If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... - Page 13

If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

This is a discussion on If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RedSafety How about 2-4 guys in suits/ladies in nice dresses or business suits, maybe even ties, carrying an AR, handing out literature ...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    How about 2-4 guys in suits/ladies in nice dresses or business suits, maybe even ties, carrying an AR, handing out literature on AR's and guns, real stories of how citizens defended themselves and others from violent criminals. This is assuming open carry is legal. Right outside the Walmart parking lot where there's normally some guy or gal with a sign, needing help with medicine, gas, food, etc.
    I'm sure some gun folks would geek up and be ready in case they wanted to shoot up the place. Especially if one of them put his hand on his AR.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    All I see is a guy hanging out at some event and nobody is panicking. No big deal. So please enlighten us about the event this guy is at.
    Bikenut likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    How about 2-4 guys in suits/ladies in nice dresses or business suits, maybe even ties, carrying an AR, handing out literature on AR's and guns, real stories of how citizens defended themselves and others from violent criminals. This is assuming open carry is legal. Right outside the Walmart parking lot where there's normally some guy or gal with a sign, needing help with medicine, gas, food, etc.
    They both get a wide berth from me.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The very idea that OCing a rifle in public is a social norm is beyond absurd.

The rifle, by its design and purpose of fighting is an offensive weapon, not a defensive weapon.

Sure, in the home, or in circumstances it would be, can be, and has been used for defensive. However, this is not a social norm.
    And, considering some of the latest shootings with rifles lately, one would not only be prudent, but wholly justified in thinking the worst if you are at a place and encounter someone walking around with one in their hands, or even at sling arms.

The battle for public opinion is damaged for us when these overzealous people do things in public like this. It shows a lack of respect and a lack consideration for other people around them.

This is my opinion on the matter.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    If you are referring to the guy in the picture in the original post his hold isn't a firing grip but is a stabilizing grip to keep the rifle secure. Sure that grip can change into a firing grip but so could someone resting their wrist/arm on their pistol change into a firing grip.

Maybe you would consider those actions to be evidence of the intent to shoot up the place but I would take that and the totality of the person's actions/behavior into consideration before deciding if there is danger or not. The mere presence of the gun and the man's hand on the gun alone would not be the deciding factor.
    The sight of the rifle itself in my synagogue would indeed be the deciding factor, unless there was a cop in uniform behind it. Even at that, I would be extremely suspicious of the legitimacy of his credentials and presence there.
    Really? I find that interesting.

Oh.... I used to attend a church that had bi weekly trap shooting events. I wonder had you walked in as a visitor would you have freaked to see someone carrying a shotgun on his way to the church bathroom? Or carrying shotgun and ammo walking through on the way to the church backyard? I mean the mere presence of a long gun in church (without taking the totality of the situation into account) must mean the guy is going to blast away... right?

Or is changing from an AR to a shotgun moving goalposts?
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

Oh.... I used to attend a church that had bi weekly trap shooting events. I wonder had you walked in as a visitor would you have freaked to see someone carrying a shotgun on his way to the church bathroom? Or carrying shotgun and ammo walking through on the way to the church backyard? I mean the mere presence of a long gun in church (without taking the totality of the situation into account) must mean the guy is going to blast away... right?

This is getting ridiculous.
    Cuda66 and G-man* like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    This is getting ridiculous.
    You mean coo coo banana town ?
    PhaedrusIV likes this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

VIP Member

Carry in a house of worship without governing board authorization is a felony in Ohio (and many other states). In our synagogue, there is probably nothing else in the totality of the situation to take into account. Anyone carrying openly and legally on synagogue property outside of the building itself would be told to vacate immediately.

Well I guess the point I've been trying to make about gun owners ridiculing those they don't agree with .........

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You mean coo coo banana town ?
    Just exactly that, Chuck.
    G-man* likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Well I guess the point I've been trying to make about gun owners ridiculing those they don't agree with .........
    Well, your damn right skippy.

Other people have a stake in this thing too; it’s not all about you or the few other wingnuts out there that are bring negative connotations to the gun community at large.

Since some cant self regulate and control their selfish idealism, then in fact someone else will.....one way or the other.
    StripesDude and Doghandler like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    I just saw this thread and didn't read any of the ensuing 4 pages. Don't need to. I agree completely with Mike.
    You never need to read these open carry threads. They’re the same cast of characters acting like OC rights are equal to human civil rights, with people bringing in historical civil rights heroes like Rosa Parks.

What these threads have taught me is who I believe has a logical thought process, and who seems to be an emotional wreck on the issue. It can serve to expand your ignore list...
    Wavygravy likes this.

Yes. Do you have a problem with guns in church?
    I've never seen a gun openly carried in a church outside a war zone.

If I saw a OC'd pistol in a holster in my church I'd assess the carrier. Is it a regular, someone I know, or a complete stranger to me? Is the person calm, excited, aloof, engaged, happy, angry? Are they familiar with the flow of entry, and events? What kind of presence and attitude are they displaying? How are people around them reacting?

If I saw a long gun of any kind in church my first reaction would be to usher my family away, without gaining the carrier's attention if possible.

Do you carry a long gun to church? If yes, what's the reaction? If no, why not?
    Mike1956 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Well, your damn right skippy.

Other people have a stake in this thing too; it’s not all about you or the few other wingnuts out there that are bring negative connotations to the gun community at large.

Since some cant self regulate and control their selfish idealism, then in fact someone else will.....one way or the other.
    Yep, it isn't just the anti gunners who are willing to insist guns are only carried in ways they personally consider acceptable.

VIP Member
    Pot, kettle...
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Sponsored Links