If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... - Page 15

If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

This is a discussion on If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldChap Brother...I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and just figure you had some kind of “senior moment.” ...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
Results 211 to 215 of 215
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: If You Are Like This Guy, You Are Not Helping...

  1. #211
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    17,066
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Brother...I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and just figure you had some kind of “senior moment.” Our SWAT team carried AR’s, shotguns, and pistols. I can’t remember a single moment when it wasn’t the team leader who determined if those weapons were going to be used offensively or defensively. I struggle to think of a single weapon system that was designed solely for offensive use.
    Yes, I know, that is why I made it clear in an earlier post that the weapon “ could be, might be, and has been used defensively”

    But there is a reason handguns are known as “ sidearms”.
    And it is also very clear that the weapon of choice for defensive carry is a sidearm. These are the social norms even within our own subculture. Point of fact.
    Cuda66, OldChap, OD* and 1 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

  2. #212
    Senior Member Array Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Too close to Saginaw Mi.
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    My point was taking the totality of the situation into account before deciding whether the person carrying a rifle was a danger or not... whether in public or even in church. And that the same holds true for any open carrier rifle or pistol.

    I have not carried a long gun at church but I do know of folks who carried shotguns during the bi weekly trap shoots at church.
    The totality of the situation is there is nothing so urgent at church that my family can't come back later. We don't need to wait to find out why someone is carrying a rifle or shotgun to church, we can simply find an expedient exit and find out from others how things unfolded. If I over react by leaving with my family, oh well, that's a very low cost especially compared to the risk of being shot.
    What you decide to do according to your perception of the totality of the situation is one thing. Denigrating, ridiculing, and insulting the guy carrying for doing nothing wrong does nothing good for the right to bear arms and helps the anti gunners say... "Hey, even the gun folks don't like it so we can ban it with their blessing."
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

  3. #213
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    17,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    If I am assuming folks learned just because they were next to a guy with one of those scary black rifles doesn't mean they will surely be shot because they were not shot then...

    I'd say you are assuming they may be thinking “ yeah, I see why they want to get rid of private ownership of these weapons because these people are without filters”.


    Just stop. The point is that we are both assuming! Duh!

    But with no personal interaction and communication there is nothing conveyed. And if there is nothing conveyed, there is nothing taught.

    Next point please. Give me any other reason to believe that OCing a rifle in public as a defensive tool in this current climate is a positive thing, now that we have determined it cannot be proved it provides any form of education?
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

  4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #214
    VIP Member Array G-man*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    17,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    "Hey, even the gun folks don't like it so we can ban it with their blessing."
    The premise of your entire point of view hinges solely on a straw man argument.
    AzQkr likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

    “ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

  6. #215
    Senior Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    18,459
    This thread has ceased to add illumination to the topic, and the same opinions are being repeated.

    Closed.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •