changed public opinion in inner cities but there is this:

https://www.macombdaily.com/news/det...74013d57d.html

Detroit Open Carry | YouCanCarry.com
    How about churches? You good with an unfamiliar AR guy coming in to educate the parishioners on the virtues of open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How about churches? You good with an unfamiliar AR guy coming in to educate the parishioners on the virtues of open carry?
    Yes. Do you have a problem with guns in church?
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

VIP Member
    Like I said a couple posts back, if I see such a sight in mine, I will go with the belief he has come to kill us all.

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Like I said a couple posts back, if I see such a sight in mine, I will go with the belief he has come to kill us all.
    Would it be different if the guy brought in a pistol?

VIP Member
    In hand? Absolutely not.

In hand? Absolutely not.
    You didn't say anything about "in hand" when you asked:

Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Moving goalposts?

VIP Member

Moving goalposts?
    Not at all, unless the AR guy has somehow made his rifle invisible.

Moving goalposts?
    Not at all, unless the AR guy has somehow made his rifle invisible.
    If you are referring to the guy in the picture in the original post his hold isn't a firing grip but is a stabilizing grip to keep the rifle secure. Sure that grip can change into a firing grip but so could someone resting their wrist/arm on their pistol change into a firing grip.

Maybe you would consider those actions to be evidence of the intent to shoot up the place but I would take that and the totality of the person's actions/behavior into consideration before deciding if there is danger or not. The mere presence of the gun and the man's hand on the gun alone would not be the deciding factor.
    RedSafety likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    How about 2-4 guys in suits/ladies in nice dresses or business suits, maybe even ties, carrying an AR, handing out literature on AR's and guns, real stories of how citizens defended themselves and others from violent criminals. This is assuming open carry is legal. Right outside the Walmart parking lot where there's normally some guy or gal with a sign, needing help with medicine, gas, food, etc.
    Bikenut likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    If you are referring to the guy in the picture in the original post his hold isn't a firing grip but is a stabilizing grip to keep the rifle secure. Sure that grip can change into a firing grip but so could someone resting their wrist/arm on their pistol change into a firing grip.

Maybe you would consider those actions to be evidence of the intent to shoot up the place but I would take that and the totality of the person's actions/behavior into consideration before deciding if there is danger or not. The mere presence of the gun and the man's hand on the gun alone would not be the deciding factor.
    The sight of the rifle itself in my synagogue would indeed be the deciding factor, unless there was a cop in uniform behind it. Even at that, I would be extremely suspicious of the legitimacy of his credentials and presence there.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Sponsored Links